wwwhitepride04 is offline New Member

Increasing my benchpress

Hey there. I'm new here so no trippin. But I'm a senior on my high school weightlifting team and Im trying to win state this year. I am in teh 119 weightclass and right now i pause 230 but my goal is 250 to beat the school record of 245. Also, I do clean and jerk and right now I get 170 and the record is 180. Trying to get 185 to beat that. But the season starts in march and is a short season so state is in the beginning of April. I need made help on how to improve both of them. Right now I do hand cleans, dead lifts, and than clean and jerk together. On bench I used to do 5 sets of 5, but i mix up my workout and do 185 5 times, 190 4 times, 195 3 times, 200 2 times, than max out at 220 1 time. I need help tho. I'm into winnin it this year. Thanks for any help.

powerlifter is offline Anabolic Member
    Do you use Westside training techniques ?

If you haven't then start - board pressing has helped me tremendously ! Lots of Lat and Tri work too!

kdawg21 is offline Associate Member
    check out westside...... work on plyometrics and dont forget to train your lats and tris

ok, im really basic on this stuff but what is westside training techniques?

check out this link www.elitefts.com - read the articles - these guys are on the cutting edge of pure strength training - also try out these forums www.deepsquatter.com and www.diablobarbell.com

also Bro www.westside-barbell.com Louie Simmons is da bomb

BWhitaker is offline Senior Member
    A good forum for talking about powerlifting is drsquat.com . go check it out. Also some really like westside...others dont.

TheDfromGC is offline Anabolic Member
    245 school record? dam, record at my high school was 415, u kids need to start eating ur wheaties...

415@119 pounds????????

yea 415 at 119 would b f'n unreal man. i only weigh 119, wht you expect? i kno my clean and jerks arent great but thats cause i have this shoulder prob to where i cant lock out but ill soon have that record too.

Bro - did you check out those sites ? Hope they help - later

USMC0331 is offline New Member
    check out westside and you will definately beat that record.....boarrd presses, floor presses, close grip incline presses....mini bands, chains.....you will see it all...good luck and build those triceps thats were the power comes from.

bmg
    bmg is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by powerlifter
    check out this link www.elitefts.com - read the articles - these guys are on the cutting edge of pure strength training - also try out these forums www.deepsquatter.com and www.diablobarbell.com
    The sites you have listed here are crap.

phreezer is offline Respected Member
    West side is more for competetive powerlifters.. It may not necessarily be that good of a program for helping a guy who only wants to focus on getting his bench up and it's realy a complicated routine (perhaps too complicated at times) and probably wouldn't suit a guy who’s biggest concern is bench press not competeing in the next PL meet coming up in six-eight weeks.....

Personaly, I think you need to focus on strength building exercises.. and look at what ancillary work can make your bench stronger.. and how to apply exercises to a functional routine...

NUMBER ONE: You need to work on explosiveness.. This is first and foremost, you won't believe how much you can increase your bench by just increasing your speed. I assume you have access to heavy chains.. These are awesome for building speed... I will assume you know the basics of the chain (the chain is long.. so the higher you move the weight the more chain comes off the floor making the bar heavier the higher you go) This way your body learns to use and recruit more fast twitch muscle fiber to get the weight moving a lot faster, and thus using momentum to aid you in the lift..

If I were you, I’d look at doing a two day a week upper body split that focused on making my bench bigger..

Workout one may look something like this ( I don’t feel the need to set up the entire workout.. you can figure out how many curls to do)

*Flat Bench Press (3x5… After four weeks you’ll drop this to 3x3..then in week six you’ll drop these to heavy singles 3X1 ) Your warm ups don't count.. You use a weight that you can do for no more than 5 or 6 reps and that weight will be used for all 3 sets..etc.. for each following week as well.. when you do 3x3 you use a weight you couldn’t do 5 reps with..etc..
    *Board Presses if you can have a partner help you..if not just do Lowgrade Incline barbell Press (3x5) same rules apply as above..
    *Bent over barbell rows.. REAL bentover barbell rows.. 3x5
    *Push PRess 3x5
    *Rear Lateral Raises

This workout focuses on your raw strength… This second workout works on explosiveness..

