Abstract

I was going to make candied sweet potatoes today, but I couldn't find the brown Spenda at my grocery store, so I just used real brown sugar... Then I figured since I was using real sugar, I might as well go all the way and use marshmellows too...

Ingredients

sweet potatoes or yams - enough to fill a baking pan
butter - up to you
brown sugar or brown splenda - up to you
mini marshmellows (optional) - just a small bag

Directions

Boil the sweet potatoes for 45-60 mins (until they are soft and somewhat mushy). Let them cool down enough to be handled. Peel them. Cut them vertically into strips and pack them into the baking pan. Chop them up horizontally if you want (its OK if they get a bit mushed up, I actually like them that way). Make a butter/Splenda mixture (or a butter/sugar mixture if you are a bad boy/girl) that is 1 part butter to 2 part Splenda* ( I used 1/2 cup of butter and 1 cup of brown sugar). Pour that shiet all over your sweet potatoes. Add marshmellows. Bake it at 350 degrees for 20-30 mins or until marshmellows are brown.

* I don't remember the exact measurements. If your butter/Splenda mixture is too thick and doesn't spread well over the potatoes, just add more butter.

Nutritional Analysis

OK, there is a lot of fat in butter and if you used real sugar and marshmellows, there is a ton of sugar too. Not good...=P If you used just Splenda, the only ingredient in this is the butter.

To be honest, 1 cup of brown sugar + 1/2 cup of butter doesn't make this nearly as sweet as your grandma's Thanksgiving version of the dish, and it doesn't even come close to the sweetness of the candied yams at Boston Market. Actually, I guess that depends on how many sweet potatoes you use. I used a lot and filled a pretty big baking pan, so 1/2 cup butter + 1 cup brown sugar didn't make it overly sweet.