Thread: bars

bars

Alright I've been lifting with a standard type of olympic barbell when I bench press. I broke the ends off the bar from deadlifting about a month ago...Well I have a texas style bar i believe its 1 inch around. I hated benching with it. Just felt weird.

Well yesterday I bought a york barbell that I loved when I seen it.. It's diameter is much smaller then both the texas and regular olympic..I'm sure that the bar is 45 pounds,but today when I benched I was having trouble unracking weight I can triple and quadruple. I know the bars weight isn't what is hurting me,so i'm guessing it may be the diameter?

All winter long I've never had a problem unracking the weight til today. I was horriblely off my max today...I have trained light for the last two weeks but I have ate better and more then I have all winter.. I was just wondering if some of my downfall could possibly be the bar??

Self bumpage..Just cause I'm hoping someone has a few answers for me.....

Powrlftr is offline Associate Member
    I doubt it's the bar, my gym has the reg and the Texas style. I hated the Texas ones when they first got them, but now it doesn't really matter which one I am using when I bench.

I think the problem may be that you've been going light for a couple weeks and your body just isn't ready for max output. Do heavy triples and submaximal singles for a week or 2, you should be ready for maxes after that.

Have someone give you a liftoff, why waste your energy unracking the bar yourself.

powerlifter is offline Anabolic Member
    I have a York - love it - best value / 150.00 to your door - 1500lbs limit Black Oxide

gretak911 is offline New Member
    I'm the opposite of you guys. I love the thick bar. My gyms thick bars are 1 1/8" thick. I have big hands and after using the thick bar for a couple of months I really notice the bounce in the standard skinnier bar.

I'm getting ready to quit my gym and start working out at home. I had planned on using the standard bar that comes with the 300lb olympic sets but maybe I'll get one of these: http://www.newyorkbarbells.tv/im-0022tp.html
    $139 for the power bar with a 1500lb rating. ($180 after shipping).

Can someone provide a link to buy the York bar?

Rsox1 is offline Associate Member
    a lot of powerlifters use this in training, they use a thick thick bar, guys i know use a bar thats gotta be 7 inches around, the idea is that when you use a smaller bar your forearms help you out a lot, but when you use a bar that thick its almost impossible to use your forearms, therfore putting all pressure on the target muscles (chest, shoulders, and tri's), so then when you get back to a regular bar your muscles are stronger from the bigger bar and then you can also use your forearms to help you as well therefore increasing you bench, a guy at my gym used this technique to break 550 raw

Thread Information