Beetlegeuse is offline Knowledgeable Member

How to increase dosage from the Androderm patch?

I've been diagnosed with hypogonadism and placed on the 4mg Androderm patch for TRT. I know the patch doesn't enjoy a very high reputation here but, for better or worse, that's really the only treatment option I have at the moment.

So how can I get the biggest boost possible from the patch? I'm asking here because the posters here don't seem to be particularly squeamish about speaking frankly concerning off-label use. I searched before I posted, and I did find a post in the stickies (about seven years old) referencing all the discussions about how to do this very thing. But, curiously, I couldn't find any of the threads the poster (who only ever posted twice) was referring to.

Is one area of the body more receptive, like is the uptake on the abdomen better than on the thighs or the upper arms? What about wearing each patch more than one day (if my skin will tolerate it), meaning I perpetually would be wearing today's patch and yesterday's patch. Is there any benefit to using the left-over gel from the old patches as an ointment, maybe smearing it on the pulse points, like the crook of the elbow, behind the knee, or the wrists and ankles?

Is there anything I've not considered that could enhance the dosage I get from the patch?

GotNoBlueMilk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    There was a post about using the patch in conjunction with a compound that helps the skin absorb more T through it. I can't remember the name of the compound, but it is frequently used in tropical agents.

Seems the post came from a regular . . . hopefuly he will read and post here.

2Sox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I did patches and got up to over 800 on them - but they wreaked hell on my skin and I had to quit. If you can take it, try keeping the old one on longer. That's what I did. Also use clobestosol cream directly on the patch before applying. It's a prescription anti inflammation - like cortisone but stronger. Generic is available. It helped a little. But if you're sensitive there's nothing you can really do.

Thanks for the info, gents.

2Sox, I've found I get a really ugly wheal if I leave a patch on for two days, but it isn't fatal. Itches like hell on the abdomen, though. Gonna try sticking to the thighs and upper arms, provided I've got enough real estate so the oldest spots heal up before I have to use them again.

GotNoBlueMilk, are you referring to DMSO? There are several posts in this forum that swear it's the real deal, but I also found one post that said it kills test. That post's only reference was a link to a old <Error 404> message at the U of Florida about using DMSO for burn treatment (no longer on the university's web site but I found a copy on the Wayback Machine). There's one post from a PhD in that thread who wrote, "DMSO has the ability to neutralize testosterone ."

What I keep coming back to is that the label says there's 19.5 mg of test in the patch, and 4 mg nominal uptake. Which could mean that, even if I wear the patch for two days, I still might be throwing away 10 mg (+) of test every day. Seems a waste.

So no one has tested using the remaining gel as an ointment? I tried rubbing it in and it readily melts from body heat. Surely some of it is getting in. I don't get tested but infrequently so I figure I can learn more from folks who've been there, done that and got the T-shirt rather than from my own experimentation.

Trific is offline Member
    It's just that the person you're looking for hasn't spotted your post yet.

I've read some in the past have put some kind of test cream on their scrotum for faster absorbtion, I'd only test a small amount at first, to make sure I wasn't too sensitive.

2Sox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    There is a permeability agent in the patch which is likely the stuff that irritates. How much is still in the remaining material after 24 hours is a guess. But I read a post somewhere where someone opened the patch with a razor and spread the rest on his skin. Don't remember the results though. If you're adventurous give it a try and see what happens. I'd keep it away from the scrotum though.

I had a follow-up Monday, with blood-work. The free Test is done by an outside lab so I don't have that number yet but my Total Test was down from 273 to 220-something (but up from 103 before beginning treatment, all afternoon tests).

The 273 was after the first six days of treatment, one patch a day. Several weeks ago, I started wearing each patch for two days, and every time I removed a patch, I squeezed out the remaining gel and rubbed it into the crooks of my elbows and behind my knees. Which I was hoping would improve my uptake from the patch. I guess not.

So I reckon either the "efficacy" of the patch on me was pretty short-lived, or I've got all I'm going to get out of any individual patch after 24 hours.

They're switching me to 1.62% Androgel , 20.25mg pump.

FWIW, I asked my urologist about wearing each patch for two days, and rubbing in the unused gel. He said he was aware he had patients using both techniques and as far as he was concerned, it couldn't do any harm (so long as you don't inject it, inhale it or ingest it).

And on the subject of one region of the body being more receptive to the gel, he said he didn't think it made any difference: "Skin is skin" sez he. He said the Androgel instructions say to rub on the upper arms entirely because that was the only application site used in the clinical trials.

Rusty11 is offline Senior Member

Excellent info, Rusty. Thank you for that.

Rusty11 is offline Senior Member
    Hopefully, you'll see/feel a change with the androgel . Here's a good sticky which gives a pretty accurate timeline on different aspects of trt:http://forums.steroid.com/hormone-re...k-you-ask.html

Keep in mind, many guys experience testicular atrophy/pain within a few weeks to months. If this occurs, talk to your doc about hCG . It's made all the difference in the world for me. There's a sticky about that, as well.

My complaints of chronic testicular pain is what led to the diagnosis of hypogonadism.

Even with such modest increases in Total and Free Test (from 103 to 273, and from 3.8 to 11.3), I already can tell a difference in my endurance and recovery from exercise. My libido, OTOH, seems to be going in the wrong direction.

I've read the hCG sticky in detail, as well as some of Dr. Crisler's papers at All Things Male. For financial reasons (& no health insurance), my options for hCG treatment are limited, and my PCP isn't one of the options. But I'm highly motivated to find an alternative source because my testicles are two of my favorite recreational body parts.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Dmso......

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    Dmso......
    Sorry, I don't get it.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetlegeuse View Post
    Sorry, I don't get it.
    Dimethyl sulfoxide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thread Information