shonuff is offline Associate Member

lee haney greatest bb ever

lets get a lee thread goin he was and still is the greatest bb ever, won more Mr.O than anybody can anybody say 8!!!!!

alittle something from Shawn Ray good read.

Once in a blue moon, do we have the opportunity to witness Greatness?

I did. Back in 1984, I was graduating high school in Placentia, California. I was barely one year into my bodybuilding “hobby” when a young man from Atlanta Georgia via South Carolina was on his way to capturing his 1st Mr. Olympia title. He was married, grounded, save by the Lord Jesus and on the brink of challenging the “Austrian Oak” Arnold Schwarzenegger’s world record of 7 career Mr. Olympia titles! His name, “Totalee Awesome” Lee Haney!

Lee won the NPC National title in 1982 over a formidable young up-start named Matt Mendenhall to earn his pro card. Next he would go on in his rookie season of 83’ to capture 3rd place in his first ever Mr. Olympia contest. After 1984 would never lose that contest again for 8 consecutive years, to become the Greatest Mr. Olympia EVER! What made his accomplishment so much more impressive than the great Arnold is the fact that he was married to his lovely wife Shirley the entire time and raised 2 kids in the process! Simply amazing was the fact that after his 7th record tying Mr. Olympia, he left the only major sponsor he ever had the Master Blaster himself, Mr. Joe Weider.

Lee, probably one of the least publicized Mr. Olympia Champions ever, would move on the “Greener Pastures $$” with the help of a rival supplement company Twin Labs to fuel his reign as the Greatest, ensuring his 8th Mr. Olympia Title and financial security to boot in 1991 his last contest!

Lee, a good ole southern gentleman, would give you the shirt off his back if you were in his camp. IFBB judge, the famous “Dragon Slayer” Richie Gaspari can attest to that, one of Lee’s old training partners and arch rivals on stage. Ever the consummate professional, Lee built a name and a following for himself not merely by the beauty of his physique but by the kindness of his heart. He inspired me as a 22-year-old rookie in my 1st Olympia in 1988 to do my homework and stay the course. He told my parents that night in Los Angeles, if I hunkered down I had the tools to pick up where he would be leaving off. His compliments not only spurred a new found hunger to get back in the gym and come correct at my next Olympia but he ignited a flame to be better than he was! I came barreling into the 1990 Mr. Olympia drug tested contest in Chicago after I had won and was later stripped of the Arnold Classic title earlier in the year for failing a drug test. I had pressure on me to be sure but I was determined to clear my name, set the record straight and serve notice to the KING that I had arrived!

By the time the dust settled, there were 3 men left and I was one of them. 24 years young and there I stood with the great Lee Haney and “MR. Mass with Class” Lee Labrada. King Lee was slightly off his best, down a few pounds in weight and stood wondering if he could continue the magic, as Labrada and myself pushed him to his limits. Ultimately Haney would continue his reign, hold onto his title and break Arnolds record in the process the following year in Orlando Florida. I would wind up in 3rd place in the Windy City of Chicago, while climbing 10 places from my first appearance in LA. Later in Orlando while witnessing history next to Lee on stage, I was receiving my 5th place medal after a busy year and another Arnold Classic Victory!

I guess in the grand scheme of things, I feel Lee Haney as great as he was, has never been given his due publicity wise. What he accomplished is nothing short of Mark Spitz Olympic Record of Gold Medals, Carl Lewis’ Olympic Domination, 9 Gold plus one Silver for his efforts. Similarities between Rocky Marciano’s 40-0 record as Heavy Weight Champion of the world! What about Edwin Moses winning 109 consecutive 440 Meter Races? Lee is the Michael Jordan of Bodybuilding!

Lee is definitely greater than what our sport has published; I for one recognize what he has accomplished 11 years ago and how important he was to the game.

I salute the Totalee Awsome Lee Haney, for all he has done and for whom he is. Every sport should be so lucky to have such a true warrior and gentleman representing the best qualities that we all strive for. Your efforts have left a lasting impression on all of us, as we can truly appreciate what you accomplished now that the iron game has changed its landscape you are missed even more!

Thank you for your commitment to the sport, as well as to the soldiers you inspired all those years, including me.

pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lee haney greatest bb ever-haney5.jpg  

another
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lee haney greatest bb ever-haney6.jpg  

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lee haney greatest bb ever-haney7.jpg  

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lee haney greatest bb ever-haney8.jpg  

small
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lee haney greatest bb ever-lee.jpg  

Big V is offline New Member
    Yeah I totally agree with you! Lee dominated the sport during the 80's. He was untouchable.

nuke is offline Member
    Agreed, I was in high school reading the OLD Muscle and Fitness mags, I was a senior in '88 and Lee was everywhere and got accolades (sp?) from everyone.
    Did he not also go on to train Evander Holyfield !

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    I agree, Lee Haney was/is THE MAN!!

I'm not sure I'd say he was the best ever, but at the same time, I don't see anybody being better than him either. I guess I feel the 4 most succesful Mr.O's are "All" the greatest as they totally and completely dominated and raised thier respective bars to a new level...Arnold, Lee, Dorian, Ronnie.

