doublewide is offline Associate Member

Do you put anything on brown rice???

Just curious, it tastes awful bland. I would put soy sauce on it but do not want the sodium.

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Try cooking it up with some fresh garlic and thyme.
    Or you can do a more Mexican style with Cumin, oregano, and chilli powder.(Garlic goes with this as well)

tigress is offline Retired Female Moderator
    Try substituting some of the water you cook it in with beef, chicken or vegetable stock.

To add more fat free flavor, saute an onion and garlic with some stock in the pot before you add the rice and water/stock.
    One today is worth two tomorrows.

Jason8702 is offline New Member
    Does anybody cook it in the microwave? I tried last night and it did not turn out well. White rice turns out great with 1 cup rice and 2 cups water cover for 20 min and done. Very easy and turns out perfect every time.

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator
    Tigress has a good idea. If you want to keep the sodium low, you can also use Herb-Ox low-sodium beef broth or chicken broth.

Also, chopped green onions (scallions) make a nice addition. (They're the ones that you find small pieces of in wonton soup at most Chinese restaurants, and are available in any supermarket.)

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod
    You guy's have some really good ideas. I would personally add the onions and maybe some cumin. Typically when I cook brown rice I will add some type of meat to the dish. If your feeling like bulking you can add beef or some type of steak cubes. I also like adding broiled fish, the latter is particular good with a gravy type of sauce poured over it.
    IC

PS. What's a microwave?? J/K

Thread Information