tt2323 is offline Junior Member

is squatting 400+lbs w/o a belt a bad idea?

I was wondering, i've never used a belt in the 8+ years i've been training. And just the other day i squatted 405x4 without a belt and also deadlifted 405x6 sumo with out one either is this a bad idea?

slobberknocker is offline Associate Member
    not really. why would it be a bad idea?

Hit-That is offline New Member
    It would probably be bad if you normally wear a belt while using those weights, but seeing as you never wear a belt, it shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure to maintain your form.

phreezer is offline Respected Member
    No it's better for you.. in fact using a belt when you don't need to will actually work out worse for you. Training without a belt will help strengthen your core and make you a better lifter... When you unnecessarily use a belt it will become a crutch for you.. IMO you only need to use a belt when you are doing heavy singles, Maxing, or competeing.

I will not put on a belt untill I'm finished with triples, and have started my heavy singles.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Phreezer pretty much stated my thoughts as well. Also make sure you're doing some ab work to help that back out as well.

tt2323 is offline Junior Member
    yes that was always my thoughts exactly..a belt is a crutch.

Powrlftr is offline Associate Member
    The belt helps you lift more just like the wraps. Anyone who tells you they use them for 'safety purposes' is lying to you

joevette is offline Banned
    I only use a belt in competition. Squating without a belt is a better lower back workout than almost anything else. That hard static hold will train you to squat better.

I'm in a Hurry! is offline Junior Member
    as long as it's made well I dont see any problem... but if you want to push more and aren't sure that you're back will stay strong... hummm you may have to get the belt. I do not squat and deadlift as much as you but I might be skinnier than you; I do not use belt and I've been training for the past 4 years

d-lineman is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Powrlftr
    The belt helps you lift more just like the wraps. Anyone who tells you they use them for 'safety purposes' is lying to you

Ive been training for about 7 years and I have always used a belt and it is for safety reasons. I just started using Inzer knee wraps when I squat and yes the wraps probably did add a few pounds but I really like the support they give my knees. So yes I use wraps and belts for safety and its not a lie.

Brian D is offline New Member

how did you feel after

the next day or two? I think if true to form no problems.

Anhydro78 is offline Anabolic Member
    Really the only guys that wear belts in my gym are guys who think it a safty thing and have always used one. They are the same guys with bad backs and knees and such.

The Hernia deal well if I have a choice of where my guts are gonna come out at, it not gonna be between my legs.

Powrlftr is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by d-lineman
    Ive been training for about 7 years and I have always used a belt and it is for safety reasons. I just started using Inzer knee wraps when I squat and yes the wraps probably did add a few pounds but I really like the support they give my knees. So yes I use wraps and belts for safety and its not a lie.
    Ok ... Ok .... some maybe some people have convinced themselves they are doing it for safety. I would like to add that I use a belt and knee wraps on singles and sometimes doubles, because if I don't my left knee will give me hell the next day.

But the belt and wraps add something like 50-75 lbs. to my max and the suit another 50, but I only wear the suit for safety reasons

Thread Information