Thread: homeade yogurt

amotanis is offline Junior Member

homeade yogurt

Yogurt is too expensive, and i eat too much of it. Here is a recipe to make your own yogurt. (you can use any type of milk you like, 2%,1%,FatFree,goat,soy,powdered)

2 cups dry milk

half gallon skim milk

One cup of Plain yogurt (must have live and active cultures)

Mix the dry and skim milk. Heat to 180 degrees (using a double boiler is best) *i use microwave and get it as close to 180 as i can* . Let cool to 110. In a separate bowl, mix the yogurt cultures with some of the cooled milk. Add the mixture back into the cooled milk. Cover the cooled milk and keep at 110 degrees for at least 4 hours. *i use my oven with the light On* You may get a better end result in 5-6 hours. Save, cover and refrigerate some of your new yogurt and use as yogurt cultures in your next batch. Eat plain or add your favorite fruit and sweeteners. You can also use a cloth to strain out the whey from the curds. This can take up to 8 hours. The final product will have a consistency similar to Ricotta cheese or sour cream.

EXTRA INFO: the sugars in the milk are used up during the curing process so if i'm correct the sugar content is minimal if not zero. Protein is just like regular yogurt.

amotanis is offline Junior Member
    you dont need the Powdered milk if your using regular fat free Skim milk. The results will not be as thick, just a lil more runny.

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    IMO yogurt is cheap and is less hassle.

wilbur is offline New Member
    word money boss hustla......... im with you

Ammar is offline Senior Member
    My grandma makes homemade yogurt all the time for us...its pretty simple and I think it tastes better.

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ammar
    My grandma makes homemade yogurt all the time for us...its pretty simple and I think it tastes better.
    I once had a girl friend that used to make her own cottage cheese. She said it was itchy.

Thread Information