Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
    Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer

Experiment begins(ascorbic acid)

Experiment begins today. I have been forced to rest for 9 days since my wrist was so ****ed upp so its a excelent time to begin.

I have been on test 500mg/week now for so long that I will notice if the vitamin is giving a little extra bost.

Right now Im chugging down around 2 grams of askorbic acid in 1,5 liters of water and then Il head for the gym(on a empty stomach). I now have 2 post workout shakes

The first one contains this
    A bit of protein
    A bit of carbs
    around 5deciliters of orange juice
    5grams of ascorbi acid

The other one is the regular 70g dextrose 50g whey shake and some creatin.

Im mixing the ascorbic acid with the orange juice since one of the high dosage ascorbic acid "pioneers"(Fred R. Klenner) feelt that it increases absorbation. Sounds logical to me.

Next time Il try to get ahold of sodium ascorbate instead of ascorbic acid since the sodium ascorbate is neutral while ascorbic acid is acidic. Not found anyone that sells it yet though(except a place that sells it in 25kg bags lol).

Now heading for the gym I have a nice leg workout ahead of me

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Can you summarize what you are testing? I don't understand.

Thanks bro,

~SC~

Im going to se what effects megadosages of ascorbic acid will have on my bodycompositin/energy/strenght and general wellbeeing without dietary changes.

Bodycomposition will be hard since the only thing I can go after is the scale and the mirror. I dont even have a camera or any way to messure bf%.

Ah, okay cool. I know you have the other thread on this, but it was too long to read!

Thanks,
    ~SC~

lol: take the time someday its interesting

especialy the poliquin article where he mentiones drastic bf% lowering effects of 50grams of ascorbic acid done 2-3 times a week.

50 GRAMS????

No thanks!

~SC~

it was not oral though but through a IV. Hell if I found a doc nearby that was willing to experiment with me I would go alon without a doubt
    After all I have read about ascorbic acid the last month or so I am convinced its totaly safe and incredibly beneficial for a variety of conditions.

Go for it bro, but too much of anything is not good, even good old water.

Peace,

~SC~

Duck of Death is offline Associate Member
    ........FIFTY grams of ascorbic acid?? I would predict gastric upset, possible bleeding or gastic ulcer, and hemmorhoids due to the acid irritation of the anal mucosa......... please be careful!!

duck I wont in any way consume 50g ascorbic acid. I just mentioned the study. I will use 15grams or so depending on bowel tolerance. Im also gonna try and get ahold of sodium ascorbat(ph neutral) instead of ascorbic acid since I have a history of stomach problems.

For now I have ascorbic acid but I will always consume it along with a anti acid. Just need to make sure first that no mineral in the anti acid can neutralise the ascorbic acid.

Duck of Death is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    duck I wont in any way consume 50g ascorbic acid. I just mentioned the study. I will use 15grams or so depending on bowel tolerance. Im also gonna try and get ahold of sodium ascorbat(ph neutral) instead of ascorbic acid since I have a history of stomach problems.

For now I have ascorbic acid but I will always consume it along with a anti acid. Just need to make sure first that no mineral in the anti acid can neutralise the ascorbic acid.

....... Oh. Whew. Just be careful - oral administration of acidic drugs is always more problematic than IV route. I am going to follow your thread - should be enlightening!

yeah the acidity is the only thing that concerns me. I would never want to get another ulcer. So Im gonna be a anti acid junky lol. Or rather Il consume alot of baking soda since that is a good anti acid and its cheap as hell I might also take a lozec pill daily to protect the stomach even more but I think/hope that wont be needed.

anyway more info about this. I will ramp upp ascorbic acid dosage until I get dihareea then Il drop down and keep the intake at that level. Im guestimating somewhere betwen 10-15grams/Day. On workout days I will always consume atleast 5grams in orange juice pwo along with my pwo shake. On rest days I will spread the dosage out evenly(Il probably mix down 15 grams of ascorbic acid into 1,5 liters of water and take a few mouthfulls with every meal).

I will do this for 5 weeks then Il go 5 weeks without ascorbic acid(only 500mg/Day for health). Routine will be the same(doggcrapp with some westside influence) and diet will be the same.

