Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: **Guide on how to search for information on the forums**

Kale is offline ~ Vet~ I like Thai Girls

Exclamation **Guide on how to search for information on the forums**

OK, so over the years I have been here I have seen many, many people ask questions and then get flamed for not doing any research. Now my view on this is, that as a newbie, doing research isn’t that easy. First of all you have to know how to use the search facility and second of all you have to know how to ask that search facility the right questions. So I thought it was time somebody layed out step by step what needs to be done to do enable somebody to do some research.

So lets use an example. I want to find out everything there is to know about HCG , so what do I do ? Well you have a couple of options, you can go to the Steroid Profile Forum first http://forums.steroid.com/forumdispl...ysprune=&f=104 This is a great place to find out about most of the Steroids you will use and also a lot about the Anti Estrogens you may use as well.

Next step is to start searching the forums for information. Now this is easy, if you look at the top of each page in the forums about three quarters of the way across the page from the left is the word “Search”. So click “Search” and a drop down menu will appear with a heading that says “Search Forums” then a blank field and under that Advance Search. If you type in “HCG” into the blank field and then press the “Go” button every post in ever forum will be searched for the letters “HCG” and a list of every thread containing the word “HCG” will be displayed.

Now this is a good start but you have a lot of reading to do. There is a way of refining the search a little. Most threads which are particularly helpful will have the key word you are looking for in the Title of the thread and not just in the contents. So let’s do a search of the titles.

Click on the Search button again, now when the drop down menu appears click on “Advanced Search” and leave the field empty. This will take you to a page with a few options you need to choose from. If you look at this page for a while it is pretty self explanatory and it is a very strong search tool as well. So we want to find the word “HCG” in the TITLE of every post in every forum. We can narrow it down to individual forums but lets leave that for now.

Go to the left hand side of the screen to the area entitled “Search By Key Word” below that is a blank field. We want to type in “HCG” here, you can put other words in as well if you want to narrow the search even more but lets just stick with “HCG” for now. Now under the field that you just filled in there is a small box that says “Search Entire Post” with a down arrow next to it.

If you do nothing more now and press the “Search Now” button at the bottom of the page, the same search will be done that we did initially on the previous page. Now what you can do is click on the down arrow and you are then given another choice which says “Search Titles Only”. If you select this option then press “Search Now” only the titles of every thread in every forum will be searched and matches displayed.

Play around with this search page as there are many options and alternatives you can use to gather the information you are looking for.

Now here are a couple of links provided by Mercedesdd which will help you search Google more effectivly as well. Time and again I have seen people here ask questions that can be found in Google ina nanosecond

http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en

And

http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/cheatsheet.html

Happy Searching !!!!
    Last edited by Kale; 07-31-2006 at 06:01 PM.
    toddninja and Ameture like this.

zaneisgreat is offline Associate Member
    Great post.

2.minutes is offline Member
    bump for the thai girls lover

Quality stuff

FranKieC is offline "AR's Pretty Boy"
    Amen

Information is offline Information
    i love it, and i am going to sticky it...thanks Kale.

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Kale your the man, great idea for a thread, defo should be a sticky,

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    Now if we can just get newer members to read it.
    -B D
    DO NOT ASK FOR A SOURCE, NONE SHALL BE GIVEN.
    -NO SOURCE CHECKS!-

[email protected]
    If asking cycle advice Post up Stats/previous cycle experience/goals!

If asking diet advice Post Stats/current diet/goals!

“Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same.”

I B D
    AR VET

cheers for the post

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    Thanks Kale. You put in a lot of effort around here, and I for one ALWAYS notice, thanks.

Merc.. is offline Steroidpedia
    Blog Entries
    Great stuff Kale.. Also wanted to add this it is from another board but very infomitive about searching...

Google has a site search function that for some reason people often over looked. The format for this is simple

“site” colon “website domain name” “search terms here”

Example site:steriod .com first cycle

The above search yielded 980 pages. To reduce the number of hits we need to add another term, say “TREN ”. Now we have 145 pages. If that is too many add the words “dosage”. Now we are down to 64 pages. You should get the idea here. The final search term should look like this

site:steriod.com first cycle TREN dosage

You can also go to the advanced page (Google Advanced Search) and do this the long way.

This is a copy of the Google cheat sheet. Use it as it will save you a lot of time. Searching for some study that you don’t know the headings for? (a lot of studies we look at are based on the drug we are interested in where the studies are usually disease oriented).This is how you do it.

Edit can't get this to paste. go here Google Help : Cheat Sheet

here is an edited version

OPERATOR EXAMPLE FINDS PAGES CONTAINING...

What you type and what it means

Default is the AND operator vacation hawaii (the words vacation and Hawaii)

The OR Maui OR Hawaii (either the word Maui or the word Hawaii)

Quotes "To each his own" (the exact phrase)

The NOT operator is the minus sign virus –computer (the word virus but NOT the word computer)

+ means must have Star Wars Episode +I (This movie title, including the roman numeral I)

~ anything in this category ~auto loan (loan info for both the word auto and its synonyms: truck, car, etc.)

dictionary define:computer (definitions of the word computer from around the Web.)

