Xavier_4446 is offline Senior Member

Why pyramid up? Why not down?

I have read a lot of powerlifters pyramid up. Such as start out low weight high reps then go to heavy weight low reps. Why couldn't someone do the complete opposite? This would allow your muscles to be so fatigued when you got to that heavy set. Explaination anyone?

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Powerlifting you basically max out to get stronger, not so much bigger - there is a difference in the training.

And how do you reverse pyramid up ?? low weight low reps, high weight high reps ?? good luck on that.

Pwrlfter is offline Junior Member
    I usually do sets with lower weights and pyramid up as a warm up so I don't snap my back in half when I do the real weights.

Xavier_4446 is offline Senior Member
    well, I have always read that each excerise you should go to til fatigue. When I start out with a weight where I can get 12 reps to fatigue, it is pretty hard for me to go up to another weight and pull 12 reps out of that.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier_4446
    well, I have always read that each excerise you should go to til fatigue. When I start out with a weight where I can get 12 reps to fatigue, it is pretty hard for me to go up to another weight and pull 12 reps out of that.
    Powerlifter's aren't busting out sets of 12 many times. They'll do it in the beginning to warm up with, but then they start adding weight quick, doing sets of 3. Rest a minute. Set of 3. Repeat until you can't do 3, then start doing sets of 1.

This is what I got out of reading some WSB info. I could be wrong.

Like I said, they train for strength, and not for size (hyptertrophy)

Ermantroudt is offline Associate Member
    I am a PLer, I do not really pyramid up in weight, I warm-up till I get to my working weight, then get my work. Read the atricles at www.elitefts.com

Erm

JGK
    JGK is offline Junior Member
    The only time I pyramid up is on ME days where I'm doing triples and singles.

powerlifterjay is offline Respected Member
    Ya i just go up enough to get ready for the big weight. I keep my reps low going up. I actually dont count sets until i get to my working weight. But i on the other hand do come down sometimes. When powerlifting.

homeboybonanza is offline Associate Member
    I like to do slow sets of 6, working my way up to my working sets. For example, last weekend's PUSH workout looked like this for Incline Bench Press:
    Warmup 4 light sets of pec dec. Incline Press135x15, 225x6, 275x6, 315x6, 365x6, 385x6, 405x4,4,4,4, 135x15speed reps).
    The idea is to warmup as much as needed, hit your heavy work, then work your way down if you must...which is almost never. Speed training is great at the end if you do not want to devote a seperate day to it.

Thread Information