Thread: Need help

Slugger is offline Junior Member

Need help

Hey guys. Just wanna say hello I'm new to the forum. It looks pretty good though. I've been reading the posts for a couple months now and only now decided to post. Anyhow I posted this on the workout forum and got some good replies from a couple people. I was hoping you guys could help me as well.

Anyway my story is this:

I'm 23 6'0 200 lbs. I have not been on a lifting program in 3 years. I have boxing trained/sparred on and off for a couple years now. I feel like crap. I have a gut. My muscles are soft and atrophied. I have never done roadwork (sprints/jog). I eat like 2 times a day. I average 4 hours sleep a night. I'm a mess. I USED to be in shape that's the sad part. I would like to get back into shape. My ultimate goal is I'd like to compete in amateur boxing at a mucled hard 200 lbs. within the next year WITHOUT taking steroids . What is the best and most realistic path to take? Here are two different courses of action I could take(let me know if you agree) Keep in mind I am in neither lifiting or cardio shape.

1) Get right back into everything at once. Lift 4 days a week, box 5 days a week, run sprints 3 days a week, jog for miles 5 days a week(staring at 1 mile and working up), eat 6-7 clean meals a day, drink 2 gallons of water a day, take supplements (multivitamin,glucosamine,glutamine,creatine,and protein shake), sleep 8 hours a night. etc

I think this could be good because I'm getting right back into everything at once. But I also think it could be bad because I might be overdoing it too soon. I also think my muscles would be even more atrophied with all the cardio I would be doing. I think I would lose alot of weight too fast.Is it possible that with lifting weights I could put on muscle and make myself solid even though I'm doing a ton of cardio? I'm 200 now, if after say 2 months, what would my weight be? Could I still be 200 but be solid?

or...

2) For the next five months just lift weights. NO cardio. Eat clean, take supps, sleep good and lift. After 5 months of just lifting, lift AND run sprints and roadwork for a month. NO boxing. After a month of doing that, than lift, run, and box. I think that would be good because I'd be gradually getting back into everything so I wouldn't be overdoing it. It would also be good because with just lifting and no cardio for 5 months
    my muscles would no longer be soft and atrophied and would be solid. But this could also be bad because without doing cardio for 5 months my gut will get even bigger. Is it possible to lose a gut WITHOUT doing any cardio?
    So what's better? Remember I'm going all natural. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. You guys know much more than me. Thank you.

the first one is a triple threat.... you're getting cardio and strength while gaining mass right off the bat. Go with that one and keep us posted on your progress.

HP

Thanks Presser. But as i stated my muscles now are soft. No hardness at all. In fact on my arms I can feel right to the bone. Don't you think by the first scenario I stated all that cardio along with the weightlifting is going to wither them even further?

No, even with tons of cardio you'll still be building muscle and size as your body will not be accustomed to the stress you're putting on it. So you will be growing while you are cutting...good luck!

HP

Hey Presser. Thanks for your advice. I don't mean to sound like a pain but I don't think you realize, I haven't been on a lifting program in 3 years. I have been doing boxing on/off for the last couple of years. My muscles are extremely soft. I know you said I will grow even though I'm doing alot of cardio just because my body isn't used to the lifting I'm going to be doing. I'm just concerned my muscles are going to get even more softer with all the cardio (even though I'm lifting).

Also I have some loose skin. If I do this cardio and lifting routine will my skin tighten up. Also Presser, I know everybody's different but if I'm 200 now in say 2 months what can I expect to be weighing at if I get in total boxing shape (lifting, running,sparring,etc). I'm sure I will gain muscle and lose fat will I most like y weight the same, just be a 'solid' 200? Or will I lose weight? Gain weight?

Like I said I don't mean to be a pain

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    You might want to read some Frank Shamrock stuff, he has an interesting split.

I think he does cardio 6x a week.
    Plyometrics 2x a week.
    Lifts 2x a week. (takes 3 workouts to work whole body)
    Practices fighting skills/exercises 2x a week.

Just another way to approach it, plyometrics is definitely something that would greatly help a boxer and i wouldn't leave that out.

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Oh and of course he has one complete day of rest every week.

Rx-AS is offline New Member
    I would go with the #1 and don't be shy about eating!!! Oh, and I would try the plyometrics...and most importantly, keep us posted!

Thread Information