Thread: Gluten Flour?

mfenske is offline Member

Gluten Flour?

Has anyone tried Gluten Flour. It appears to be way lower in total carbohydrates, higher in protein, and higher in fiber. If you have tried it do you have a good bread or pancake recipe for it. I want to try it, but I wanted to know that it's not gonna jack up my insulin levels. Thanks. Mark

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod
    Actually I have never heard of gluten flour. I am interested in what this turns up because as we all know flour is uesually a no no when it comes to dieting. I will run a search here and there in a couple of culnary boards I know of and see what I turn up.
    IC

Tobey, if you want some more info here is a link
    http://www11.netrition.com/now_gluten_flour_page.html
    Hope this helps you. Mark

Thanks mfenske,
    And before any body else ask, here is a basic explanation taken from the link mfenske supplied above.

Gluten Flour

From High Protein Wheat

NOW Gluten Flour is derived from durum wheat. It is considerably higher in protein (70% protein) than most other gluten flours - and is quite low in carbohydrates.

Gluten Flour is useful in making low carbohydrate breads and is also suitable for making seitan, a vegetarian meat like substitute.

Now I need to see if I can find this in any of the local stores around town. Thanks mfenske! Can't say that I have ever tried or heard of this until your post but I'll let you know how my search turns out and what I did with the gluten flour once I get it.

IC

Hey Tobey, I tried making pancakes this morning with the Gluten Flour. I think they turned out pretty well. What I used is this
    6 oz. Gluten flour (it was one small boxes' worth)
    3 scoops Optimum vanilla Whey
    1 scoop Pro Rated Banana whey
    3 packets Aspartame sweetener
    Skim milk to desired consistency

I don't know what the caloric breakdown of these but I do know that one serving of the flour had I think 7g protein, little or no fat, and 3 grams carb, and 1 gram fiber. There were 15 servings per box. I would guess this made roughly 25 pancakes. They were pretty good, not as good as if I'd have used Jiffy mix, but for the added nutritional value I am willing to sacrifice a little. Mark

beenie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mfenske
    Has anyone tried Gluten Flour. It appears to be way lower in total carbohydrates, higher in protein, and higher in fiber. If you have tried it do you have a good bread or pancake recipe for it. I want to try it, but I wanted to know that it's not gonna jack up my insulin levels. Thanks. Mark
    You can buy high glouten flour in any asian market, and many reular supermarkets. If you mixit with bran it works really well. If you are looking for low carb alternatives, you may also try looking at almond flour.

beenie,
    How's it going bud? Haven't heard from you in ages!
    I have been looking for this for awhile now here and there. Thanks for the tip.
    Tobey

beenie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobey
    beenie,
    How's it going bud? Haven't heard from you in ages!
    I have been looking for this for awhile now here and there. Thanks for the tip.
    Tobey
    Going great Tobey. I switched gyms and am making great progress. If you can't find high gloutan flour in AL, PM me and cause you are a mensch, I'll mail you a pack.

Thread Information