Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hypersomnia is offline New Member

Curing my sleepyness

Hi fellas!
    I write here in hopes of getting some tips from experienced and humble people.

I've been suffering from excessive sleepyness for several years, and the last year has been completely unbearable .
    It feels like I'm living inside a dream 100% of my waken time (groggy and foggy/slow thinking).
    My libido is not very good, sometimes it can be dead for months.
    My eyes are gritty and humid, mostly after a sleeping session (I have to wash them in able to see clearly).

Things I've done/tried
    - Supplements for long periods of time: B5, B6, B12, C, D, Omega-3, Magnesium, Calcium, Iron, etc).
    - I'm 24 years old, fit, healthy and I'm happy with life in general, but I still decided to meet a psychologist to exclude things like depression (twice!).
    - Done basic blood tests that doctors usually proposes, normal results.
    - Done hormonal blood tests (free testosterone , FSH, SHBG, Cortisol, TSH, T3, T4), all within normal reference values.
    - Done test for sleep apnea, normal results.
    - The last thing I went through was an MSLT, which basically said that I suffered from mild hypersomnia.

However, hypersomnia isn't really a diagnosis, its a condition with no knowledge of underlying cause.
    The doctor prescribed me Modafinil, which basically added me insomnia and a resting heart rate above 100, all my symptoms remained.
    Even if stimulants would make me more alert, what if they are "treating" the wrong disease?

There must be more things that can cause extreme sleepyness?
    What can and shall I do? Can I demand more tests from my doctor and which ones?

I'm truly grateful for any help that I can get .

Hypersomnia

flatscat is offline Knowledgeable Member
    post your lab results - sometimes "normal" isn't normal for your age bro.

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Many docs treat the numbers and not the symptoms...so I agree with above post....please post your BW numbers for more help..
    WELCOME! you will love it here. Lots of great info.

Are you on a TRT /HRT program? If so, what is it? And yes, need to know your stats too.

MaNiCC is offline AR's Think Tank - Retired
    Like the people said above, we need as much information about you as possible so we can do our best to help

Wow, four replies already!
    Thanks SlimmerMe!

I will dig into my folders and get them results soon, don't forget to subscribe to this thread so you don't forget to check it :P

forrest_and_trees: I don't take any HRT or medication at the moment (except Modafinil that I got recently).

You are so welcome!
    subscribe? This Forum has routine follow-ups from a pool of regular members so you will be checked out again and again!
    Last edited by SlimmerMe; 10-15-2010 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimmerMe View Post
    You are so welcome!
    subscribe? This Forum has routine follow-ups from a pool of regular members so you will be checked out again and again!
    Oh I see .

Well seems like I've successfully lost my result papers somewhere in my home, so I called the hospital and told them to send me new copies this week. So don't hold your breath guys :P.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypersomnia View Post
    Oh I see .

Well seems like I've successfully lost my result papers somewhere in my home, so I called the hospital and told them to send me new copies this week. So don't hold your breath guys :P.
    No problem. Meantime lots of info to absorb around here....so keep hanging out!

Okay I finally got them! I'll wrote down all the ones that I mentioned (there is a lot more), if there is any other value that you guys want to know just shout.

TSH: 3.0 (0.4 - 4.0)
    T4: 19 (12 - 22)
    T3: 5.4 (3.1 - 7.0)
    Cortisol: 538 (? - ?)
    hCG : <1 (<10)
    FSH: 2.9 (1.0 - 13.0)
    LH: 3.8 (2.0 - 9.0)
    Prolactin: 15 (4 - 24)
    Testosteron: 15 (6 - 35)
    SHBG: 49 (13 - 71)

One thing that I noticed was that my TSH is in the upper range, should this be further investigated?
    Also I read that men in my age should have testosterone in the upper range, is this true?

Regards

THANKS, now some help will be on its way....do you happen to have your Total Testosterone level? if taken? curious...no problem if not, just more info..and glucose or A1C..??? were these taken? anyway...the pros of BW will chime in so be patient!