Workout 2:

Bench press 5x3 with chains (60% of 1RM.. This will increase by 3-5% every week for a total of 6 weeks) (1 minute rest in between sets) Concentrate on making this movement as explosive as possible.
    Decline dumbbell press 3x5
    Lat Pulldowns 5x5
    Powercleans 3x5

I hope this gives you an idea of what I’m talking about.. The muscles that have the biggest impact on your bench are Triceps…Pecs.. Lats.. and front Delts.. (rear delts help a great deal in stabelizing the weight) Increase the strength of these muscles and your bench will improve on that fact alone.. increase the speed and raw explosiveness and your bench will increase simply because of that.. Combine the two, and you’ve got a fairly good program that highschool senior could use to add 30-40 lbs to his bench max with inside of 12 weeks…
    Last edited by phreezer; 02-23-2004 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bmg
    The sites you have listed here are crap.
    and you have some better suggestions ? If so why didn't you list them - be constructive - You must be a huge guy - whadda you bench - like 720 or something ? Squat like 1000 right ? I'll bet you were around and taught Dave Tate everything he knows - please. Posts like that just burn me up.

Quote Originally Posted by phreezer
    West side is more for competetive powerlifters.. It may not necessarily be that good of a program for helping a guy who only wants to focus on getting his bench up and it's realy a complicated routine (perhaps too complicated at times) and probably wouldn't suit a guy who’s biggest concern is bench press not competeing in the next PL meet coming up in six-eight weeks.....

Personaly, I think you need to focus on strength building exercises.. and look at what ancillary work can make your bench stronger.. and how to apply exercises to a functional routine...

NUMBER ONE: You need to work on explosiveness.. This is first and foremost, you won't believe how much you can increase your bench by just increasing your speed. I assume you have access to heavy chains.. These are awesome for building speed... I will assume you know the basics of the chain (the chain is long.. so the higher you move the weight the more chain comes off the floor making the bar heavier the higher you go) This way your body learns to use and recruit more fast twitch muscle fiber to get the weight moving a lot faster, and thus using momentum to aid you in the lift..

If I were you, I’d look at doing a two day a week upper body split that focused on making my bench bigger..

Workout one may look something like this ( I don’t feel the need to set up the entire workout.. you can figure out how many curls to do)

*Flat Bench Press (3x5… After four weeks you’ll drop this to 3x3..then in week six you’ll drop these to heavy singles 3X1 ) Your warm ups don't count.. You use a weight that you can do for no more than 5 or 6 reps and that weight will be used for all 3 sets..etc.. for each following week as well.. when you do 3x3 you use a weight you couldn’t do 5 reps with..etc..
    *Board Presses if you can have a partner help you..if not just do Lowgrade Incline barbell Press (3x5) same rules apply as above..
    *Bent over barbell rows.. REAL bentover barbell rows.. 3x5
    *Push PRess 3x5
    *Rear Lateral Raises

This workout focuses on your raw strength… This second workout works on explosiveness..

Workout 2:

Bench press 5x3 with chains (60% of 1RM.. This will increase by 3-5% every week for a total of 6 weeks) (1 minute rest in between sets) Concentrate on making this movement as explosive as possible.
    Decline dumbbell press 3x5
    Lat Pulldowns 5x5
    Powercleans 3x5

I hope this gives you an idea of what I’m talking about.. The muscles that have the biggest impact on your bench are Triceps…Pecs.. Lats.. and front Delts.. (rear delts help a great deal in stabelizing the weight) Increase the strength of these muscles and your bench will improve on that fact alone.. increase the speed and raw explosiveness and your bench will increase simply because of that.. Combine the two, and you’ve got a fairly good program that highschool senior could use to add 30-40 lbs to his bench max with inside of 12 weeks…
    Phreezer - nice post Bro - good workout suggestion
    Last edited by powerlifter; 02-24-2004 at 03:28 PM.

Thread Information