ruffcute is offline Associate Member

Wifes blood test

My wife is having a few problems with her libido and has been having them for a while. She is on medication for a muscle weakness condition and I wanted her to get tested for her sex hormones as her medication could interfere with them. She explained the situation to the doc and she gave my wife a blood test form, these are the things that are to be tested on the form, LH FSH Oe SHBG Testosterones Prolactin. Is there anything missing that should also be tested. It should be for all her sex hormones, to see why she would have a low libido.

I think she needs some testosterone hrt as her medication is affecting her natural testosterone production but test should help find out whats going on. p.s. shes 25 years old

Any help or advice would be really useful.
    Last edited by ruffcute; 04-23-2010 at 03:58 AM.

BJJ
    BJJ is offline Sapiens Fingit Fortunam Sibi
    I do not understand why she was not tested for her estrogen levels, much more important than testosterone for a young female.

I asked myself the same question. But thought the 'Oe' bit written on her blood test form was for estrogen or something.

Vettester is offline Banned
    Is she on birth control pills? The doctor had my switch up to a different pill when she had similar issues.

no she isnt on any birth control pills just other meds for her muscle weakness

Can you elaborate where the muscle weakness stems from? Also, what types of meds does she take for this? Maybe there's some correlation with all of this.

she has mysthenia gravis, not sure the name of her meds though as they get changed after a while.

So sorry you guys are going through this. I know very little about this illness, except some of the symptoms. I'm taking a stab by saying that the meds could be the root of the problem.

I agree that her estrogen should be included on the panel, it would only make sense when checking hormones. Did the doctor mention anything about the meds having sides?
    Last edited by Vettester; 04-23-2010 at 11:26 PM.

Thanks for the help, the doctor has mentioned that there are side effects to her meds to her liver and ovaries, so she is also getting a scan done on them, as doctor said they produce some hormones.

PPC
    PPC is offline Super Knowledgeable ~ Female Member
    She needs to be tested for estradiol, progesterone and testosterone at the least. I would try to throw dhea-s in there. If she is still cycling this would best be done on day 18-21 of her cycle when levels are at their peak. In a perfect world, a urine test to check the breakdown of her three estrogens would be best.

Her libido may be improved with between 5-20mg a day of dhea. Most women cannot take more than 15 mg a day without occurence of acne or unwanted face hair.

While testosterone is the hormone of lust, estrogen is a game player too. Women will not be able to find their libido until their estrogen is optimised. Estrogen helps women actually be tuned in with their own body and enjoy it more. It lubricates and plumps vaginal tissue and causes greater blood flow to that area. A female won't feel sexual with a dry vagina.

It will be good if her doctor can make sure all three of her sex homrones are brought to youthful levels. Once estrogen is above 100 atleast, some testosterone cream can be used to further enhancement. Giving testosterone without sufficient estrogen will only cause aggression and irritability without increasing desire.

Progesterone is a must if that is not in a good range to protect against the reproductive cancers.

Thread Information