Originally posted by Pete235
    I agree, Lee Haney was/is THE MAN!!

I'm not sure I'd say he was the best ever, but at the same time, I don't see anybody being better than him either. I guess I feel the 4 most succesful Mr.O's are "All" the greatest as they totally and completely dominated and raised thier respective bars to a new level...Arnold, Lee, Dorian, Ronnie.
    yep i agree with that.

comeon guys post some pics!!!

ripsid is offline Senior Member
    Lee Haney also was hired by the 76ers to help Shawn "The Mighty Mormon Basketball Player" Bradley, get muscle on his boney ass! LOL Could you imagine that pooh?

kaizenro is offline New Member
    The last Mr. O before guts became the "IN" thing. Too bad he doesn't want to create a "LEE HANEY CLASSIC" pro show. That would be "Totalee Awethum"!

D-Man24 is offline New Member
    Thanks it was nice to here something about Mr. H I see all the time I workout out his gym here in Atlanta and he is a humble guy. D-Man24

retired is offline Associate Member
    Let's see some pics of Haney's back- his rear lat spread was so thick it looked as though it was leaping off the page at you!

maguilagorilla is offline Associate Member
    how could anyone put "im fixin to have a baby ronnie" in the same sentence with HANEY THE GREATEST

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    love that religous body building show he does. Anyone else seen it?

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    the one thing i noticed about the bodybuilders of yesteryear is that they did a lot of poses where they used a vacuum(suck in their stomach instead of flexing it), It is rather impressive, especially when u see ronnie's gut bulging uncontrollably after he's been holding it in for an abdominal pose

Outshined is offline Junior Member
    Haney beat Dorian Yates in his last Olympia show.
    That says alot about the guy.

JollySwagman is offline New Member
    Haney has a lot on Dorian
    better symmetry with his smaller waist and vacuum

ZachG_85 is offline Junior Member
    Haney had the momentum. If Ronnie retires and Gunter becomes the new Mr. O, the fact that Ronnie beat him the year before won't say much, since he lost at the GNC. Same coulda happened there. Plus, as Lee himself said, "When I competed against him he was still a baby. By the time he retired, he was a monster."

That said, Lee was probably the best of them all, though I personally like Yates better.

And Lee was the LAST pro bodybuilder I've seen do a vacuum.

Stormrider is offline Junior Member
    Haney is awsome. PEROID!

sir20 is offline New Member
    I totally agree that Lee Haney has never gotten the credit for his achievements. He broke Arnolds record, but is more or less totally unknown to the outside worlds of bodybuilding. I have allways wondered wether this would be the case if he was white.

DELTA9MDA is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Outshined
    Haney beat Dorian Yates in his last Olympia show.
    That says alot about the guy.
    i believe yates won the muscularity round. that counts for something.

decadbal is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ZachG_85
    Haney had the momentum. If Ronnie retires and Gunter becomes the new Mr. O, the fact that Ronnie beat him the year before won't say much, since he lost at the GNC. Same coulda happened there. Plus, as Lee himself said, "When I competed against him he was still a baby. By the time he retired, he was a monster."

That said, Lee was probably the best of them all, though I personally like Yates better.

And Lee was the LAST pro bodybuilder I've seen do a vacuum.

gunter isnt in the same arena as ronnie, ronnies is the greatest bodybuilder of all time thus far!

HyperSick is offline Associate Member
    "Come on Haney....yeah Haney.....yeah Haney!!!"

Lee Haney's Mr. Olympia Workout (1990) (VHS)

mr.lean is offline Junior Member
    man the number 4 pic looks just like chris cormier, lee is awesome but still think yates is unbelievable, yates can fly lol

nickrizz is offline Anabolic Member
    i posted this a while a go, but i agree he is the best. he coached evander holyfield in his comeback i think. but anyway i think looked less freakish. some people like the ronnie freakish look but i like the haney build

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    Yates is amazing, haney is better and Ronnie is the best IMO. None of them can compare to ronnie...

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    Ronnie would massacre Haney!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lee haney greatest bb ever-haney-coleman.jpg  

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    Ronnie is obviously bigger all around but there is a huge difference in the legs...

Cole Trickle is offline Junior Member

Lightbulb

Coleman is great, Yates was great, Haney was great, but we're talking about the greatest EVER, & my opinion which many others also agree with is Sergio Oliva is the greatest EVER on a purely genetic level

.. & for those who wanna put Coleman ahead of Oliva, just think of Oliva in his prime today w/ todays drugs & training equipment/techniques, & even nutritional advances
    Last edited by Cole Trickle; 06-21-2004 at 03:49 PM.

juicelee is offline Associate Member
    I agree with trickle as far as drug use and training techniques, but the best bbers of all time (in my humble opinion)
    1. Arnold (Just because the drugs they had to pick would be like test, dbol , deca , masteron ) (I do not believe they even used that growth from cadaevers)
    2. Haney
    3. Ronnie
    4. Dorian Yates

nickrizz is offline Anabolic Member
    I would go with Lee as best ever

Thread Information