Hephens is offline Member

protien and calories

I take protien usualy before cardio and i no that protien is 4calories per gram. Now does that mean i have to burn of that aswel or will my muscle use it? I no muscles use protien yes but does that mean it adds extra calories on that u have to burn anwyays?

T_Own is offline Formula1 Aficionado
    idk if i'm just plain wrong, but isn't burning calories the same as your muscles using it?

sam_sneed is offline Associate Member
    protein drink before cardio is pretty useless in my opinion. if you have 20g Whey thats 80calories your body will use as energy before you get to burning any fat (or glycogen) which is obviously counter-productive, best wait until afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by sam_sneed View Post
    protein drink before cardio is pretty useless in my opinion. if you have 20g Whey thats 80calories your body will use as energy before you get to burning any fat (or glycogen) which is obviously counter-productive, best wait until afterwards.
    yes thats what i wanted to no thankyou. I do cardio first thing in the morning guys think i'll be safe without protien for a hour and doing cardio?

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    also depends on what kind of cardio you are doing. intervals, which is better and more efficient than the old hour in the morning cardio, usually requires some sort of carb/protein offering beforehand.

i do intervals but i always try n keep my heat rate low (cause too high and burns muscle) i dnt let it go too high once it does i just start slowing down. Anymore advice

intervals means sprinting in my book. and just because you heart rate is high doesn't mean you "burn muscle"... that happens in a caloric defeceit. i've been experimenting with sprinting routines lately and i've found one that has helped boost my performance in sports and in the gym. i'll explain later tonight... off to work.

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by novastepp View Post
    intervals means sprinting in my book. and just because you heart rate is high doesn't mean you "burn muscle"... that happens in a caloric defeceit. i've been experimenting with sprinting routines lately and i've found one that has helped boost my performance in sports and in the gym. i'll explain later tonight... off to work.
    Nova looking forward to hearing about these sprinting routines in detail.

sam_sneed is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M302_Imola View Post
    Nova looking forward to hearing about these sprinting routines in detail.
    Seconded............

me to lol. But having a high heart rate i believe for me i start burning muscle keeping it low is good i keep muscle and burn fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Hephens View Post
    me to lol. But having a high heart rate i believe for me i start burning muscle keeping it low is good i keep muscle and burn fat.
    I believe the key to fat burning is mixing up your cardio sessions. Maybe 2 steady state 65% MHR sessions with 2 HIIT sessions. The key to HIIT is to get your HR way up then drop it down, then way up and drop it back down, etc. The way to preserve muscle with HIIT sessions is to have carbs prior and after your session. Treat it like a workout.

mick86 is offline Member
    Interesting thread, I have been a little conflicted myself on the best system to use. Have been alternating steady rate and HIIT doing the Steady on an empty stomach but with a small amount of carbs (I read an article detailing why having at leas some carbs is better than none for dipping into you triglyceride stores) and doing the HIIT just like any workout, often after training often with food digested recently before hand. Tend to have a protine/carb shake after both types of cardio, especially when bulking during which I still aim for one session of each a week, 30mins for steady rate and 20 mins for HIIT.

Thats how Iv been approaching thins for anyone who is interested.

fairly simple as a metabolic lift. the benefits include increased fat burning, muscular endurance, and power. explosive power to be exact, greatly helping you in all athletics as very few require a steady pace like morning cardio.

here's what you do. you want to do this on an exercise bike. yes an exercise bike. you can do it on a treadmill or elliptical, but it works best on an exercise bike.

warm up for 5 minutes, and really warm up. this shouldn't be a stroll but it shouldn't feel like a battle.

****all after warmup***

day1, pedal for 2 minutes at 90% of your max heart rate. (to find your max heart rate simply take 220-(minus) your age. so for a 23 year old, 90% would be around 177bpm (beats per minute). after those two minutes do little...and i mean little... to no work... totally rest if you want to. do that for an entire minute. so one set would be pedaling for 2 minutes and resting for 1.

do 5 sets, and you're finished.

this helps you burn fat like sprinting, and it also helps your body manage its lactic acid buildup. managing this helps your muscular endurance, since "the burn" makes it harder for your muscles to contract. also, as any sprinting exercise, this helps with explosive power over periods similar to those in lifting.

do this on non-lifting days, and everyday progresses and becomes more difficult. it is also a 3 day a week split, optimal for HIT lovers and 4 day a week splitters. i will post up the rest of the days in this thread later. any questions hit me up.

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    fairly simple as a metabolic lift. the benefits include increased fat burning, muscular endurance, and power. explosive power to be exact, greatly helping you in all athletics as very few require a steady pace like morning cardio.

here's what you do. you want to do this on an exercise bike. yes an exercise bike. you can do it on a treadmill or elliptical, but it works best on an exercise bike.

warm up for 5 minutes, and really warm up. this shouldn't be a stroll but it shouldn't feel like a battle.

