basketballfan22 is offline Senior Member

Should I alter my diet during my first cycle?

Before I give my diet, I will mention some information about me. I am 23 (almost 24), 6'0, weigh around 182 pounds, and am very lean. I have been lifting for about 5 years now; and although I have always eaten healthily, I have been this strict about my diet for only about a year. I have always had a very fast metabolism and have trouble gaining weight. I believe I have plateaued, so I am contemplating using steroids to get to that next level. Although I would like to gain weight, my goal is to be a ripped 200 or so. I don't want to be too big (no offense to anyone), but I am primarily interested in having a more athletic figure. Despite my fast metabolism, I do get worried about gaining too much fat when I increase my caloric intake; but I digress. Anyway, onto my diet.

Typical day (yes, I have a rather monotonous diet)

Breakfast:
    Whey protein isolate shake (25 g of protein)
    1/2 cup of steel-cut oatmeal with 1 cup of nonfat milk and 1 cup of water
    1 apple
    1 piece of whole grain toast
    1 fish oil capsule
    1 multivitamin
    1 glass of orange juice

Lunch:
    1 cup of nonfat greek yogurt with a drizzle of honey
    1 can of tuna
    1 banana

Workout/post workout:
    45 minutes in workout, I drink another whey protein isolate shake (25 g of protein)
    After my workout (90-120 minutes after I started), I drink another whey protein isolate shake with a cup of nonfat milk and 60 grams of dextrose, take a fish oil capsule, and a multivitamin.

Dinner:
    varies, but usually consists of around 1200 calories

Before bed:
    Casein protein shake with a cup of nonfat milk
    1 fish oil capsule
    1 multivitamin

Water: around 16-20 cups in a day.

Total targeted breakdown:
    3500-4000 calories
    40%:25%:35% carbohydrate to fat to protein caloric ratio

Should I alter this that much?
    Thanks

Because what has been pointed out in another thread I started, I should clarify any inconsistencies in my diet. The things mentioned are items that are ALWAYS eaten; however (I have the myfitnesspal app on my iPhone, so I keep track exactly of my calories and caloric breakdown), they do not even come close to the 3500-4000 calories that I need. To achieve the remaining calories, I eat a similarly strict but much more diverse diet. I have been to a professional nutritionist and along with the aforementioned app, a goal of 3440 calories a day is what I should shoot for in order to gain around 1.5 pounds per week. My end goal is to be a very lean and ripped 200 (I still want my six-pack).

Tron3219 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Honestly, I think u should wait another year or two before you start cycling. Have you tried a diet like this before? Altering your workouts, etc to help u get past ur plateau?

Tron3219,

That has been the advice I seem to have been getting, and I have to say that I am pretty happy. I never thought I would ever do steroids , but a a good friend whom I work out with has started juicing. He is not half as paranoid (in a good way) and careful as I am, but I am definitely tempted a lot more now. I do believe the negative effects of intelligent steroid use are exaggerated, but I was and still am hesitant about ****ing with my hormones. Even as I read more about them and am leaning towards using, I still don't want to become an avid user. I am under the impression that although I will lose mass once I get off the juice, I will still be able to enjoy some of the gains (assuming I am just as strict about my workout routine and diet). I am hoping that once I go on a few cycles, I will pass that hump I seem to currently be facing; and I won't need to continue.

I think I will hold off, and instead I will experiment a little more with my diet and routine while at the same time becoming more knowledgeable about steroids and hopefully gaining some trust with my fellow members just in case if I ever do decide to use.

Also I have altered my workouts several times over the past 5 years as well as my diet, but I have not been this strict about my diet before. I will continue trying new things, but one thing (and I know this is stupid) that is a problem with me especially when it comes to my workout routine is that I spent so much time working on it that I believe I have the ideal routine, and consequently I am not too keen on changing things. For example, I know it is good to change exercises because of our muscle memory; but the exercises I do are the ones I have read are the most effective. Instead of taking out the flat bench for something new, I will just add in the new exercise; thus further increasing the amount of time I am in the gym. I know I have to get over this and just "bite the bullet," but I think it is my OCD that makes it difficult for me to do.

Tron3219 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Changing ur workouts is a must, not necessarily the lift, but more so the way you do it. Different variations of say bench press. Negatives, different up and down counts, changing your grip, etc. think outside the box in all aspects of your training before making the plunge. Most of us around here say 25 because in average that's when your endocrine system has stopped developing, and you increase the risk of developing issues later in life. I know your close, and the temptation is strong, because with a spot on diet, aas will help you blast past your genetic potential, and if done right, you can and will keep a lot of your gains.

Now that I have surpassed 25 posts, I will supply a couple links to threads I have started.

My first cycle thread:
    http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...e#.UPuOTKWi1N0

My workout thread:
    http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...k#.UPuOj6Wi1N0

t-dogg is offline Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Again as I stated in your other threads, this isnt 3500-4000cals. More like 2500 approx.

