ibiza69 is offline Senior Member

Don Long recieves kidney transplant

courtesy of flexonline

DON LONG RECEIVES KIDNEY TRANSPLANT
    IFBB pro Don Long, who left the sport due to kidney failure, has finally received a kidney transplant. FLEXonline spoke with Don recently while he rested in a hospital in the Washington D.C. area, and he told us things were coming along fine. The 1995 NPC National champ has always been upbeat about his prognosis even as he struggled with regular dialysis treatments.
    How Don received his transplant was a national news story. Since nobody in his immediate family was a match to be a donor, Don was placed on a waiting list and was expected to wait years for a transplant. However, his older sister, Michelle, volunteered for a new living donor program with the Washington Regional Transplant Consortium, and donated a kidney in early March to a third party. In fact, Michelle Long was the first person to take advantage of this program. An Air Force Technical sergeant, Michelle’s generous action moved her brother to the top of the transplant list, and a couple of weeks later, he received his new kidney.
    We’ll present all the details of this uplifting story in an interview with Don in the July 2002 FLEX, on newsstands June 4. Until then, we’ll keep you up to date on Don Long’s continuing odyssey here on FLEXonline

ibiza69 is offline Senior Member
    it could have been the roids or it could have been a genetic predisposition, i doubt he's telling.

bigkev is offline Scamming Traitor
    awesome bro. i am really glad he got what he needed. don seems like a nice guy. and had the best biceps peak to come along in a long time.

retired is offline Associate Member
    if memory serves, his kidneys were destroyed by prolonged and extreme high blood pressure. No doubt his offseason weight and chemical habits contributed to the condition...

It was a genetic predisposition. He and I are actually (now) writing for a new magazine (coming out in a couple of months), and he's going to make a comeback to competing. He's got the cover of the first issue and looks awesome, from the photos I've seen.

Thread Information