udit9191 is offline New Member

The effect of steroids on powerlifting

Hello. I am new on this forum.

A while ago I used to be lifting naturally at a pretty high bodyfat percentage. I started weight training in end 2010, going to the gym on and off. Then I decided to eat a lot more food, and I saw results, for some reason even though it did not reflect on my physique at all I didt look muscular and stuff, but I was immensely naturally strong. People all over the gym would look at me and be like 'holy hell you dont even use gear how do you lift that'. After about a year of going to the gym from there on 2 times a weekon and off (mind you I was in a super tough course in college it took a lot out of me I would regularly miss training session/take a month off for exams etc), after such haphazard training in a year going to the gym 1-2 times a week I benched around 380lbs (touching my chest touch n go). I did it on 2 occasions the first time it felt heavy, but the second time it went up so fast and felt much much lighter. It was not surprising as I would do 3 plates (315 lbs) for about 5-6 reps (touch n go touching my chest). I only weighed 195 lbs but I was pretty high in body fat. At the time I was thinking "what would be happening if I keep bulking and training properly and doing this for a few years could I be a 500lb without steroids bench presser"? Soon after this however I suffered from depression and gave up weights altogether.

My question is this: I have never used steroids I know absolutely nothing about them other that they all try and mimic the testosterone that is made in our body, how does steroids affect strength in terms of lbs gained in lifts? I mean honestly, how much does gear REALLY affect lifting? I would really like honest answers because I would always put myself down because I wasnt as strong as some youtube guy who was obviously juicing, but I would heavily downplay the role of steroids.

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    There is no straight answer to your vague question. But it's not uncommon for many of your lifts to go up 30%+ on your first cycle (though they won't stay that high once you come off, and the gains decrease with subsequent cycles).

73rr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Diet. Figuring out the best way to workout (for u), theno gear.

That is the process and what's going to dictate your gains

Viking13 is offline Associate Member
    Not sure what the question is but nothing replaces consistency across the board, whether it be training, sleep, diet etc. I never cycled powerlifting, but was on a small dose of trt, about 100mg which just put me in a low normal range for males my age. I didn't see any major strength increases during that time, just more efficient fat burning. Did my lifts go up? Yes, but I had better consistency across the board and had a good team of lifters around me to correct form issues. Yes, roids can absolutely make one stronger, but take your natural ability as far as it can go before ever considering it. Get out of your twenties first, think long term. A lot of these young cats that juice aren't thinking about how it will affect their reproductive system, their organs or their wallet in the future.

Juced_porkchop is offline Knowledgeable Member
    if everything else is on point aas will help lifts and gains, it will drop a bit when off but it will stay up higher than before if everything else stays on point and you have a good pct/recovery

Late_Starter is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by udit9191 View Post
    Hello. I am new on this forum.

A while ago I used to be lifting naturally at a pretty high bodyfat percentage. I started weight training in end 2010, going to the gym on and off. Then I decided to eat a lot more food, and I saw results, for some reason even though it did not reflect on my physique at all I didt look muscular and stuff, but I was immensely naturally strong. People all over the gym would look at me and be like 'holy hell you dont even use gear how do you lift that'. After about a year of going to the gym from there on 2 times a weekon and off (mind you I was in a super tough course in college it took a lot out of me I would regularly miss training session/take a month off for exams etc), after such haphazard training in a year going to the gym 1-2 times a week I benched around 380lbs (touching my chest touch n go). I did it on 2 occasions the first time it felt heavy, but the second time it went up so fast and felt much much lighter. It was not surprising as I would do 3 plates (315 lbs) for about 5-6 reps (touch n go touching my chest). I only weighed 195 lbs but I was pretty high in body fat. At the time I was thinking "what would be happening if I keep bulking and training properly and doing this for a few years could I be a 500lb without steroids bench presser"? Soon after this however I suffered from depression and gave up weights altogether.

My question is this: I have never used steroids I know absolutely nothing about them other that they all try and mimic the testosterone that is made in our body, how does steroids affect strength in terms of lbs gained in lifts? I mean honestly, how much does gear REALLY affect lifting? I would really like honest answers because I would always put myself down because I wasnt as strong as some youtube guy who was obviously juicing, but I would heavily downplay the role of steroids.
    In a weightclass sport - not as much as you think.. although if you use something just before a meet it can help with the neuro aspect, something androgenic help with the aggression too.

Also for a given height - I would think you're most competitive at the weight class that allows you to hold the most muscle percentage.. that can take years and years so I guess steroids help you get there.

This is the best analysis I know of on this subject: (search for greg nuchols steroids-for-strength-sports) and click dissapointing truth. I can't post links as I'm a new member.
    He has a few articles in the series you need to read them all before you judge.

The other thing to do is to watch Pete Rubish's youtube channel. Apparently he was deadlifting up to 700lb before he started using, based on years of Natty hard training since his teens. I think you can get very strong, you just won't look "amazing" naturally. Steroids should allow you to go into a weight class leaner as well.
    The other thing you'll see from Pete's channel is his current doses are very low for an elite (under 1 gram all compounds), that the training cycles are important not the total compounds you take.

Thread Information