billy_ba is offline Associate Member

How to get my bench #'s up

sup fellas,

I seem to be stuck on my bench. Right now im repping 265lbs 6 times and my goal is to rep 295 by the end of this year. I do chest 2 times per wk. I do 3 sets of 3 exercises(flat bench, cable flies, decline bench). Do any of you have suggestions to help me get my reps up tp 295?
    Stats: 24 yrs old, 190lbs and 15%bf. finished a cycle of test/eq/fina 3-4 months ago, I also take glutamine flax oil and tons of protein.

thanks bros

RJstrong is offline Senior Member
    my suggestion is to bump up your total sets on the flat bench... I am a competitive powerlifter with a 550lbs. bench press and the volume of sets that I do is pretty extreme... however the same principles do apply... only 3 sets on a bench press is still just a warm up... may I suggest warming up to about 75-80% of your max in about 3-5 sets...and then do 3-5 sets of triples and/or doubles with 85-95% of your max for a total of 6-10 sets... on your second chest workout i would suggest doing close grips using the same set count...the key to a big bench is big triceps...remember their is only one way to get strong... go big!!!
    Last edited by RJstrong; 11-23-2004 at 08:45 AM.

billy_ba is offline Associate Member
    thanks bro

Drive is offline New Member
    I agree with the go big! man triceps is the key.
    something that works well for me is 5sets of 5 for 2-3 weeks then 4 sets of 4 for 2-3 weeks and on down. how ever you do it. you need to make a plan to hit specific weight by a specific date.. like 5x 275 in 2 week then bump it up 5-10 lbs. you got to have a plan.
    Drive

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet

Hammer16 is offline New Member
    I agree with R J also. But what works everytime for me when I am stuck in one of those **** plateus are working in negatives into my bench routine.

Getting There is offline Junior Member
    my suggestion is to bump up your total sets on the flat bench... I am a competative powerlifter with a 550lbs. bench press and the volume of sets that I do is pretty extreme... however the same principles do apply... only 3 sets on a bench press is still just a warm up... may I suggest warming up to about 75-80% of your max in about 3-5 sets...and then do 3-5 sets of triples and/or doubles with 85-95% of your max for a total of 6-10 sets... on your second chest workout i would suggest doing close grips using the same set count...the key to a big bench is big triceps...remember their is only one way to get strong... go big!!!

Great advise!.. I know you don't need to here it from me..........

phreezer is offline Respected Member

Thread Information