Thread: Lineman lifts

Juicemonkeys2003 is offline New Member

Lineman lifts

hey fellas im playin some college ball and looking for five good powerlifts to base my program off of....with that said im 6'5 275 looking to hit 300lbs solid not necissarily six pack but blow those b****es that do have a six pack off the line... thanx guys

phreezer is offline Respected Member
    Squat..Squat..Squat...Squat..Squat..

Seriously, I am a former collegiate Defensive Lineman (That's how I got into the whole weightlifting scene to begin with) So I know a little something about this...Squat should be very important to you.. Cleans, and deadlifts should also be important to you.. along with Flat Bench and Military press.. If I had to list them in order of importance..

1.Squat
    2.Cleans
    3.Deadlift
    4.Bench
    5.Military press

Chains and bands can be very helpful here also.. to help work on your explosiveness.... Which as you allready know is essential to being a successful lineman.

awesome thanx bro!!! what do you recommend as sets or %'s

I would focus on the 3-5 rep range. Try using a weight that is challenging, but not overly difficult nor too easy..

Does your university have a strength and conditioning coach? If so he should be setting you up on a program right now.. Probably a 3 to 4 day a week split.. You need to be eating everything you can also..btw, are you an offensive or Defensive lineman.. and what position do you play on the line?

they moved me to offensive line cuz im not polyenisian!!! and its one of the best jucco ball teams in the nation but no lifting program besides huskerpower so im lackin on advise thanx phreezer!!!

Phreez do you have an amazing squat program you would recommend since its the base of my entire program?

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phreezer

1.Squat
    2.Cleans
    3.Deadlift
    4.Bench
    5.Military press
    also
    jerks
    incline
    bounding drills (great for getting explosive off the line)

Ron whats a bouncing drill??

RON
    Quote Originally Posted by Juicemonkeys2003
    Bounding not bouncing

I could give you a complete routine but basically its hoping over things. We used to use the stadium seats (concrete, almost like giant stairs) . We'd bound up then jog back down and do it again. Plus we had these giant wooden boxes. I'm sure you could find something that would work.

Also like phreezer said bands can help to get that explosiveness. Just be carefull when you use them as I've heard of many injuried specially on bench.

powerlifter is offline Anabolic Member
    Yeah Bro - I wouldn't use bands for over 6 weeks at a time to give the joints a break

You should cycle chains and bands on/off every two weeks.... For a good squat program, I recommend something simple like 5x5.. A good push pull 2x week no need to kill yourself.. you're simply looking for overall strength..with a little size.... I forgot to include jerks.. awesome for speed bro.. Thanks Ron for bringing those up...

I didn't get into bounding.. jumping drill's.. parachute..runs... crab walks...chute runs..etc.. I assume that His coach will work with him on these.. My thinking is to try and give him a program that works on strength, mass, and some explosiveness...That can be implemented in the off season.. During season.. training is a completely differant ball game. ... Simply put, for anything involving more speed and agility.. I think it best to leave it up to what ever kind of organized supervision your coaches will provide...There is no way that I can completely design a program that will fit your needs over the internet.. And I won't attempt to try.. I may be more harmful than helpful to you if I did...
    Last edited by phreezer; 02-24-2004 at 04:52 PM.

Get Thee to the Squat Rack LOL - phreezer is right - the King of Lifts will improve all of your lifts Bro

RON
    I only mentioned bounding to work on his explosiveness. The chutes, crab ect are more technique and conditioning so ya I agree more toward summer ball.

I'd use the band and chains strictly for squatting. They can be extremely stressful on smaller muscles when their implemented into bench. I attended a lecture from Scot Mendelson and he only uses them for squats also for this reason. Also I say stress incline at least as much as flat bench.

Quote Originally Posted by RON
    I only mentioned bounding to work on his explosiveness. The chutes, crab ect are more technique and conditioning so ya I agree more toward summer ball.

I'd use the band and chains strictly for squatting. They can be extremely stressful on smaller muscles when their implemented into bench. I attended a lecture from Scot Mendelson and he only uses them for squats also for this reason. Also I say stress incline at least as much as flat bench.
    I agree with Ron - heavy benchers usually are also heavy incline benchers

Alrightr some ball players here been waitin for that. I am in college right now and in offseason training. I would say cleans, Bench, SQUAT, incline, military, throw in some deads, stiff leg and hex bar for the core lifts. I do like the bounding drills idea, I have done plyos like boxes and bounding drills since way back and my explosivess is fast and powerful, I like to run through those lineman before they get out of their stance.LOL If you haven't figured it out I am an LB.

\Whatcha gonna do brother.......

Quote Originally Posted by the hulkster
    Alrightr some ball players here been waitin for that. I am in college right now and in offseason training. I would say cleans, Bench, SQUAT, incline, military, throw in some deads, stiff leg and hex bar for the core lifts. I do like the bounding drills idea, I have done plyos like boxes and bounding drills since way back and my explosivess is fast and powerful, I like to run through those lineman before they get out of their stance.LOL If you haven't figured it out I am an LB.

\Whatcha gonna do brother.......

where do ya play at?? do yall get tested?? how do you get tested and still use??? where are your max's at???

ChiTownTommy is offline Senior Member
    ok i guess this would be the spot feloow college player d line, i have lifting sheet that we do if you want tme to post them for ya i will no prob,
    but i have a question
    what is the diffrence between deadlifts and hang clens, clean pulls, and power cleans? i am a little confused with all those cleans, any help would be great thanks

oh as far as drug testing the do it at the beggging of the season

LostUp is offline Associate Member
    go to www.exrx.net I believe it is, they have all those lifts and will show you what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by LostUp
    go to www.exrx.net I believe it is, they have all those lifts and will show you what they are.
    ALRIGHT WOW THANKS MAN REALLY APPRECATE IT

Thread Information