Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jackfrost88

Thread: Dead Lift Stance

Coma is offline New Member

Dead Lift Stance

So I have been doing my dead lifts with a wider stance for a while now (4 months or so) and have noticed that I am able to push, or pick up, more weight. Being that I am very short, 5'7, should I switch my stance between wide and narrow? I feel like I am no longer getting the full impact on my legs, but everything feels great.

monster-ish is offline Associate Member
    Are you doing deads strictly for legs? I feel like deads work legs but nothing like say sqauts I only do deads for lower back work

jackfrost88 is offline Associate Member
    Really depends on the person and the mechanics of your body. Even though you are 5'7 it doesn't mean you necessarily should squat more sumo style. Try different variations and see what works best for you.

Are you more hamstring dominant / quad dominant /strong lumbar / strong hips / proportionately long legs etc?

The way which feels the most natural and where you can lift the most weight is the best way

Being so short, which is super awesome BTW, I have always had trouble gripping the bar and still being able to dead lift without horrible form. I have tried using the diamond bar setup as well, and that seems to target my legs more than anything. I am quad dominant and have a pretty weak lumbar IMO, but my hips are just fine and I have never had any issue there. Having very short legs is terrible, but I can't really do anything about it, so I will just switch it up and see what works and feels the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Coma View Post
    Being so short, which is super awesome BTW, I have always had trouble gripping the bar and still being able to dead lift without horrible form. I have tried using the diamond bar setup as well, and that seems to target my legs more than anything. I am quad dominant and have a pretty weak lumbar IMO, but my hips are just fine and I have never had any issue there. Having very short legs is terrible, but I can't really do anything about it, so I will just switch it up and see what works and feels the best.
    Sounds like there are a few sticking points or muscular imbalances which are holding your deadlift back.

With short legs you have an edge since the bar path has to travel was less as im sure you have found . With a sumo style you are feeling stronger and lifting more weight so I would continue to use that method. If you are concerned about not working out other muscle groups switch it up and do conventional to hit the back/hamstrings more.

Since you are quad dominant it makes sense that you feel stronger wider apart.

I would focus on strengthening the lumbar / hamstrings / back to get the most out of a conventional stance.

Exercises which REALLY help with this are: Good mornings, stiff leg deadlifts (romanian deadlift), back extensions, face pulls, glute ham raises, single leg deadlifts with barbell / kettlebell. Work those in your program, you don't even need to or want to go heavy on these to start especially. It will start building the muscle mind connection and work on areas of improvement with your weak spots.

Example would be, starting with squats say 5x5. Add in stiff leg deadlifts after as another "compound" lift which focuses more on the hamstrings.

Well that sounds like something I will absolutely try out. Thanks for the advice

No problem

Well.... I tried out the single leg dead lift with a barbell. After learning how not to fall over, I did five sets for each leg using only 75 pounds. I no longer like you as I am quite sore . This hit some muscles that haven't been used in a while I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Coma View Post
    Well.... I tried out the single leg dead lift with a barbell. After learning how not to fall over, I did five sets for each leg using only 75 pounds. I no longer like you as I am quite sore . This hit some muscles that haven't been used in a while I believe.
    That's what you want man haha, the soreness is your bodies way of telling you that it isn't used to whatever your doing. Should feel those right through the hammies. Keep them stretched out and keep them the exercises in your program. Keep us posted on deadlift gains
    Coma likes this.

pushit_05 is offline Junior Member
    Mix training both sumo and conventional. Both stances will fix any kind of imbalances that you have and carry over greatly to each other.

KinMan is offline New Member
    Always felt more powerful with my legs under me, shoulder width apart. That way my legs are driving upward. If I want to jump really high, that's my natural leg position. Why should it be any different for deadlifting?

solesrch is offline Junior Member
    Like any exercise the body part worked changes with form. I do switch my deadlift form to work different areas.

Thread Information