gripex is offline Junior Member

Plateau'ed Bench, HELP!

I trained alot when i was in high school, about 5 years straight, my max bench at 16 was 305 for one, at 18 it was 330 for one. then i took 5 years off. im 23 now, and been training for a year. A year ago my bench was a measly 235 for one rep, 6 months ago it was 335 for one. (muscle memory, not AS). How ever last 5-6 months it hasnt got any better, in fact its getting weaker. I barely got 275 up today for one rep. Before xmas i tried giving bench a break and took 3 weeks off and only did reps with flys. same thing, still plateaued. I need to talk to an expert on plateauing. I did 8 weeks of winny 6 weeks ago (i got off 6 weeks ago) my strength didnt increase that much (i was doing 335 before winny, and was doing less on winny lol, like 325-330) so i been off winny for 1.5 months and my bench has really gone in the ****ter. what can i do? thanks

sigrabbit is offline Member
    I am no expert on plateaus, but I had the same thing happen when I did a winny cycle. My strength came back after a couple of months, and now I am even stronger. To overcome my plateau, I alternated bench and incline dumbells as my base movements each week. Hopefully a powerlifter can give you better advice, but I bench about he same as you so I thought you could use some encouragement.

Thanks man, just hearing about other people with the sameproblem helps alot.
    Im really wondering if this has anythign to do with the winny or just a regular plateau.
    grip.

i seriously havnt changed my routine in a year. Could this be the problem? I have never experienced a plateau like this before.

sigrabbit is offline Member
    I don't do the same workout two weeks in a row. Many people suggest changing it up every few weeks to shock the muscles.

dalcowbag is offline Anabolic Member
    this is the workout i use, and when i do platue, its only for about 2 weeks or so

Bench:
    week one-3x3
    week two-5x5
    week three-5 sets of 5,4,3,2,1
    week four, 3 sets of 10, 8, 6

its based on the bigger, faster, sronger program and it always has worked for me, and i am benching about the same as you

193lbs
    6'

diesel21 is offline Member
    change it up bro... do something different each week, that is harder on the body part (chest)

always do something different each week... that way you will rarely plateu

Thanks alot guys. Im gunna change it up. Diff exercises, diff reps etc etc. hopefully this works.

kdawg21 is offline Associate Member
    Try to focus more on your supplemental lifts. If you want to get your bech up focus on your rows and tri's for more explosive power. Never neglect the secondary muscles, treat them as if they were a primary group. If you train like that you will spend more time in the gym but it will be a litle more dificult for you to reach a plateau.

superstar is offline New Member
    Where is your sticking poing at?

If it comes off your chest easy, but you can't lock it out, try a series of 1x4 boards taped together it ones, twos, threes and fours on your chest to work those specific points of the lift.

I also do a lot of band work. This keeps it lighter on the bottom of the movement, but heavier on the top, working those sticking points.

-superstar

DF2003 is offline Banned Boofus
    hey shoot check your pm bro

shootdeep is offline Member
    i hit a plateau last year and was pretty pissed. i used board presses, band presses and all that crap. finally i went in did 5 or 6 sets of 20 at max output on flat and incline, plus machine work. i took the next week off and when i got back, i got the lift i wanted. i do that now every 10 weeks . you need to cycle your routine. mine are 10 weeks long even if i'm not juicing

Thread Information