This is roughly what my diet will look like all the time. Feel free to critique

Rest days

Meal 1
    can of tuna
    flax oil
    1 whole egg
    Total 40g protein, 1gcarb, 10g fat 254kcal

Meal 2
    200g meat
    50g soybeans
    Total 57g protein, 9g carbs, 29g fat, 525kcal

Meal 3 same as meal one

Meal 4
    150g meat
    50g soybeans
    Total 47g protein, 9gcarb, 24g fat, 440kcal

Meal 5 same as meal one

Daily total 224g protein, 21g carbs, 83g fat 1727kcal(Some days I will skip the eggs and do another meal with tuna to lower kcal but raise protein. Those days kcal will be around 1650 and protein around 235).

************************************************** ************************************************** ****************

Workout days

Meal 1 same as meal 1 on rest day

Meal 2 pwo shake and ascorbic acid oj shake
    Total 38g protein, 100g carbs(100g after legs, 60 after upper body), 4g fat
    558kcal

Meal 3
    Oatmeal
    Whey
    Total 42g protein, 23g carbs, 6g fat, 314kcal

Meal 4
    Tuna
    flax oil
    total 35g protein, 5g fat 185kcal

Meal 5
    150g meat
    50g soybeans
    Total 47g protein, 9gcarb, 24g fat, 440kcal

Meal 6
    Tuna
    total 35g protein

Daily total 237g protein, 132g carbs on leg day, 92g on upper body day, 49g fat, 1917kcal on leg days, 1757kcal on upper body days

upp to 10grams of ascorbic acid a day now. No diharrea so far but my stomach gets upset from the acidity so Im switching to sodium ascorbat as soon as it arrives. I will also bump upp dosage to 20 grams as soon as it gets here.

todays workout feelt amazing. So did the workout on sunday. But I had rested for 9 days before it so that is the explenation.
    I dont know if this is the vitamin c but I feel SO energetic. Im bursting with excess energy!

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    Did u try IV vit C ?

im thinking of IV B-12 ... Vitc IV for a combo wut do u think?

what do you mean with IV? Intravenous? I wouldnt feel comfterable injecting stuff into my veins even though I have seen descriptions on how to make home made iv sodium ascorbat. But thats to risky I wouldnt do it unless Im under doc supervision.

IM would be a whole different thing though but I dont know in what concentrations and how much could be shot in each spot ect.

im not gonna cycle in a long time maybe never!!!i feel like im progressing real fast but i wanna stick myself in the ass with smth!!! i heard ppl saying that the b-12 is good and ive already seen gr8 results from oral Vit C

gonna research this for a couple of days and post wut i come up with then start the injecting...

Let me know if you find any IM formula for vitamin c. I know the concentration for IV but not IM.

also if you inject vitamin c make sure its sodium ascorbat or magnesium ascorbat. Injecting ascorbic acid I think would be dangers since its acidic.

Quote Originally Posted by johan
    Let me know if you find any IM formula for vitamin c. I know the concentration for IV but not IM.

also if you inject vitamin c make sure its sodium ascorbat or magnesium ascorbat. Injecting ascorbic acid I think would be dangers since its acidic.
    ill check that out too!! ill do my research and let ya know...gotta learn how to inject im still a virgin when it comes to injecting

Its defenetly doing something. I am constantly hot. When I workout I sweat as I usualy do when on high dosage of clen . I feel so energetic to. Like my body has been "recharged" somehow.
    Got my sodium ascorbate today so will now bump upp dosage to 15-20 grams/day. Took 5grams pre workout today and 10grams post workout and will now spread out 5 grams over the rest of the day. Gonna be interesting to se if I get the diharrea now.

starting next week I will post all my workouts to keep a check on any strenght gains/losses. My bodyweight is exactly 90kg(202,5 ibs)

ironfreak here is a page with a description on how to make both IV and IM solution of sodium ascorbate

http://www.orthomed.com/civprep.htm

But I dont recomend this. The IM one I might do sometime but I would defently filter it and I have NO clue what "edetate disodium injection" is
    Last edited by Kärnfysikern; 06-22-2005 at 09:27 AM.

man I still have this crasy energy. It has to be the vit c no other explenation. Today I had alot of things to sort out on town so for 2 hours I ran around on town. Then I went home fixed my biked. Ate a small meal and headed for work takes 40 minutes to get there by bike(regular bicyle(how the f**k its spelled))worked for a few hours and bike ride home and Im still filled with insane energy even though I woke upp several hours earlier then before.

Im a bit dehydrated now to I notice. Low bp(112/45) and high puls rate (76beats/min)because I drank some coffe at work and forgot about drinking water sweating all the time like a mad man. Im HOT.

