Russ616 is offline Senior Member

Stretching: good? or Bad?

Should I stretch before I lift or not...
    I have heard several different opinions. Most powerlifters at my gym say not to stretch because you are more likely to tear a muscle. They recommend warming up with maybe 1 or 2 light sets.
    Now the personal trainer goes crazy when I don't stretch.
    Right now I am not stretching before lifting but instead doing one or two light warm ups.
    What do you think?

powerlifter is offline Anabolic Member
    I do a couple of warm up sets and then stretch

phreezer is offline Respected Member
    I always stretch before doing squats or deadlifts. I half ass stretch before doing bench (it's crude stretching at best ). I would recommend light stretching before and during warmups. If anything, it will help with your overall flexability.

musclehed275 is offline Junior Member
    according to louie simmons, stretching before training can interfere with the stretch reflex....

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    I stretch after a thorough warmup. I have heard the "stretching before training can interfere with the stretch reflex" and I definitely believe it but I find it's only noticeable when doing max lifts. If I am repping with more than say 4-5 reps then I can't feel the difference.

Pwrlfter is offline Junior Member
    I was always told that stretching for powerlifters was right up there with aerobics on the 'things not to do' list. I had heard that stretching lowers your maximal strength.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwrlfter
    I was always told that stretching for powerlifters was right up there with aerobics on the 'things not to do' list. I had heard that stretching lowers your maximal strength.
    The stretching taking away from max strength thing I have also heard.....not just in the period shortly after having stretched but some claim it lowers overall strength. Anyone have any thogts on this? Also, I thought powerlifters had to maintain fairly good hip flexability....any trutht to that?

J ROCK is offline New Member
    sterch after you workout,, warmup before

joevette is offline Banned
    I warm up really well before with no stretching, and then at the end of the workout spend about 15 minutes doing some serious stretching. The post workout stretching is where you are going to do the best injury prevention.

I'm in a Hurry! is offline Junior Member
    well I dont think you shoud... By stretching you cuase ur muscle fiber to loose their strengh but gain some flexibility.
    Warm Up is the best and I think the only think you shoud do before lifting. But after that's the right time for your stretching.

Sta11ion is offline Member
    For myself I was proned to injurys, but since I have been stretching and warming up prior to a workout. Regardless even if I am doing cardio. I stretch. In the last 4 years I have not pulled any muscles or injured anything.

zboneman is offline New Member
    Well I think it all just depends on the person. If you are not very flexible then I say of course you should stretch. But I am pretty flexible, and my muscles don't hinder my flexibility much, so when i stretch I risk damaging my joints. I usually stretch my legs, careful not to stretch my joints, and just do warmups. Post workout stretching for me is when I am most likely to damage my joints, but it is good for increasing flexibility of your muscles.
    Just my opinion. Like I said, everybody is different!

Powrlftr is offline Associate Member
    I saw on CNN headline news a few weeks back that someone did a study and they concluded that stretching does not prevent injury and that it just makes you more flexible.

Aboot is offline Banned
    Do not stretch. It reduces strength significantly if done before lifting. Stretch after and just warm - up prior to your work sets.

Pure Power is offline Junior Member
    Stretching post work set while the muscle is still engorged with blood is the best time. It helps to stretch/tear the muscle sack that covers the muscle and helps to increase size and add protiens to the fibers. I would asume this would help with strength also. I wouldn't recomnd boatloads of extreme stretches, I think this could lead to some damage to your tendons with level weight you deal with. Mild stretching b4 bed I heard helps you sleep so I tried it. Works for me I wake up a bit more refreshed. Just my thoughts.

frank_frank is offline Senior Member
    a little off topic, but r there any runners here that recommend NOT stretching before a race??? sounds kinda funny but according to what everyone is saying, wouldn't stretching lower your strength in your legs???

eacman65 is offline Member
    i would stretch before a race, i never stretch before i lift unless i am squatting

clampitt is offline Junior Member
    alex rodriguez stretches for 30 min before his workout. And his workout is only 45 min long!

and look at him,. perfect blend of strength,power, and speed.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    The stretching taking away from max strength thing I have also heard.....not just in the period shortly after having stretched but some claim it lowers overall strength. Anyone have any thogts on this? Also, I thought powerlifters had to maintain fairly good hip flexability....any trutht to that?
    Yeah, stretching can reduce force production by 5-30%.

Thread Information