Russ616 is offline Senior Member

President Bush " stop taking steroids "

President Bush appealed to athletes and pro sports leagues to wipe out the use of steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs Tuesday night in his State of the Union speech.

The message was welcomed by an anti-doping authority and an official whose sport has been at the center of a recent drug scandal.

New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady was on hand to watch the address, during which Bush called on major sports leagues to implement stringent drug policies and reminded athletes that they are role models for America's youth.

His remarks come as athletes in two sports are testing positive for the new steroid THG, which was unmasked last summer by drug officials.

Five track and field athletes have tested positive for THG, and four members of the Oakland Raiders flunked tests for the steroid.

Also, a parade of athletes in sports from baseball to boxing appeared this fall before a San Francisco grand jury probing a nutritional supplements lab that is accused of providing THG to athletes.

Bush told Congress that "to help children make right choices, they need good examples."

"Athletics play such an important role in our society, but, unfortunately, some in professional sports are not setting much of an example. The use of performance-enhancing drugs like steroids in baseball , football, and other sports is dangerous, and it sends the wrong message: that there are shortcuts to accomplishment, and that performance is more important than character," Bush said.

"So tonight I call on team owners, union representatives, coaches and players to take the lead, to send the right signal, to get tough, and to get rid of steroids now."

Gene Upshaw, executive director of the NFL Players Association, said the president could not have been referring to pro football.

"I don't know who Bush is talking about, but he's not talking about the NFL, because we've already dealt with steroids, performance-enhancing drugs and all of that," Upshaw said.

Gene Orza, associate general counsel of the Major League Baseball Players Association, said he had no comment on the president's remarks.

Craig Masback, chief executive of USA Track & Field, said the president's call will help sports officials who often have found themselves waging an uphill battle.

"I think it's especially important he focused on young athletes and that cheating by star athletes sends the wrong message," said Masback, who was in New York as part of a pre-Olympic promotional tour.

"In order for America to confront this issue, it needs to be raised to a level of importance, and having the president of the United States talk about it can't help but do that. The battle can never be won unless it becomes an important American issue."

Brady and Tamika Catchings of the WNBA's Indiana Fever both sat in Laura Bush's box and were honored for their community service.

Frank Uryasz, president of the National Center for Drug Free Sport, said he was "delighted" by Bush's remarks on steroids and other drugs.

"Given the weighty issues of the world right now, I think it's fantastic that it was addressed," said Uryasz, whose Kansas City, Mo., company coordinates drug testing for the NCAA and runs a drug supplement hotline for NFL players.

"What was so right about it, he didn't call for any government intervention in this -- he called for sports to clean up their act. His message was just right on."

"We shouldn't underplay the importance of the president of the United States speaking out on this issue," Uryasz added. "I think it sends a strong message to sports that government is watching this."

John Walters, director of the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy, said he spoke at length with the president, a former owner of the Texas Rangers, last month about the problem of drugs in sports.

"The president has had a personal involvement with major league baseball, and he's particularly concerned that it's bad for players, it's bad for the sport, it's bad for young people and he's calling for them to fix it," Walters said. "It's not a government responsibility."

decadbal is offline Banned
    why cant they mind their own...

jon rock is offline Associate Member
    Strange world we live in when its ok to start a toxic plant on fire and inhale the fumes "smoking" But its so bad to juice and workout.

Russ616 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jon rock
    Strange world we live in when its ok to start a toxic plant on fire and inhale the fumes "smoking" But its so bad to juice and workout.
    It's almost like the president and others know they can't stop cocaine or weed use so they just target steroids . When there are a million other important things they should be dealing with. It's all a bunch of bullsheit...

ItalianMuscle is offline Senior Member
    I know I ain't voting for him. Arnold should run for pres..

bigmack62 is offline Junior Member
    Arnold's a puppet for Big Business.

decadbal is offline Banned
    president bush needs to worry more on his education and less about ppls personal choice... phuckin retard

eacman65 is offline Member
    hey dont dis bush

bubbathegut is offline Member
    bush is da man

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Fvck Bush

AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm a republican.....but fucck bush!
    Arnold wouldn't stand for that **** if he was pres. I hope he runs, wins, and legalizes steroids .....and prostitutiion.

kaorialfred is offline Member
    yah I think he could have been a lot more harsh with his words. He has to say something. Either way he gets my vote no matter what. I mean the whole issue of that one company and the Olympics is like so one sided.

Lets see the side we like the AS Olympics, it could be in a country where its legal. just a thought.

Thread Information