Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By marcus300

Thread: Power lifting bench, pausing on chest

jackfrost88 is offline Associate Member

Power lifting bench, pausing on chest

So i'm getting ready for my first competition and have never done the PL style where you hold at the top, bring down, then press when the judge tells you too. With a "touch and go" style I have hit 275, and would not even think of missing anything in the 260's.

Tried the PL style for the first time today and barely moved 245 up... I have longish arms and have no experience with the 2-3second pause at the bottom.

Any pointers to bring up my bench to where it should be?

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Stay tight as you bring the bar down. Envision your body being a spring compressed as the bar comes down and exploding on the way up. There are some good vids on elitefts dot com and Mark Bell's supertraining dot tv sites. But to get good starting strength takes training with pauses and very little touch and go benches. DBs help the start too as do Spoto presses. It literally takes years to learn to bench correctly.

Nubster is offline New Member
    - GAL -->

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Just pause every rep from now until the meet and find your groove, it'll become natural in no time. A good starting point is probably going to be lowering the bar slightly lower on your chest, to the sternum/top of the abs instead of the nipple/just below.

I've been pausing all my reps for months now and my paused bench is now significantly better than my touch and go bench.

Dan greens got a great video on the bench, briefly discussing the two primary styles of benching. Would recommend watching it.

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Watch this video with Mark Bell and Eric Spoto for tricks of the trade on the bench press. Excellent video imho

jackfrost88 is offline Associate Member
    Thanks guys, great info. Don't have a whole lot of time but will incorporate into my program

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus300 View Post
    Watch this video with Mark Bell and Eric Spoto for tricks of the trade on the bench press. Excellent video imho

I literally had the link copied ready to post in this thread! Haha

haggendaz is offline New Member
    I know dead stop help with competition pause bench. Probably don't want to start these before this meet but something to think about in the future. It's where you rest the bar on pins about an inch away from the chest. You focus on exploding off the pins as fast as you can while using good form. You will use significantly less weight but teaches strength and explosion out of the hole. But obviously you best bet is practice competition pause bench. Good luck in your first meet buddy!

Ugbodybuilder is offline New Member
    Depends if you compete equipped or raw. If your equipped not need to pause in training the shirt will make the bottom of the bench motion the easiest point.

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    Too many guys bounce the bar off their chest.

papathesmurf is offline Junior Member
    I watched a power lifting meet in August and watched a guy bounce 500 lbs off his chest and into his face.

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by papathesmurf View Post
    I watched a power lifting meet in August and watched a guy bounce 500 lbs off his chest and into his face.
    Unfortunately this happens way more than it should.

prenes is offline Junior Member
    keep tight, dont freaking bounce the weights off your chest. raise chest to bar the last inch and hold. visualize elbows being pulled together on a string.....i know that sounds dumb but it works for me.

Couchlock is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus300 View Post

I had that on deck as well

Thread Information