63190 is offline Anabolic Member

Propecia or Rogain?

My little brother started using this stuff and probably hasn't done any research.
    He's 21 and starting to resemble Jack Nicholson as far as his hair line is concerned. I feel bad for him, because I am 28 and have no forehead to speak of.
    Any way, a supervisor at work says he buys Propecia in Mexico and that he's actually starting to see new hair growth. This dude is in his 40's. I figure if my brother starts soon, he can maybe keep what he's got and maybe get some of what he lost back.
    Which works better: Propecia or Rogain?
    Last edited by 63190; 07-03-2005 at 08:14 PM.

JasperJ is offline Junior Member
    Rogaine usually only helps the vertex (top back) of the scalp. Propecia has a poor rate of regrowth. On average, it may help slow down MPB. In short, neither, but there's little harm in in giving them a trial run.

So, do you know if it will help out his receeding hair line? As far as I can tell, he doesn't have a problem with the vertex.
    I remember hearing some thing about Proscar a while back. That stuff any good/ still around?

yannick32 is offline Associate Member
    What is your brother diet like, and is he stessed out a lot, male patern baldness sucks big time, i have been dealing with this for 3 years now and i am 33, i use rogaine each day but this alone cannot solve the problem, the body has to get a lot of protein cause to make the hair stronger and thicker it needs it.

Studies say that soy protein is real good and if you look at the asian they got full head of hair , and smoke a lot and eat lots of fish, so flax oil and omega is one other thing to consider.

Since i train i get the benefits of both worlds i got myself 3 power shakes i use each day 1 cup of soy, 2 scoops of whey, 1-2 whole eggs and flax oil 1 tbs, this has all the key ingredients for full hair growth.

Nioxin has 2 great products also called cleanser and scalp therapy both are very high vitamines and apparantly dht removers. I use both of theses prodcuts on and off with some good results.

Or maybe your brother should get some consulting via a hair specalist. 21 is really young to lose is hair.

SexyKitty is offline Female Vet
    I have 2 friends that have both taken Propecia and have seen significant regrowth. Now, I dont know how much hairloss they had compared to your brother but what i can say is that it definitely works better for that "front, receding hairline" kinda hairloss compared to "male pattern baldness", the kind at the back of the head.

They said in order to see results you have to take it daily for at least a year, anything less than that wont do much. Now if your brother is as bald as you say he is, he may not see total regrowth but at least a bit, and will maintain what he has.

Proscar is the same molecule as Propecia, just a different strength (5mg and its for BPH as suppose 1mg and for baldness). Its less expensive than Propecia so some doctors will just write a script for Proscar instead and then the person would alter how they take it to get a dose close to Propecia (I think they split the tabs and take it every other day but not sure)

Sorry, I dont know much about rogaine, I only have second hand information that propecia does work better. If anything, these drugs are quite safe, your brother wouldnt have much to lose by trying it and it sure is cheaper than a hair transplant.

I wish he could just transplant it from me since I don't have a hair line to speak of.
    Any way good info peeps. Thanks. I'll relay this to him. He was asking me if I knew any thing about stacking Rogain with Propecia. I told him I'd ask here. Would they work together or counter act each other?

TomsTwinTowers is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SexyKitty
    I have 2 friends that have both taken Propecia and have seen significant regrowth. Now, I dont know how much hairloss they had compared to your brother but what i can say is that it definitely works better for that "front, receding hairline" kinda hairloss compared to "male pattern baldness", the kind at the back of the head.

They said in order to see results you have to take it daily for at least a year, anything less than that wont do much. Now if your brother is as bald as you say he is, he may not see total regrowth but at least a bit, and will maintain what he has.

Proscar is the same molecule as Propecia, just a different strength (5mg and its for BPH as suppose 1mg and for baldness). Its less expensive than Propecia so some doctors will just write a script for Proscar instead and then the person would alter how they take it to get a dose close to Propecia (I think they split the tabs and take it every other day but not sure)

Sorry, I dont know much about rogaine, I only have second hand information that propecia does work better. If anything, these drugs are quite safe, your brother wouldnt have much to lose by trying it and it sure is cheaper than a hair transplant.
    Can you tell me what BPH is ?

Thank you

Anabolic CEO is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TomsTwinTowers
    Can you tell me what BPH is ?

Thank you

Its technical for Enlarged Prostate.

Avodart (Dutasteride) works twice as good as Propecia. I have been on it for almost a year now and it works great. I also use Rogaine and Saw Palmetto and L-Arginine at 6grams a day, they come in 1000mg pilss so that would be 6 pills a day.

Dally is offline The Dally Lama
    Quote Originally Posted by Anabolic CEO
    Its technical for Enlarged Prostate.

Avodart (Dutasteride) works twice as good as Propecia. I have been on it for almost a year now and it works great. I also use Rogaine and Saw Palmetto and L-Arginine at 6grams a day, they come in 1000mg pilss so that would be 6 pills a day.

more info on this avodart piss.

cman.

fack...im goin bald over here!

Anabolic CEO is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dally
    more info on this avodart piss.

cman.

fack...im goin bald over here!
    I take Avodart (dutasteride) every other day and it works good for me but i am looking into taking HGH as well to help my hair growth out a lot more. Avodarts website is really helpfull in understanding where they are in the Hair Loss community.

Thread Information