THANKS, now some help will be on its way....do you happen to have your Total Testosterone level? if taken? curious...no problem if not, just more info..and glucose or A1C..??? were these taken? anyway...the pros of BW will chime in so be patient!
    I think they only wanted to check free testosterone since "that is more accurate".
    If Glucose/A1C is the same as Hemoglobin-B Gb, then yes. My value there was 149 (134 - 170).

Thanks

Vettester is offline Banned
    I think they only wanted to check free testosterone since "that is more accurate".
    If Glucose/A1C is the same as Hemoglobin-B Gb, then yes. My value there was 149 (134 - 170).

Thanks
    Actually, it's best to have both total serum (ng/dl), and the free testosterone (ng/dl). You could have a fairly high serum level, but still have low free & bio-available due to factors like elevated SHBG. So in that case, it wouldn't make much sense to add exogenous test, which would elevate the total serum, when maybe all that is needed is to lower your SHBG, and your E2. Speaking of E2 ... What are your results?

Anyways, IMHO, the optimal ratio for free testosterone is between 2% to 3% of the total serum level. The only way to know this percentage is to know your total serum level. Also curious about DHEA levels.

Lastly, on your cortisol test ... Was that taken in the AM or PM? If taken in the AM, it's borderline getting up there. If taken in the PM, it's definitely high. This is presuming it was a blood test and not urine.

[QUOTE=Hypersomnia;5408062]I think they only wanted to check free testosterone since "that is more accurate".
    Last edited by Vettester; 10-25-2010 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Duplicated Post

It wouldn't cause insomnia, however your TSH is boarder-line based on the "new normal" ranges established about a year ago; which most labs still have not adopted. TSH levels of 3.0 can be considered "clinical hypothyroidism" when the symptoms are present. ...You might want to do a search on Hypothyroidism symptoms and see if any apply to you.
    Last edited by forrest_and_trees; 10-25-2010 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vetteman08 View Post
    Actually, it's best to have both total serum (ng/dl), and the free testosterone (ng/dl). You could have a fairly high serum level, but still have low free & bio-available due to factors like elevated SHBG. So in that case, it wouldn't make much sense to add exogenous test, which would elevate the total serum, when maybe all that is needed is to lower your SHBG, and your E2. Speaking of E2 ... What are your results?

Anyways, IMHO, the optimal ratio for free testosterone is between 2% to 3% of the total serum level. The only way to know this percentage is to know your total serum level. Also curious about DHEA levels.

Lastly, on your cortisol test ... Was that taken in the AM or PM? If taken in the AM, it's borderline getting up there. If taken in the PM, it's definitely high. This is presuming it was a blood test and not urine.
    They haven't checked neither my E2 nor DHEA.
    My cortisol test was done with blood sample from the early morning.

Should I demand a new blood test?

What do you mean insomnia? I suffer from hypersomnia, but the medicine the doctor prescribed me added insomnia . So I was basically walking around dead-tired, and when I laid down, I couldn't fall asleep.
    Yeah I've read a lot about the thyorid and related diseases lately.

A lot of my symptoms do match on hypothyroidism, but much more on hyperthyroidism. Is it possible to have high TSH and suffer from hyperthyroidism?
    Last edited by Hypersomnia; 10-25-2010 at 07:58 PM.

They haven't checked neither my E2 nor DHEA.
    My cortisol test was done with blood sample from the early morning.

Should I demand a new blood test?
    I would suggest that you encourage your doctor to run the additional labs. In addition to your TSH, it would be worthy to run T3 & T4 labs, which will give you a better idea of how your thyroid is looking. On your cortisol ... It still leans to be on the upper end based on the reference ranges I have seen. Could be adrenal fatigue?? Might be worth discussing with a endo (who in turn will hopefully know more than your GP).

I looked up the side effects of Modafinil and it's not pretty! Much nicer if someone can find the origin of your problem and treat it without the potent chemicals.

digitalepiphany is offline New Member
    I've had these very same symptoms going on a decade now. I'm currently on cycle, which has actually helped quite a bit; I'm still not 100%. I'm just worried about going right back to "normal" post-cycle.
    Current cycle:

400mg/wk Sus - 1x/wk for 12 wks
    100mg/pill Var - 1x/day for 8 wks

I've tried getting doctors in the past to test my test levels, but they all refused saying that I was too young. Well, I'm now 32, so I thought I'd take matters into my own hands. And, like I said, there is some improvement. So, after my "semi-successful" experiment is over, I want to get my normal levels checked.

