gman64 is offline New Member

Muscular Development is No.1, Weider is a hypocrite

I read Joe Weider's publications for more than 20 years. Stumbled on to Muscular Development at an airport and was blown away. Never seen such open and honest discussion about all aspects of bodybuilding, including juicing.

I let my subscription to Flex run out and now read MD.

Why does Weider refuse to discuss steroids , when it's so damn obvious his contracted athletes are major juicers? Curious to hear other's thoughts and your favorite mag.

demetri is offline Member
    Joe Weider has been ripping off bodybuidlers for years. He wants to make as much cash as possible by taking advantage of the majority out there who don't know. If he educates them he can't continue taking advantage of them.

That's just my opinion. I could be wrong and challenge anyone to educate me.

cube is offline Junior Member
    what makes me laugh about weider mags is the way the weider constantly bitch about bb'ing not being an olympic sport and how it is there life long dream to make it one. i laugh every time i read that. i love bb'ing but it will never be an olympic sport. i would love to see what would happen if the ioc got their hands on the urine samples of the olympia competitors. got a feeling they might find a few more substances than the ifbb do with their 'testing'.
    i used to read mm2k. used to be a pretty good read pre-bill phillips eas crapshoot. to be honest i prefer boards like this now. info is realistic and you get to interact with other bb'ers. plus ghost-written articles annoy the shit out of me. just once i would like to read what a pro bb'er really had to say and in their own words too. none of this 'i got so big by using the 'weider-head-up-my-ass-principle' ghostwritten crap.

cube.

I hear ya, bro! I feel the same way when I read that Olympic bullshit. Bodybuilding is great entertainment, but it sure as hell is not an Olympic sport! These Weider brothers are sooooooooooo full of s__t!

AnabolLecter75 is offline Junior Member
    Well, according to the Weider currency overload principle, if you give people a large amount of money you can get them to do what you want. Its worked in the past, so maybe they'll try it this time. You are right gman, MD is king!

Re: Muscular Development is No.1, Weider is a hypocrite

Originally posted by gman64
    I read Joe Weider's publications for more than 20 years. Stumbled on to Muscular Development at an airport and was blown away. Never seen such open and honest discussion about all aspects of bodybuilding, including juicing.

I let my subscription to Flex run out and now read MD.

Why does Weider refuse to discuss steroids, when it's so damn obvious his contracted athletes are major juicers? Curious to hear other's thoughts and your favorite mag.
    i agree that MD is superior, the funny thing about MD is do you remember a couple of years ago when twinlab changed the title to 'All Natural Muscular Development'? suddenly dorian and ronnie weren't shit, but Frank Sepe was god. that was hilarious, it looked more like GQ than a muscle mag. the change lasted all of 18months before they realised if people want GQ or Maxim they would go out and buy GQ or Maxim not ANMD.

Ironweb is offline Member
    I was getting sick and tired of most muscle mags out there. Then I picked up MD and was pleasantly surprised. It is a mag that is giving hope to the reality of bodybuilding. It is the only one I read these days.

MIKE_XXL is offline SCAMMER
    I have been looking for a new mag to read as i am so sick of Muscle-tech advertisments taking over what used to be a pretty good magazine.............so i'll give a MD a try...thanks guys......XXL

Buddha_Red is offline Senior Member
    Reading this is good enough for me. Ill go find me a copy this week.

I really only read boards like this but i like to have mags laying around for other times..

doublewide is offline Associate Member
    I had just about given up on all the bb mags. Musclemag just grates on my nerves the way they work Muscletech into EVERY freaking article.

Good to hear about MD. Last time I picked one up was when they switched it over to the all natural format.

ValeTudo is offline New Member
    You mean Muscletech Cell-tech/Nitro-tech won't make me 1100% stronger faster?!?!
    MD is good to check out but I find most of my useful info on the boards. It seems half the 'hotnews' items have already been discussed on the boards somewhere.