Anyway with this energy and how hot I am all the time the vit c must have some kind of impact on my metabolism.

IF anyone wonders why I have been posting alot more then usual the last few days its because of the energy the vit c is giving me.

Gonna take only 5 grams tomorrow if not a bit less and only 5 grams the day aftre that. Gym is closed until monday so no use in mega dosing during the weekend.

I was a bit hypoglycemic it seems. Drank 20grams of dextrose just to se and I stopped sweating within minutes. Seems like vitamin c is very good at increasing insulin sensitivity

dazbo is offline Senior Member
    You read this ?? The last paragraph is most important for you.

"9. Using antioxidants post workout enhances recovery.

Here’s another myth that just makes sense: we work out, cause all kinds of damage to our bodies, then we use antioxidants to help clean up the mess. Simple and sweet. The reality? Neither simple or sweet. In fact, it may not surprise you to find that there is a clear lack of data on antioxidant supplementation following exercise.

Taking a step back to look at the basis for the theory, it’s been shown that damaging eccentric exercise didn’t change the normal levels of our body’s antioxidants (Child et al., 1999). In other words, our body has a natural antioxidant defense capability, and this was not stressed at all despite the exercise and the subsequent muscle damage.

This is contradicted by other data showing that there is an impact of exercise on natural antioxidant levels (Lee et al., 2002; Goldfarb et al., 2005), but clearly the case is not closed. With this conflicting research, you’d have to wonder if antioxidant supplementation would have any effect at all! Oh it does, my oxidized friend, but the effects are not what we’d expect!

Once again, here’s one of the most underrated research papers of the last 5 years—take note folks because this is one of those studies you need to know about. This groundbreaking research by Childs and buddies (2001) examined the impact of post workout antioxidant supplementation on subsequent muscle damage and healing.

You’ll be shocked to know they found that this practice actually increased muscle damage and delayed recovery! That’s right, the microtrauma experienced by the muscle cells was exacerbated by the antioxidants. With this, the greater the damage, the more time it takes to repair.

It seems that there are pro-oxidant effects happening here, meaning that the "antioxidants" actually started causing the damage they were meant to clean up! While this effect is thought to occur with excessive antioxidant use, it’s surprising that these effects were seen at a Vitamin C dosage of ~1100mg and ~900mg N-Acetyl Cysteine per day, for a 200 lb guy, neither of which are all that incredibly high. To my knowledge, this is the only study to investigate antioxidant supplementation after strength training. This makes the findings incredibly powerful because they are directly applicable to us!"

I have seen a study dementing that last pahragraph. They draw that conclusion on fals assumptions. Vit c doesnt act as a pro oxidant in that way.

and I would be very suprised if it lowered recovery since influencal people like pouiliqin uses it on his athletes for recovery reasons. its getting more and more comon in the sports world to use vit c as a recovery aid.

dazbo is offline Senior Member
    I am Pro-Vit C as I know it has many great properties. But, surely those studies prove something ?? Maybe not when you use it through the day (15g daily spread out) but maybe NOT used as Pre or PWO ???

I will be watching this thread to see how it goes though.

I think I will continue a while with this kind of use and se what happens. If I notice anything negative I will change it upp

I still cant figure out how it can make me so hot and sweaty.

Alpha-Male is offline Senior Member
    Effect of vitamin supplementation on cytokine response and on muscle damage after strenuous exercise
    Emil Wolsk Petersen1,2, Kenneth Ostrowski1,2, Tobias Ibfelt1,2, Myriam Richelle4, Elizabeth Offord4, Jens Halkjær-Kristensen3, and Bente Klarlund Pedersen1,2

The main purpose of the study was to evaluate whether antioxidant vitamin supplementation had any effect on the cytokine, muscle enzyme, or lymphocyte responses to exercise. In line with previous studies (29), we demonstrated significant increases in IL-6, IL-1ra, and CK after eccentric exercise. The present study also confirmed previous findings showing that all lymphocyte subpopulations are recruited to the blood during exercise and that the total lymphocyte count is suppressed in the postexercise period (22, 29). Analyses of blood demonstrated that we were able to identify two groups (supplemented and placebo) that differed markedly with respect to the vitamins C and E concentrations in the blood. However, the two groups had the same cytokine and lymphocyte responses to exercise. The latter findings are in agreement with those of Nieman et al. (21) who found that 8 days of vitamin C supplementation (1,000 mg/day, n = 6) had no influence on immune parameters after a 2.5-h run compared with a control group (n = 6).