So, how long after ending my cycle can I have tests done similar to OP's without my cycle interfering?

I would suggest that you encourage your doctor to run the additional labs. In addition to your TSH, it would be worthy to run T3 & T4 labs, which will give you a better idea of how your thyroid is looking. On your cortisol ... It still leans to be on the upper end based on the reference ranges I have seen. Could be adrenal fatigue?? Might be worth discussing with a endo (who in turn will hopefully know more than your GP).

I looked up the side effects of Modafinil and it's not pretty! Much nicer if someone can find the origin of your problem and treat it without the potent chemicals.
    They did check T3 and T4 at the same time as my cortisol:
    T4: 19 (12 - 22)
    T3: 5.4 (3.1 - 7.0)

Or do you mean that I should go and do another test? This test is about 6 months old, and I do feel a lot worse than back then.
    About adrenal fatigue, I tried the simple tests home, like measuring blood pressure from sitting to standing and shining a torch into one eye (nothing indicated AF).

Thank you so far =)
    Last edited by Hypersomnia; 10-26-2010 at 06:07 AM.

Yes, it's been 6 months, definitely time for new labs. In addition to revisiting your previous concerns, you can aim to include the other labs we discussed. After that, you'll have the answers everyone is looking for.

Yes, it's been 6 months, definitely time for new labs. In addition to revisiting your previous concerns, you can aim to include the other labs we discussed. After that, you'll have the answers everyone is looking for.
    I will do that for sure! And if all results show "normal" values, does that mean that my problem lies neurologically or mentally? :/
    I really hope that they will find something that can be treated, cause I'm so sick of being tired and unable to work or do stuff that I like .

To sum up what to do next (please fill me in if needed):

New blood test for:
    TSH
    Cortisol
    Testosterone Total
    Testosterone Free
    SHBG
    Estradiol
    DHEA

Regards

MaNiCC is offline AR's Think Tank - Retired
    Have you visited a sleep lab before? Check the depth of sleep etc?

Quote Originally Posted by MaNiCC View Post
    Have you visited a sleep lab before? Check the depth of sleep etc?
    I got to borrow a sleep-machine with me home to register my sleep. The results were fine so the next test was an MSLT which basically said that I suffered from hypersomnia. But hypersomnia is a condition and can be a symptom from other diseases. That's why I'm here :-).

Cheers!

Hyper, your labs listed look fine. Make sure to add the basic lipids, CBC & metabolic panel too.

What do you mean insomnia? I suffer from hypersomnia, but the medicine the doctor prescribed me added insomnia . So I was basically walking around dead-tired, and when I laid down, I couldn't fall asleep.
    Yeah I've read a lot about the thyorid and related diseases lately.

A lot of my symptoms do match on hypothyroidism, but much more on hyperthyroidism. Is it possible to have high TSH and suffer from hyperthyroidism?
    Sorry about that, I too do the "walking dead" thing some times and occasionally don't catch something. So which symptoms of Hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidisim are you experiencing? Have you checked your blood sugar? Both fasting and throughout the day, after eating etc?

Quote Originally Posted by forrest_and_trees View Post
    Sorry about that, I too do the "walking dead" thing some times and occasionally don't catch something. So which symptoms of Hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidisim are you experiencing? Have you checked your blood sugar? Both fasting and throughout the day, after eating etc?
    Hi forrest!
    Except for my excessive need for sleep and daily drowsiness I also have cold-sweating feet almost constantly. My hands can get super cold when I'm at the computer for no reason like I've been playing with snow. Despite this, I like it better in cold rooms, because the rest of my body is often very hot in normal room temperature. My eyes are gravelly and I have to wash them to be able to see clearly. My heart rate is generally low, around 60. I can eat A LOT without gaining weight, but when I do gain, all fat is being placed around my waist for sure (even though I work out often). Memory loss, especially bad short memory. Stiff neck and upper back. Bad libido most of the time.