VT

Muscular Development is by far the best Mag out there>

Gene is offline Associate Member
    Originally posted by MIKE_XXL
    I have been looking for a new mag to read as i am so sick of Muscle-tech advertisments taking over what used to be a pretty good magazine.............so i'll give a MD a try...thanks guys......XXL
    MD is pleonastically literred with Muscle-Tech ads. In my opinion, it often scews good information -- ie, I remember one time they did a protein comparison of Egg, Tuna, Fish, Meat, etc, giving 2-3 stars to each, then 5 stars to Nitro-Tech. Nitro-Tech is nothing more then whey concentrate (factory price - under $4/pound) sold by MuscleTech at $12-$15 / pound.

It gets kind of annoying also, how they advertise Cell-Tech with before/after pictures where a bloated fat suddenly transforms to contest shape in 8 weeks (almost impossible without a cycle, the way they show it -- and its usually Lee Preist anyway, so what can ya do). So guys will run out to by an overpriced creatine/dextrose mix hoping to be ripped to shreds. It's rediculous. And these aren't just full-page ads; some of these ads last 3-4 pages, repeated in various transmogrified forms throughout, including the back cover. And of course those 3 page specials on Ronnie Coleman who is of course all-natural.

OTHER THAN THAT... the MD girls are HOT, and the articles are second to none. Open discussion of roids (mostly in support of it), denouncing the exageration of side-effects by the medical community, the cartoons are quite funny, juts an all-around excellent read if you don't let the ads get to you. A must-get.

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    Love my MD!

Dr. Derek is offline Member
    Joe and Ben Weider have had a monopoly of the BB industry since the beginning. There have been several to come along and try to go off on thier own but cant manage. Robert Kennnedy is probably the closest to de throwning the Weider empire, but I think that they are all in cahoots together. Any athelete that speaks out against Weider is always blackballed, ie mike quinn, gary strydom, lee priest, and now Jay Cutler. It will eventually turn around but what people dont realize, and I dont care for weider either, is that he brought the sport into the public eye, even if he did it lying too and decieving the public. Now all we need some multi billionaire to scoop the industry and take him down. Maybe after he is dead this will happen but I dont think I will ever see it in my lifetime.

Peace

And yes MD is a much better mag

freakout is offline Associate Member
    MD is the best. Been following it since the past year.

Though sometimes I would rather see the real bodybuilders than all those comical drawings but I guessed it is good enough. Love their articles on sex! Makes me horny everytime!

Okie I am sorry.

The only mags I read are Men's Health and Muscular Development. I like Men's Health because it doesn't show these huge guys claiming they got big from Weider principles.

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    All mucsle mags suck IMO they're all in it for the money.

As far as weider not running articles about steriods , why would he? He owns one of the largest supplement co.s in the world.
    "Hey guys 95% of my suplements are completely worthless so you might as well spend your money on something that'll give real results like steriods.". That wouldn't really be productive for his companies intrests would it?
    Look at what Bill Phillips did with MM2k at one time they straight out condoned AS use then he started EAS and the mag went all natural.

It's a business fela's all they care about is what's going to put money in their pockets. If they educate someone on a subject along the way even better but first priority is $$.
    I don't think this is a good thing but, it is the way it is.
    Even your favorite mags are plastered with muscletech ads, to you it's anoying to them it's advertising dollars.

xxxl83

imagine this:

suppose nike owned the nba, and chose the champions each year, then published a magazine that stated that the only way to be succesful in the nba is to wear nike shoes.

if that happened in the nba, everyone would be pissed about it, and the ftc would probably launch some investigation into it. yet that is exactly what happens in bb'ing with weider and we are supposed to just suck it up and live with it.

i would rather read any other magazine than give the weiders any more of my money so they can continue to hold the sport back.