ADVANCED OPERATORS MEANING WHAT TO TYPE INTO SEARCH BOX (& DESCRIPTION OF RESULTS)

site: Search only one website admission site:Stanford University (Search Stanford Univ. site for admissions info.)

[#]…[#] Search within a range of numbers DVD player $100..150(Search for DVD players between $100 and $150)

date: Search only a range of months Olympics date: 3 (Search for Olympics references within past 3, 6, 12-month)

safesearch: Exclude adult-content safesearch: sex education(Search for sex ed material without returning adult sites)

link: linked pages link:Stanford University (Find pages that link to the Stanford University website.)

info: Info about a page info:Stanford University (Find information about the Stanford University website.)

related: Related pages related:Stanford University (Find websites related to the Stanford University website.)

Blog Entries
    Could not get the links to work in the above post so you can use them here..

And

Quote Originally Posted by mercedesdd
    Could not get the links to work in the above post so you can use them here..

And

Thanks guys, I really thought this was needed, now instead of flaming we can point them at this,

Merc

Do you want me to add those two links to my post or all the stuff you wrote or both ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kale
    Thanks guys, I really thought this was needed, now instead of flaming we can point them at this,

Merc

Do you want me to add those two links to my post or all the stuff you wrote or both ?
    Could add both but it's up to you buddy .. Whatever you think!!!!!!

bump for sticky

TADOLFI is offline Member
    Good post Kale - the only other thing I could mention is that people need to "Know" what they want to ask to get a defined answer. Sometimes I think some of the members are fishing for things without knowing exactly what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by TADOLFI
    Good post Kale - the only other thing I could mention is that people need to "Know" what they want to ask to get a defined answer. Sometimes I think some of the members are fishing for things without knowing exactly what they want.
    Yes I agree entirely, this is meant for the guys who are prepared to help themselves

bump

j2111111 is offline New Member
    thank you for that post very helpful

TADOLFI is offline Member
    Worth another read by some....BUMP

KhrisiGirl is offline Female Member
    Informative, good read.
    ~Khrisi~

**When you are not training, someone else is.
    When you compete against them, they will win.**

It is never too late to be what you might have been.

Bizzy4pLaY is offline New Member
    Great post, Heres the thing i can see a lot of people and newbs asking 4 this kind of information not simply because it is allowing them to gain this knowledge but also because they are looking 4 a post...one step closer to a source also....they may just be looking to make a link into a thread/forum that they R not the familiar with. Asking these questions with out research before hand not only allows them to see who is willing to help but those who are more cooperative towards some one with little expierence......just a thought

dcamichael is offline New Member

The knowledge you all share is incredible. A question from a rather inexperienced individual. Is there a "coach" of sorts who can help to filter the incredible amount of informaiton for one who has no experience but is anxious to figure out what might be a good method to "cut my teeth".

AnabolicAndre is offline Anabolic Member
    Great work BUDDY!

Quote Originally Posted by dcamichael
    The knowledge you all share is incredible. A question from a rather inexperienced individual. Is there a "coach" of sorts who can help to filter the incredible amount of informaiton for one who has no experience but is anxious to figure out what might be a good method to "cut my teeth".
    When you get to 25 posts you can start PM'ing people you think might be able to help you. Like me !!

BajanBastard is offline VET Retired
    How did i miss this? 10 out of 10 Kale.

Quote Originally Posted by BajanBastard
    How did i miss this? 10 out of 10 Kale.
    Thanks mate !!!

xorn000 is offline New Member
    Holy hell .. that was a lil too much at first, but after reading it again it all makes sense

undrwrboy is offline New Member
    O.K. here we go.. I'm a newbie as well so here is my stats. Im 34 years old. I'm 6'2, 255lbs. I'm guessing my bodyfat levels are around 18 to 22%. My diet is not the best, but I have been lifting for about 10 years now, so Dedication is the big problem with me. My question is the same as others, I want to do a cycle, but there are a lot of precations to be taken. I just wanted to say thanks for all the super information that is posted on here. I'll do my reserch and hopefully I will be able to add, and ask legit questions for others to read and make educated proposals.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Great thread Kale!!!

realtalk is offline Associate Member
    This was very informative for me as a newbie, thanks kale

Bump for the newbies that dont know about stickies

bump

bump
    -XL

jing jai

henison is offline New Member
    I'm a newbie on my first cycle, 25yrs old. 6' 277lbs, 18% fat. 900 ml Test En, 350 ml D-Bol per week. Thanks for the info...very useful!

m8intl is offline Associate Member
    This is a great resource one can use to familiarize himself with the site. Thanks!

WAR79 is offline Junior Member
    I was having problems navigating a little and that helps out alot. Solid!!!

hotjocknsocks is offline New Member
    great info thanks!

Blog Entries
    Bump for a great post !!!!!!!

Merc.

bowonly is offline Associate Member
    Educated.. thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information