Those are the symptoms that I can think of now. I bet there are more that aren't that obvious.

Thanks

One thing that I've had in mind lately is magnesium.
    Can you determine magnesium deficiency by checking blood values?
    I have a quite high level of calcium in my blood (2.47 nmol/L last checked), and as I understand it, too much calcium isn't good - you need to balance with magnesium. Lack of magnesium can cause a lot of symptoms, one of them being fatigue.

I still eat a lot of dairy products so I guess my calcium level still is high. And I do not eat any magnesium at the moment. I'll go get some right after my next blood test (don't want to manipulate the results now do I), its sure worth a shot!

Also vitamin D can cause symptoms like fatigue, but unfortunately I've been eating that the last year, but maybe its still worth checking my level there while I'm at it right?

Cheers guys

weknowbobbito is offline Junior Member
    thanks!

Thanks for what? :P

I finally met my doctor today and all she wanted to do was to prescribe me SSRI... This is so ridiculous.

Sorry to hear this...I know you are frustrated...so...WHAT is your next move? your plan?

Sounds like you're getting stroked!!!

amcon is offline physical pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside... The pain of quiting will lasts forever!!
    you liver and kidneys are your "energy " organs - do a detox of them , also get you test levels checkede... you should be above 550 if you are active, adn above 400 if you not (around 4000 if you a body builder lolol) then go from there

Sorry to hear this...I know you are frustrated...so...WHAT is your next move? your plan?
    I have no idea to be honest. I wrote down exactly how I felt and showed it to her, like I told you guys. I said that this has been going on for so long now and its getting worse and worse, and that I'm starting to get depressed just because its hindering me from doing what I like. In my case, the sleepiness causes the depression, not the other way around. Still she wants to try different SSRI-meds on me. I'm starting Valdoxan tomorrow.

I mean, if my lab results says I'm healthy, I guess there's nothing left for me to demand? What about CAT scan then?

My mom recently got the diagnosis bipolar/ADHD which is highly "inheritable", but as I said I'm not depressed. And can even conditions like bipolar/ADD cause extreme sleepiness?

I would even be happy with the diagnosis ADD, just so I can finally get the right treatment and hopefully get energy to move on and work again!

odd I was thinking ADD before you mentioned it....
    ADD medication will help you with energy. Make sure to keep your adrenals supplemented because many ADD meds drain the adrenals....
    the main thing is to get your life back. First and foremost. Break the cycle. Then wonderful things can happen!

odd I was thinking ADD before you mentioned it....
    ADD medication will help you with energy. Make sure to keep your adrenals supplemented because many ADD meds drain the adrenals....
    the main thing is to get your life back. First and foremost. Break the cycle. Then wonderful things can happen!
    Wow really? :O
    But can ADD really cause such extreme sleepiness, or can it be a combination as well? Like ADD + huge need for sleep?
    And why has it gotten so much worse the last 10 months? Is it possible that the Pandemrix flu vaccine boosted my symptoms? I know a boy who got narcolepsy from it.

I told my doctor that I would consider an ADD-test, since many things there match me. Can the right medication wake me up? I feel like a role in the movie Inception right now. I barely know when its a dream or not anymore cause my waking hours is so surreal! And what do you mean by adrenal supplements? Stuff like magnesium, b12, c, d?

Thanks for the help so far Slimmer =)

zabster151 is offline Member
    sounds like you need to smoke some weed.

Quote Originally Posted by zabster151 View Post
    sounds like you need to smoke some weed.
    Sound like you need to quit smoking weed

hey Zabster.....please edit your post....not a good idea....can get you in trouble!

and OP: sometimes ADD medication can help keep you "up" with energy and obviously more focus...and as far as an adrenal supplement..there are some OTC things which help a lot but I am not sure I can say them here....just search adrenal support..also...perhaps you need to balance your cortisol with a little Corfef or something....
    there is a female member here who I am going to PM for you....she might get a real handle on this situation so hopefully she will chime in....I hope so because to feel this way must feel horrible!
    Last edited by SlimmerMe; 11-16-2010 at 09:29 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information