Gene is offline Associate Member
    Originally posted by The French Curler
    The only mags I read are Men's Health and Muscular Development. I like Men's Health because it doesn't show these huge guys claiming they got big from Weider principles.
    Yes, but the models in Men's Health got their physiques through bodybuilding-type training, and surprisingly many of them have mild roid experience. Still, they advertise those every-other-day full-body workouts giving the average joe false hope, just like the muscle mags do for the average muscle enthusiast. I see guys in the gym carrying xerox copies of the Men's Health workouts, doing rediculous routines and hardly altering their physiques for the better.
    It's all the same... $$$ = #1 = $$$ ... everything else is a close second

Gene

Wait, some of you guys are telling me "they're all in it for the money"

Well, duh, why else would one publish a magazine...

Originally posted by The French Curler
    Wait, some of you guys are telling me "they're all in it for the money"

Well, duh, why else would one publish a magazine...
    i'll take a shot at why people get pissed: it's not the fact that "they're all in it for the money" that annoys people, its the fact that magazine's like flex keep writing phrases like "the weiders love the sport", "they're true bber's like you", "they do it for the love of the sport". thats what pisses people off. fact is that once upon a time the weiders may have been beneficial to bbing. now their financial interest in the sport holds it back and is killing bbing.

i don't have a problem with making money or even publishing a magazine that is little more than a supplement advertisement, but when the publishers say they do it for the love of the sport - THAT pisses me (and others) off.

cube

maguilagorilla is offline Associate Member
    man when i first started reading weider mags i thought i could look like those guys no one ever spoke of roids iwas a fool, but now i know why weider does what he does because all he cares about is the bottom line he is a liar,user,and a hypocrite i avoid all his mags

Buddha_Red is offline Senior Member
    I bought the latest MD mag and i was happy to see juice being discussed but every story seems to end with buy celltek!

besides that its a good mag. AR and other boards are where i get my info, but sometimes its nice to have a mag to read. extra modivation while im somewhere without my computer.

Jarod is offline Associate Member
    I use to read mm2k. Then it went "main stream". I remember when md started calling it sel all natural. i knew it would not last.

streamline is offline New Member
    dude same here i was at an airport and stumbeled onto this nice thick magazine called muscular development, i am hooked. It tells it with no censorship, this is for real body builders or people that just want the truth.

Farmer is offline Member
    Originally posted by Ironweb
    I was getting sick and tired of most muscle mags out there. Then I picked up MD and was pleasantly surprised. It is a mag that is giving hope to the reality of bodybuilding. It is the only one I read these days.
    MD is off the hook but the only prob for me is those cartoons get a little too much sometimes...

peace

I have no idea where to buy MD, I can't find it ANYWHERE. I'd like to read it though.

TonyTestosterone is offline New Member
    I agree that Flex is a rag and Musclemag is a waste of paper....MD has some good realistic articles, and also I like Ironman because of the Bill Starr stuff and CS Sloan sometimes has a good article. Steve Holoman wants to push his POF materials, but still he does so realistically and I think it is important for a newbie to read an Ironman or a MD, they basically tell how it is, everything works for somebody, experiment and find what works for you....they are also realistic about steroids . And also, I am wondering this.....Muscletech has been around for a while...Hydroxycut, Cell Tech, Nortestin, all that shit....and if Muscle Tech is making money it means people are buying their products, my questin is that after 3-5 years on the market or whatever it's been, don't people know the products don't work??? Seriously, all one has to do is try cell-tech/nitro tech for 8 weeks to find out it doesn't work....how do these guys continue to sell products? Or is it that there is always a new batch of uneducated/unexperienced bodybuilders who don't know for themselves yet?

Nibbe is offline Junior Member
    Originally posted by TonyTestosterone
    Or is it that there is always a new batch of uneducated/unexperienced bodybuilders who don't know for themselves yet?

Yup!

SwoleDiesel662 is offline Associate Member
    I personally like ESPN the magazine because the workout info is equally good as in every other mag. I still buy a flex once in a while just for the pics,then i'm like, "what a waste of money", too many ads & dumb, useless, and worst of all, incorrect info.

Thread Information