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Have you read the lean bulking sticky by GBrice?
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

kronik420 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basketballfan22 View Post
    Before I give my diet, I will mention some information about me. I am 23 (almost 24), 6'0, weigh around 182 pounds, and am very lean. I have been lifting for about 5 years now; and although I have always eaten healthily, I have been this strict about my diet for only about a year. I have always had a very fast metabolism and have trouble gaining weight. I believe I have plateaued, so I am contemplating using steroids to get to that next level. Although I would like to gain weight, my goal is to be a ripped 200 or so. I don't want to be too big (no offense to anyone), but I am primarily interested in having a more athletic figure. Despite my fast metabolism, I do get worried about gaining too much fat when I increase my caloric intake; but I digress. Anyway, onto my diet.

Typical day (yes, I have a rather monotonous diet)

Breakfast:
    Whey protein isolate shake (25 g of protein)
    1/2 cup of steel-cut oatmeal with 1 cup of nonfat milk and 1 cup of water
    1 apple
    1 piece of whole grain toast
    1 fish oil capsule
    1 multivitamin
    1 glass of orange juice

Lunch:
    1 cup of nonfat greek yogurt with a drizzle of honey
    1 can of tuna
    1 banana

Workout/post workout:
    45 minutes in workout, I drink another whey protein isolate shake (25 g of protein)
    After my workout (90-120 minutes after I started), I drink another whey protein isolate shake with a cup of nonfat milk and 60 grams of dextrose, take a fish oil capsule, and a multivitamin.

Dinner:
    varies, but usually consists of around 1200 calories

Before bed:
    Casein protein shake with a cup of nonfat milk
    1 fish oil capsule
    1 multivitamin

Water: around 16-20 cups in a day.

Total targeted breakdown:
    3500-4000 calories
    40%:25%:35% carbohydrate to fat to protein caloric ratio

Should I alter this that much?
    Thanks
    lol you must like your protein shakes, get rid of a few, eat more food, chicken, beef, fish, eggs etc..

and add some veggies, sweet potatoes, broccoli, etc..

i like my shakes too, but i add other things other than just whey + milk/water, try this:
    http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...e#.UPuyFh3qkpU

do you wake up in the middle of the night? to go to the toilet or whatever? if so, don't be afraid to walk to the kitchen and get something to eat before you go back to bed

SteM, no I have not read it; but I just bookmarked it and will read it later today. Thanks for the recommendation.

kronik420, as I later added a clarification on my diet, those are not the only things I eat. I do eat bananas, apples, pomegranates, and oranges is varying amounts. I also eat vegetables, especially during dinner. I know I don't get enough vegetables (the nutritionist I went to said 10-12 servings per day), but I do eat at least 4 or 5 servings. I know people are usually surprised by the amount of shakes I consume, but I find it difficult to shovel down enough food to account for the protein I would normally obtain from a shake.

warmouth is offline Productive Member
    I am not seeing as many calories as you are. Your dinner you say is approximatley 1200 calories, but judging your other meals, I have a hard time believing it. There is a sticky or 2 you should read on bulking and cutting (I do too). I would decrease the amount of shakes and increase the amounts of whole foods if this is something that you can do. I know it can be difficult, but it really is better. And last thing I will add. If you are looking for a bit more size, I would cut your workout time in half. You are working out for 2 hours at a time, which has to be eating up alot of your daily calories. Just consider trying to lift heavy and lower reps. And dont take long breaks in between sets. That way you can get in and out and rest up. As far as dieting, I am still learning that myself, and this forum is the best at teaching.

Yeah, I have been aware about the fact that I should substitute the shakes for real food; but as I mentioned before, it is hard to meet my protein goals while keeping my other macros lower. Trust me about my dinners. I know the rest of the day's diet is not at all indicative of a 1200 calorie dinner, but I keep track on my phone. I know it is not ideal to have such a large sized meal, but it is difficult to consume calories on such a regular basis. Although the items mentioned above are divvied up more appropriately (I don't actually eat my tuna with my yogurt for example), my dinner could be spit up into smaller portions. There are items not mentioned like olive oil, occasionally chicken, almonds, pistachios that add up more than one would think. I merely eat the above items ALL the time. If I kept the rest of my diet so rigid, I would more than likely get burnt out on my diet. I changed up my workout routine, and I plan on starting it tomorrow. My new routine should only take 45-60 minutes, so hopefully I will see some changes. Thanks for the advice.

Despite all that I have read on creatine and the prevalence of it in the bodybuilding community, I am still hesitant about taking it. I am not fond of the fact that it bloats you up at all, and I suppose that is the main reason I don't want to take it. Do you guys think it is necessary for me to include creatine in my diet in order to gain the 15 pounds of lean muscle that I am looking for?

I have posted this question in the creatine forum, but I thought I would ask it in a couple of threads that I stared myself.

Thanks.

Thread Information