PK-V is offline Productive Member

Lightbulb High levels of testosterone cause retention of sodium potassium calcium & phosphates

To what extent are these important to us?

Ok so sodium obviously can cause hypertension

but is the potassium not equally retained to form an equilibrium?

calcium? the more the merrier right!? increase in bone density where is the downside there?

One comes to my mind it can lead to an imbalance of calcium to magnesium and magnesium as we know relaxes (ever get those spasms in your muscles after a workout? thats a lack of magnesium, calcium is used for contraction and magnesium relaxes the muscle) so where was I... yea so been hearing a lot of athletes dropping dead with a COD of HCM (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy) we might be susceptible to more heart problems as magnesium also relaxes the heart!

and as for the increase in inorganic phosphates... it has been linked to cancer
    what can counter act inorganic phosphates in the body?

I'm gonna look into it right now!

Hmmm I just found a link to a study saying

"Inorganic phosphate (Pi) and cofilin/actin depolymerizing factor proteins have opposite effects on actin filament structure and dynamics. Pi stabilizes the subdomain 2 in F-actin and decreases the critical concentration for actin polymerization."

FEBS J. 2006 Apr;273(7):1488-96.
    Inorganic phosphate regulates the binding of cofilin to actin filaments.

would I be right in interpreting this as excess inorganic phosphates has a decreasing effect on actin protein folding thus we might be reducing the importance of a cellular processes which is used in muscular contraction

apologizes for lack of punctuation

/food for thought

Hawaii808 is offline New Member
    Hmmm. Interesting subject. Athletes drop dead from many things. Have never heard of athletes dropping dead from calcium yet alone magnesium.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaii808 View Post
    Hmmm. Interesting subject. Athletes drop dead from many things. Have never heard of athletes dropping dead from calcium yet alone magnesium.
    More as a contributing factor than a direct culprit

But important none the less (see below)

"Magnesium is essential to heart health. It helps maintain a normal heart rhythm and is sometimes given intravenously (IV) in the hospital to reduce the chance of atrial fibrillation and cardiac arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat). People with congestive heart failure (CHF) are often at risk for developing cardiac arrhythmia. For this reason, your doctor may decide that magnesium should be a part of the treatment of CHF. One well-designed study found that taking magnesium orotate for a year reduced symptoms and improved survival rates compared to placebo in people with CHF. Magnesium and calcium need to work together at very precise ratios to ensure your heart functions properly. If you have a cardiac history, talk to your doctor before taking magnesium supplements."

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/magnesium-000313.htm

Yes I know the medical aspects of it. I'm a gastric bypass patient and gotta take supplements for life which includes, magnesium, potassium, B1, B-12, ect: this is a great post.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaii808 View Post
    Yes I know the medical aspects of it. I'm a gastric bypass patient and gotta take supplements for life which includes, magnesium, potassium, B1, B-12, ect: this is a great post.
    I feel your pain bro, recently diagnosed with a histamine regulation disease and im on supplements for life along side my meds to keep levels under control

This is why im so interested in all of this sort of stuff and why I studied nutrition

Best of luck with your condition bro

I was 325lbs On the day of surgery. High Cholesterol, High Blood pressure, Hypertension, pre diabetic, sleep apnea. I was a walking stroke waiting to happen. Went all the way down to 175lbs 8 months after surgery. Luckily, with my age, I didn't have that excess skin u see on gastric bypass people. Now that my appetite is up and my stomach stretched out to about half of what it used to be, and my blood levels are in check, and I have no medical issues. I can honestly say, my knowledge back then about AAS was zero thus making me gain all that weight with improper information. Ow I'm more knowledgable and know what needs to be done safely. Thanks bro and I wish u luck as well

bumping

Thread Information