Thread: Lifting Numbers

kdawg21 is offline Associate Member

Thumbs down Lifting Numbers

Why is it that people feel like they must compete on the message boards? It was my understanding that powerlifting meets were where all the competing was done. I know personally I dont come here to compare... I come to exchange training echniques in hope of becoming a better lifter.

self bump in response to several postings

Little Girl is offline Female Member
    You're sooo right!

shootdeep is offline Member
    unfortunately it's human nature to compare and compete.

Quote Originally Posted by shootdeep
    unfortunately it's human nature to compare and compete.
    You are right also but in the other hand, if you go on other powerlifting boards (powerlifting only), you'll see that people are there to exchange info about lifting and not comparing all the time. I've been told on here by a guy that my squat wasn't good bc he was comparing to his... and I'm lifting 3 times my body weight on squat... Yhea right!

LG

i agree, i'd like to think that it's all in fun. plus i lets the wanna-be's talk smack about what they can move. BTW, what is your squat?

There is a difference between comparing and competing and comming to the boards and lying about what you can do in an effort to make yourself feel better. At that point your jsut setting yourself up for failure.

i agree, you can tell by a member's post history whether they're BSing or not. i hit a thread yesterday that was too unbelievable to be true...atually i think you hit it too. i still haven't gotten a PM from him about how i can double my bench in a couple of weeks....<sigh>

jbrand is offline Member
    Numbers are complete BS most of the time. The guys always throwing out numbers at the gym are achieving those numbers with limited range of motion and momentum. From my experience those guys are always the LOUDEST too and have looked the same for the past 5 years.

And don't forget that there is a big difference between lifting in a gym with friends and lifting in a meet with 3 judges that are just looking for technical errors...

LG

i've seen guys from our gym get ripped off by judges at meets, only to have them reverse the call when they look at the video tape. do you tape your your attempts?

JGK
    JGK is offline Junior Member
    Speaking of meets... anyone know of any newbie friendly meets happening around South Arkansas. I know I wouldn't do very well but I would like to at least go. I've looked all over the web for info and it looks like I'm in a powerlifting deadzone so to speak.

Pwrlfter is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JGK
    Speaking of meets... anyone know of any newbie friendly meets happening around South Arkansas. I know I wouldn't do very well but I would like to at least go. I've looked all over the web for info and it looks like I'm in a powerlifting deadzone so to speak.
    Get a subscription to powerlifting USA, they publish upcoming meet info in the back pages. You will easily find something you are interested in, sometime in the next few months.

JGK
    JGK is offline Junior Member
    k, I'll have to get a subscription then. Thanks!

Thread Information