Max rep bench contest ?'s

I am competing in a bench contest where you have to bench your body weight as many times as you can. I currently weigh 196 and my max is 350. Last year I competed in this competition and did my body weight (then 190) 30 times. Does anyone know the best way to get ready for a comp like this? Also, is there a way to stop the acid buildup in my joints, because that seems to be a big part of whats hurting me. Another thing, I will be on a cycle of winny, prop and eq at the time. Will the winny hurt me or help me?

Thank you for any help

Pwrlfter is offline Junior Member
    Maybe you should throw in some endurance training, since you get the lactic acid buildup when your muscles are using the anaerobic pathway which is the one primarily used by the white fast twich fibers that are responsible for explosive power. When I used to live in Oklahoma there was a guy at my gym who used to compete in ultimate fighting and he used to do some crazy workouts. He would do short rest times with light weights and reps around 20. I'm no expert on this subject, but maybe you could do a heavy day where you try to build max strength and a few days later do an endurance day with short rest periods and high to very high reps. It's just a suggestion, I'm not saying that its the way to go.

yeah, that sounds like a good idea... I figure the high reps is a must in conditioning for this thing. I was just hoping there was something you could take to help with the acid buildup during the event. I hear that winny isnt good on the joints either... I was wondering if this is going to effect me during the event.. thanks for the input

powerlifterjay is offline Respected Member
    />
    I used to try high repping and got my 315 up to 25 reps. And that was after my bench workout. But i started at 17 or so. At the time my BW was about 235lbs. So i know 235 would have went 40 plus.

And yes the Winnie could hurt you but not as bad if you were going for max weights.

kdawg21 is offline Associate Member
    the great thing about most of those ompetitions is that they dont require you to lock out the weight every rep. That reduces the fatgue in your tri's. I hve to agree the Winny could be potentially harmful, although I woud think you would feel to many effects in such a short period of time. Train at about 75-80% of your max, you should be able to do 10-15 reps deending on percentages. As for the lactic acid, its natural man, the gear should help you with the mental approach and help stave off some of the effects of the acid buildup. But in the end it will inevitably get you. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by powerlifterjay

I used to try high repping and got my 315 up to 25 reps. And that was after my bench workout. But i started at 17 or so. At the time my BW was about 235lbs. So i know 235 would have went 40 plus.

And yes the Winnie could hurt you but not as bad if you were going for max weights.

holy ****! 315 25 times? nice!

powerlifterjay is offline Respected Member
    Thanks bro!

• Thread Information