Beantown Abuser is offline Junior Member

(CAT) periodization training

I read the article on the CAT periodization training with percentages...Im going to try it for 15 weeks, what do you fellas think? i have been lifting for about 5-6 years now and I have done all kinds of different lifting programs, critical bench etc...and I need somthing different. Anyone have any feedback negative or positive? thanks bros

Ermantroudt is offline Associate Member
    I found I spent too much time with the heavy singles, my main weakness (Other than being weak in general) was speed, which I now address. If you are fast in general, you should do fine with it.

Erm

Hell House is offline New Member
    I've done CAT training before, I noticed it's very difficult to make big gains doing reps of 1 for 15 sets. Your body becomes lazy and accustomed to rare bursts. This may lead to injury.

UNNATURAL POWER is offline New Member
    I've heard good and bad stories about the effects of the CAT training routine. Fact of the matter is you need reps, even high reps, to build strength... this helps the explosive component of your lift. More then likely with constant sets of 15 your body will burn out and your muscle fibers will actually tense up slower, obviously making you weaker. I have heard about people getting good results but ultimately I don't think it's worth it to risk losing explosive power and overtraining your body.
    Peace.

-UNNATURAL POWER

Ermantroudt is offline Associate Member
    "I've done CAT training before, I noticed it's very difficult to make big gains doing reps of 1 for 15 sets. Your body becomes lazy and accustomed to rare bursts. This may lead to injury."

It is perfect for PL, which Doc Squat designed it for, we only perform singles in a meet, so doing singles in training is perfect practice for that setting. If you find you need more volume to make gains, bump up the assitence work.

Unnatural Power: The system involves doing many sets of singles and doubles, not sets of 15.

Erm

Beantown Abuser is offline Junior Member
    I hear what you guys are saying, unnatural power...you say by doing this program I will lse explsive power. However if I preform every single and double as fast as I can I can't see myself losing any explosive power...just a thought. I am going to train 3 days per week mon- bench wed- squat fri- dead, on all 3 days I will be preforming assistance lifts ie. pin lockouts or close grip or floor presses etc... and on squat day things like lunges, hamstrings, glute ham raises etc... what do yu fellas think? thanks!

Hell House is offline New Member
    Hey Beantown,

It's sounds like you don't know much about weights, maybe invest in a personal trainer for a couple of weeks. It works.

kdawg21 is offline Associate Member

Cat training

Plyometric, also known as speed training works wonders. You should check out Luie Simmons website. His training ideas are excellent. Also, DOnt neglect your secondary muscles. Furthermore, the foundation of any good powerlifter is his/her back. Personally I find that a combination of speed training and volume training allow me to get the best of both worlds. If your interested in reading the articles check out www.westside-barbell.com(or some variation of that address). I think you may be pleasantly suprised.

hebert is offline New Member
    I do plyometrics, and I have trained in all different ways. high reps, pyramiding, WSB. I have never done singles for weeks though. How is it that I do not know about training? Not trying to fight, just a question. How does the CAT program hurt? and whats wrong with doing assistance training? Im not overtraining...thanks

kdawg21 is offline Associate Member
    Its not so much the sinlges as it is the repetative motion. You body adjusts rapidly. Eventually your nervous system will not respond to the
    same weight for an extended period of time. However, if you do a motion that is similar but not xactly alike you can train heavy for sveral weeks before you begin to fatigue. For example, flat bench at or above 90% or two weeks followed by board presses at varying heights for two weeks etc... Get the idea?
    Post Script: The links have been taken off of the website however a general search should give you the desired results

hebert is offline New Member
    so KDAWG, like WSB methods of training? like 2 weeks flat bench then board presses for 2 weeks, then floor presses, close grip inclie etc... So nobody agrees with this CAT periodization? Thats a good thing, cause I just started it and I don't wanna waist my time with somthing my body will get used too and no longer make gains.

Thread Information