Thread: Hiccups!!!!

LittleMeth is offline Junior Member

Hiccups!!!!

I need some advice on how to stop hiccups. I was working out today and i got the worst hiccups i ever had! how do i stop them??!!

manijak is offline Associate Member
    exhale all the air , take 4-5 gulps of water,inhale.

Flaco is offline Associate Member
    Just hold your breath....

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    Hiccups
    Author/s: Paula Ford-Martin

Definition
    Hiccups are the result of an involuntary, spasmodic contraction of the diaphragm followed by the closing of the throat.

Description
    Virtually everyone experiences hiccups, but they rarely last long or require a doctor's care. Occasionally, a bout of hiccups will last longer than two days, earning it the name "persistent hiccups." Very few people will experience intractable hiccups, in which hiccups last longer than one month.

A hiccup involves the coordinated action of the diaphragm and the muscles that close off the windpipe (trachea). The diaphragm is a dome-shaped muscle separating the chest and abdomen. It is normally responsible for expanding the chest cavity for inhalation. Sensation from the diaphragm travels to the spinal cord through the phrenic nerve and the vagus nerve, which pass through the chest cavity and the neck. Within the spinal cord, nerve fibers from the brain monitor sensory information and adjust the outgoing messages that control contraction. These messages travel along the phrenic nerve.

Irritation of any of the nerves involved in this loop can cause the diaphragm to undergo involuntary contraction, or spasm, pulling air into the lungs. When this occurs, it triggers a reflex in the throat muscles. Less than a tenth of a second afterward, the trachea is closed off, making the characteristic "hic" sound.

Causes & symptoms
    Hiccups can be caused by disorders of the central nervous system, by injury or irritation to the phrenic and vagus nerves, and by toxic or metabolic disorders affecting the central or peripheral nervous systems. They may be of unknown cause or may be a symptom of psychological stress. Hiccups often occur after drinking carbonated beverages or alcohol. They may also follow overeating or rapid temperature changes. Persistent or intractable hiccups may be caused by any condition that irritates or damages the relevant nerves, including:

overstretching of the neck
    laryngitis
    heartburn (gastroesophageal reflux)
    irritation of the eardrum (which is innervated by the vagus nerve)
    general anesthesia
    surgery
    bloating
    tumor
    infection
    diabetes
    Diagnosis
    Hiccups are diagnosed by observation and by hearing the characteristic sound. Diagnosing the cause of intractable hiccups may require imaging studies, blood tests, pH monitoring in the esophagus, and other tests.

Treatment
    Most cases of hiccups will disappear on their own. Home remedies, which interrupt or override the spasmodic nerve circuitry, are often effective. Such remedies include:

Holding one's breath for as long as possible.
    Breathing into a paper bag.
    Swallowing a spoonful of sugar or peanut butter.
    Bending forward from the waist and drinking water from the wrong side of a glass.

defdaz is offline Associate Member
    A great way to stop someone hiccuping is to offer them some money if they'll hiccup again for you. Hehe! They'll try to hiccup so hard that they find they can't!

Well, for a moment anyway. Nothing lasts forever etc. LOL!

def

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod
    Sure cure for the Hickups.
    First off, stand on your head.
    With both legs crossed over behind your back, drink 1 to 2 quarts of water while simutaneously holding your breath. Cross both eyes and hum while swallowing.
    Works every time.
    IC

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod
    Or you could just drink a little water and maybe hold your breath for a minute or two.
    IC

Babyweight is offline Female Member
    This has worked for me before. In a cup of water, light a match & drop it in the water. Then drink the water (don't swallow the match). Give it a try.

caseylee is offline Junior Member
    tums or sweet tarts, something with that power taste u know

ryan26 is offline Junior Member
    Originally posted by Babyweight
    This has worked for me before. In a cup of water, light a match & drop it in the water. Then drink the water (don't swallow the match). Give it a try.
    That's rediculous

9natural9 is offline Banned
    Look in the mirror and yell at your hiccups, without taking a breath until you run out of steam, I mean you are telling those hiccups off

bitta is offline Associate Member
    dropping a match in water helps because of the sulfur which is aid to help calm the diaphram,never tried it but the upsid edown drinking thing is one of the better ones, Ive had hiccups so far for three days and cant get rid of em,I am going to the doctor tommorow,I read that AS can cause them as well as valium,xanax and other benzodiazapams.HELP

brad fuel is offline Junior Member
    try blowing out all the air in your lungs first then hold your breath. My rational for this is cuz your lungs will be empty which means your diaphragm will be uncontracted.

I have no idea if this works...just thought of it now.

Animal04 is offline New Member

A real solution

This is the most real solution you will ever hear, gaurenteed to work

-put water in your mouth
    -plug your ears while taking three large gulps of water, this works every time

El Diablo is offline Banned
    Ok....My old science teacher told me this..His brother, Robert Wiseman, is the one who invented infrared vision. He would fold a piece of paper and put it behind anyones ear that hiccuped in class. They stopped within 20 seconds....The only thing i really remember is man....that ****ers nose was HUGE!!! One time he was walking around with this booger on the outside of it and didnt even know....sick...

Thread Information