In this study, we also evaluated the effect of antioxidant supplementation on exercise-induced muscle damage. However, vitamin supplementation did not influence exercise-induced muscle damage as visualized by CK levels. This finding is in agreement with studies by Warren et al. (33) and Kaikkonen et al. (15) but differ from McBride et al. (18) and Rokitzki et al. (31). The discrepancies could be a result of varied exercise protocols and different duration, quantities, and types of antioxidant supplementation used during the trials. Furthermore, we did not find any correlation between cytokine production and CK. Thus the present study does not support the idea that exercise-induced cytokine production is linked to muscle damage.

The body possesses a natural selection of antioxidant enzymes and coenzymes, which minimizes free oxygen radical damage (7, 13). During periods of increased oxidative stress, e.g., during exercise, an enhancement of these natural antioxidants could occur. In both groups, we observed an increase in the plasma concentration of vitamin C during and after exercise, which could represent a reserve released during periods of greater oxidative stress. Perhaps this could sustain the free oxygen radical-to-antioxidant ratio, thereby eliminating excessive cellular damage. Elite athletes with a high-training regimen have been shown to have elevated baseline antioxidant levels compared with sedentary subjects (3, 16), suggesting an adaptive mechanism. The natural increase in plasma vitamin concentration during and after exercise could possibly abolish the effect of additional vitamin supplementation, though this needs to be further explored.

In conclusion, the present study showed that supplementation with vitamin C and vitamin E combined significantly enhanced the levels of these vitamins in the blood without influencing the cytokine, muscle enzyme, or lymphocyte responses to exercise. Thus this study does not support the idea that the exercise-induced immune changes are generated by free oxygen radicals

Effect of vitamin supplementation on cytokine response and on muscle damage after strenuous exercise
    Emil Wolsk Petersen1,2, Kenneth Ostrowski1,2, Tobias Ibfelt1,2, Myriam Richelle4, Elizabeth Offord4, Jens Halkjær-Kristensen3, and Bente Klarlund Pedersen1,2
    1 Department of Infectious Diseases, Rigshospitalet, 2 Copenhagen Muscle Research Centre, and 3 Department of Orthopedic Medicine and Rehabilitation, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark; and 4 Nestlé Research Center, Lausanne, Switzerland

The present double-blinded, placebo-controlled study investigated whether antioxidant vitamin supplementation was able to modulate the cytokine and lymphocyte responses after strenuous eccentric exercise. Furthermore, muscle enzyme release was examined to see whether antioxidant treatment could reduce muscle damage. Twenty male recreational runners randomly received either antioxidants (500 mg of vitamin C and 400 mg of vitamin E) or placebo for 14 days before and 7 days after a 5% downhill 90-min treadmill run at 75% O2 max. Although the supplemented group differed significantly with regard to plasma vitamin concentration before and after exercise when compared with the placebo group, the two groups showed identical exercise-induced changes in cytokine, muscle enzyme, and lymphocyte subpopulations. The plasma level of interleukin (IL)-6 and IL-1 receptor antagonist increased 20- and 3-fold after exercise. The plasma level of creatine kinase was increased sixfold the day after exercise. The concentrations of CD4+ memory T cells, CD8+ memory and naïve T cells, and natural killer cells increased at the end of exercise. The total lymphocyte concentration was below prevalues in the postexercise period. In conclusion, the present study does not support the idea that exercise-induced inflammatory responses are induced by free oxygen radicals.

SUPPLEMENTATION WITH VITAMIN C AND N-ACETYL-CYSTEINE
    INCREASES OXIDATIVE STRESS IN HUMANS AFTER AN ACUTE MUSCLE
    INJURY INDUCED BY ECCENTRIC EXERCISE

A. CHILDS, C. JACOBS, T. KAMINSKI, B. HALLIWELL, and C. LEEUWENBURGH*
    Biochemistry of Aging Laboratory, Center for Exercise Science, College of Health and Human Performance, University of Florida,
    Gainesville, FL, USA; and Department of Biochemistry, National University of Singapore, Kent Ridge Crescent, Singapore,
    Singapore
    (Received 1 May 2001; Accepted 15 June 2001)

