poopwho13 is offline New Member

Best routine to increase Vertical jump?

I'm looking for the best routine to increase my vertical jump. Should I focus on powerlifting? Plyos? or a combo of both?

Blog Entries
    To increase vertical jump my AAU and college team used vertimax in the facilities which helped alot of the bigger men on the basketball team increase their vertical by little increments over time. In my experience, 90% of vertical is genetics and it's very evident by the fact that history of players i've played with never worked out and ate what they wanted but could 360 dunk off of 2 feet at no taller than 6'2" alot of the time....And no matter how much the less athletic guys did air-alert programs and stuff like that they could never even get close despite being maybe taller or having longer arms..

Best way to maximize your potential for your vertical is to be a light (weight-wise) as possible..Even if you're muscular having more weight on you will be detrimental..As low as a weight as possible and least fat on that frame as possible... and to work on your calves, lower back, abdominals and do explosive workouts plyos will help with endurance and maybe will add a small amount on your vertical but we're really talking something that is genetic so it's tough...

hawk14dl is offline Senior Member
    Explosive workouts would be key. Oly lifts would benefit more then power lifts.

Buff99 is offline Junior Member
    squats squats squats....squat 70-80% and be explosive coming out of the hole.

cttoasn is offline Associate Member
    Olympic lifts....I am obviously bias towards my own sport, however watch some videos of little lu xiaojun and you will know what explosive looks like.. Weighs less than 170lbs and can Clean & Jerk over 400lbs. There are videos of him performing max height jumps onto stacks of plates taller than him.

Power lifting is not very explosive, Those dudes strong as ****...just not the most explosive method of training.

papathesmurf is offline Junior Member
    As I stated in my introduction I did crossfit for about 10 years before I switched my lifting style. I credit ploy metrics and pause squats for my ability to jump... Though my vertical skills have been decreasing since I switched up how I exercise. As stated by davidtheman100's to jump higher you need to decrease your strength to weight ratio so leaning out will also be key to increasing your vertical.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Pick your parents well and play lots of Bball. Worked well for me

But seriously lots and lots of basketball.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

Thread Information