****all after warmup***

day1, pedal for 2 minutes at 90% of your max heart rate. (to find your max heart rate simply take 220-(minus) your age. so for a 23 year old, 90% would be around 177bpm (beats per minute). after those two minutes do little...and i mean little... to no work... totally rest if you want to. do that for an entire minute. so one set would be pedaling for 2 minutes and resting for 1.

this helps you burn fat like sprinting, and it also helps your body manage its lactic acid buildup. managing this helps your muscular endurance, since "the burn" makes it harder for your muscles to contract. also, as any sprinting exercise, this helps with explosive power over periods similar to those in lifting.

do this on non-lifting days, and everyday progresses and becomes more difficult. it is also a 3 day a week split, optimal for HIT lovers and 4 day a week splitters. i will post up the rest of the days in this thread later. any questions hit me up.
    How did you determine that the bike works best for this? Also, why 90% MHR? And why 5 sets?

Never done this myself but do my own style of interval cardio and find it exremely effective. Just curious as to how you developed this style.

I believe the key to fat burning is mixing up your cardio sessions. Maybe 2 steady state 65% MHR sessions with 2 HIIT sessions. The key to HIIT is to get your HR way up then drop it down, then way up and drop it back down, etc. The way to preserve muscle with HIIT sessions is to have carbs prior and after your session. Treat it like a workout.

Yeah thats what i do when i do cardio for example i'll walk than i'll run for like a min or 2 depending on where my heart rate is i'll get it up real high than i'll drop it dwn to walking again and so on. Sound good? Well i feel its working for me i'm losing fat and keeping muscle by doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Bino View Post
    How did you determine that the bike works best for this? Also, why 90% MHR? And why 5 sets?

Never done this myself but do my own style of interval cardio and find it exremely effective. Just curious as to how you developed this style.
    the bike is the equipment of choice because it concentrates movement on your legs. it was developed mainly for fat burning and athletic performance. so it concentrated on bursts of speed, which obviously center around the legs. i have begun to think that an elliptical may be a equally effective opion dude to the fact that you would be pulling with your entire body.

that is just day one. it starts at 90%, then day two is 95%, day three i believe is back to 90%. i can't remember totally off the top of my head, but week two i believe goes, 90%, 100%, 90%.

number of sets will begin to elevate in the later weeks (4-6), but starting out the "effective" number of sets is five, equaling 15 minutes.

lastly, i did not develop the program, and off the top of my head i can't remember the name of the guy/girl that did. i will post up later the rest of the detail.

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    the bike is the equipment of choice because it concentrates movement on your legs. it was developed mainly for fat burning and athletic performance. so it concentrated on bursts of speed, which obviously center around the legs. i have begun to think that an elliptical may be a equally effective opion dude to the fact that you would be pulling with your entire body.

that is just day one. it starts at 90%, then day two is 95%, day three i believe is back to 90%. i can't remember totally off the top of my head, but week two i believe goes, 90%, 100%, 90%.

number of sets will begin to elevate in the later weeks (4-6), but starting out the "effective" number of sets is five, equaling 15 minutes.

lastly, i did not develop the program, and off the top of my head i can't remember the name of the guy/girl that did. i will post up later the rest of the detail.
    Sounds cool man. I will give it a try sometime...I just hate the bike lol.

I do strongly believe in interval training though. I do mine on the treadmill, or outside. Although mine is all equal time "fast" and "slow."

I developed mine off of the routine of another bodybuilder who does it all outside. Goes to a soccer pitch and takes half the field. Walks down one sideline, turns at the centreline and runs across to the other sideline, than walks down it to the end of the pitch and runs across to the other side. So it is like a square and you run then walk etc down each side.

I dont do that exactly but a routine off of that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Hephens View Post
    Yeah thats what i do when i do cardio for example i'll walk than i'll run for like a min or 2 depending on where my heart rate is i'll get it up real high than i'll drop it dwn to walking again and so on. Sound good? Well i feel its working for me i'm losing fat and keeping muscle by doing this.
    cool man if it is working then stay with it.

****all after warmup***

Sounds like an awesome routine! Question, I am carb cycling right now consisting of a high, low, then no carb day, etc. Is this to intense for me to perform on my no carb day? Catabolism is the last thing I want. Thanks for you insight.

Sounds like an awesome routine! Question, I am carb cycling right now consisting of a high, low, then no carb day, etc. Is this to intense for me to perform on my no carb day? Catabolism is the last thing I want. Thanks for you insight.
    don't do it with no carb. i don't see it needing a PWO shake per se, but definitely done with carbs before and after. if you wanted to do it on a no carb day i would suggest eating fruit before and then going carbless after. but still i would warn against not replenishing those glycogen stores as eating any carbs afterwards would be completely for that purpose. you could then eliminate carbs from the rest of your day. and still..... i would never advocate a NO carb day. lower days for sure but never a no carb one.

don't do it with no carb. i don't see it needing a PWO shake per se, but definitely done with carbs before and after. if you wanted to do it on a no carb day i would suggest eating fruit before and then going carbless after. but still i would warn against not replenishing those glycogen stores as eating any carbs afterwards would be completely for that purpose. you could then eliminate carbs from the rest of your day. and still..... i would never advocate a NO carb day. lower days for sure but never a no carb one.
    Thanks for the helpful info bro!

Thread Information