Abstract—There has been no investigation to determine if the widely used over-the-counter, water-soluble antioxidants
    vitamin C and N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC) could act as pro-oxidants in humans during inflammatory conditions. We
    induced an acute-phase inflammatory response by an eccentric arm muscle injury. The inflammation was characterized
    by edema, swelling, pain, and increases in plasma inflammatory indicators, myeloperoxidase and interleukin-6.
    Immediately following the injury, subjects consumed a placebo or vitamin C (12.5 mg/kg body weight) and NAC (10
    mg/kg body weight) for 7 d. The resulting muscle injury caused increased levels of serum bleomycin-detectable iron and
    the amount of iron was higher in the vitamin C and NAC group. The concentrations of lactate dehydrogenase (LDH),
    creatine kinase (CK), and myoglobin were significantly elevated 2, 3, and 4 d postinjury and returned to baseline levels
    by day 7. In addition, LDH and CK activities were elevated to a greater extent in the vitamin C and NAC group. Levels
    of markers for oxidative stress (lipid hydroperoxides and 8-iso prostaglandin F2a; 8-Iso-PGF2a) and antioxidant enzyme
    activities were also elevated post-injury. The subjects receiving vitamin C and NAC had higher levels of lipid
    hydroperoxides and 8-Iso-PGF2a 2 d after the exercise. This acute human inflammatory model strongly suggests that
    vitamin C and NAC supplementation immediately post-injury, transiently increases tissue damage and oxidative
    stress.

Biochemistry of Aging Laboratory, Center for Exercise Science, College of Health and Human Performance, University of Florida,
    Gainesville, FL, USA; and Department of Biochemistry, National University of Singapore, Kent Ridge Crescent, Singapore,
    Singapore

Abstract—There has been no investigation to determine if the widely used over-the-counter, water-soluble antioxidants
    vitamin C and N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC) could act as pro-oxidants in humans during inflammatory conditions. We
    induced an acute-phase inflammatory response by an eccentric arm muscle injury. The inflammation was characterized
    by edema, swelling, pain, and increases in plasma inflammatory indicators, myeloperoxidase and interleukin-6.
    Immediately following the injury, subjects consumed a placebo or vitamin C (12.5 mg/kg body weight) and NAC (10
    mg/kg body weight) for 7 d. The resulting muscle injury caused increased levels of serum bleomycin-detectable iron and
    the amount of iron was higher in the vitamin C and NAC group. The concentrations of lactate dehydrogenase (LDH),
    creatine kinase (CK), and myoglobin were significantly elevated 2, 3, and 4 d postinjury and returned to baseline levels
    by day 7. In addition, LDH and CK activities were elevated to a greater extent in the vitamin C and NAC group. Levels
    of markers for oxidative stress (lipid hydroperoxides and 8-iso prostaglandin F2a; 8-Iso-PGF2a) and antioxidant enzyme
    activities were also elevated post-injury. The subjects receiving vitamin C and NAC had higher levels of lipid
    hydroperoxides and 8-Iso-PGF2a 2 d after the exercise. This acute human inflammatory model strongly suggests that
    vitamin C and NAC supplementation immediately post-injury, transiently increases tissue damage and oxidative
    stress.
    Last edited by Alpha-Male; 06-24-2005 at 06:34 PM. Reason: repost

Im gonna do a quick search for the article that explains that those are wrong.

and also Im NOT trying to limit free radicals post workout with the ascorbic acid. The effect Im looking for is the cortisol lowering one aswell as its ability to increase insulin sensitivity.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-Male

Singapore

stress.
    I cant find the article. But my first point here is that they used a very small vitamin c dosage. Its comon knoweledge among the vit c experts that vitamin c behaves in a different way when megadoses. That dosage in the study would equal a bit over a gram in me. I take over 5 times that much post workout and 3 times as much pre workout.

btw read the studies you have posted lol. 2 of them claim free radicals isnt involved in exercise induced tissue damage/inflamation is caused

the other 2 claim that since the levels of free radicals increase when taking NAC or vit c it must cause more tissue damage. Doesnt seem like they can make upp there minds.

I think im gonna try 30grams IM in the next couple of days

ill try it for 3 days if im ok ....no syptoms or nething wierd ill up to 50grams
    now how do i inject?

ironfreak how are you preparing that IM solution. Are you including edetate disodium. It is there to prevent hypercalcemia. Im guessing large ammounts of ascorbic acid can create hypercalcemia and that can be dangerous.

huh isnt it available in pharmacies?
    ill just pick up the solution and stab my butt muwahahahahah

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information