Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

This one's for you Tigress.

Ok Tigress,
    Here it is. Hushpuppies are useually served with Fried fish and coleslaw. As with any fried foods they are high in fat and they should be eaten in moderation.

Hushpuppies

1 cup of Cornmeal
    1/2 onion choppped
    1 Egg
    Add Pepper to taste
    Now add just enough hot water to make the mixture into a thick paste.

Place a skillet onto the stove and fill it about half full of cooking oil. Corn oil works best here. Since you are frying the dish anyway there is no reason to skimp on taste. Once the oil is hot....

Drop the mixture in small spoonfuls into the hot oil. A good spoon full. They will rise and become larger.If you drop large spoonfuls into oil the center of them will be gooey, and you will have to over cook them to get them done. Fry them until the are golden brown. Dip them out of the oil with a large hole filled spoon. Place them onto a plate with a paper towel across it. You can salt them as soon as you dip them out of the oil. Once the first few have cooled, you can breaone of them apart. They should not be doey in the middle but rather like the consitenancy of cornbread.

Let them cool and serve warm. This reciepe makes enough to feed about 4 people.
    Tobey

tigress is offline Retired Female Moderator
    Thanks Tobey, they look good. Next time I feel like cheating, I will try them out.

I think they would be good with cut up jalepeno's in them, are they ever made that way? I love hot food and usually put jalepeno's in my cornbread.

Jalepeno's

Yes I have eating them with jalepeno's in them before. I don't know why I did not mention them. But you just need to make sure that you cut the peppers up really small as if you do not the hot oil will burn them while cooking giving them a unsightly appearence.
    Tobey

tigress is offline Retired Female Moderator
    Tobey, I am trying to decide what to make today, so I am just scrolling through the recipes. My husband wants scallops and pasta in a green thai sauce, so I will probably make that for him.

I just can't bring myself to make this recipe. What will I have to make for you when you come here to get you to cook this one for me?
    One today is worth two tomorrows.

ha,ha,ha,ha

Yeah there's just somthing about fried foods that can send you right over the edge huh!
    I know what you mean.
    As far as making me anything? I really don't know what you northerners eat up there so somthing from your local traditional type of recipes will do. As far as the hush puppies go though, I'd make them up for ya if ya wanted just because you asked! Of course you would have to say PLEASEEEEEEE OH PLEASEEEEEE make some hush puppies!LOL That would just about do it right there.
    Tobey

Thread Information