956Vette is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

Arrow Treatment for Rosacea?

Melanotan II: Updates, Photos and Potential Treatment for Rosacea in the Near Future

Five years ago an intriguing substance called Melanotan came to my attention via a colleague at the University of Arizona School of Medicine. They were studying a Melanin Stimulating Hormone for the treatment of photosensitive skin disorders and prevention of skin cancer. In pilot studies on Lupus Erythematosus patients with central facial redness (the classic butterfly mask), Melanotan significantly reduced facial redness via camouflauge tan color and unknown anti-inflammatory actions of melanin. Most of these same patients did not burn to mild doses of UVA and UVB exposure. The results were excellent with few transient side effects.

Melanotan: Epidermal Thickening Agent

For 3 years studies on Melanotan I were primarily conducted at:

• The University of Arizona School of Medicine Cancer Center
    • The University of Arizona School of Medicine Department of Dermatology
    • The Mayo Clinic at Scottsdale Arizona

One of the most interesting findings demonstrated that after 3 months of treatment with Melanotan I, epidermal thickness increased significantly in all subjects. Histological studies on superficial biopsies and in vivo confocal microscopy demonstrated an increase in thickness from 107% (double the thickness) to 304%. This is noteworthy because the average thickness of the epidermis in facial skin is approximately 0.8 mm (15 sheets of paper in a pile). In rosacea sufferers the epidermis can be half that of normal subjects; thus doubling or tripling the thicknesss of the epidermis should be extremely beneficial to rosacea sufferers.

Melanotan II: All Studies Indicate that this Polypeptide will benefit Rosacea Patients

Melanotan progressed into Melanotan II and was then sold to an Australian based company (Epitan) and a US based drug delivery manufacturer (Clinuvel). It has passed multiple phase iII studies and is tentatively set for release in mid-2008. This will be utilized by many rosacea sufferers as it thickens the epidermis considerably (up to 300%), and has an anti-inflammatory effect throughout the epidermis and top portion of the dermis. Furthermore, it protects blood vessels and pain nerves via a much stronger and thicker epidermis -- this will lessen rosacea symptoms and triggers (Reference: " Papulosquamous skin dermatoses on dark skin" Hautarzt. 2002 Feb;53(2):126-9).

Melanotan II: Camouflauges Rosacea Symptoms

The cosmetic advantage will also play a role as it can hide a moderate flush underneath a medium to dark tan (Reference: "Skin of color may occlude rosacea's classic, clinical signs" Dermatologic Therapy March 1, 2005 ). This works in all types of skin down to the most porcelain white skin. As long as you have melanin it will make a substantial change in skin color.

New Insight into Melanotan II: Anti-inflammatory action and Antifibrogenic action

Rosacea is known to involve an inflammatory response via neutrophilic action. Rosacea also causes fibrosis in the dermis. Both of these negative actions are reversed while on Melanotan II:

J Invest Dermatol. 2006 Sep;126(9):1966-75

The melanocortin (MC) system is probably the best characterized neuropeptide network of the skin. Most cutaneous cell types express MC receptors (MC-Rs) and synthesize MCs, such as alpha-melanocyte-stimulating hormone (alpha-MSH), that act in autocrine and paracrine fashion.

The anti-inflammatory activity of alpha-MSH includes immunomodulatory effects on several resident skin cells and antifibrogenic effects mediated via MC-1R expressed by dermal fibroblasts.

Melanin Production and Rosacea:

One of the facial skin's main defensive mechanism is activated upon exposure to sunlight -- melanocytes produce melanin. The melanin fortifies every layer of the epidermis and stimulates at least two known anti-inflammatory substances. Production of melanin thickens the epidermis, absorbs light rays from the sun and absorbs heat from the external environment. Thus rosacea blood vessels and inflammed nerves will not "see" multiple insults as the epidermis will repel or absorb rosacea triggers. It is germane to note that rosacea sufferers are often caught in a catch 22 because they are told to avoid the sun and wear sunscreen (wise advice) .............. but, this results in a thinner, weaker epidermis. Melanotan II holds the potential to help fortify our main barrier, the stratum corneum, to many insults such as sun, heat, wind, cold and skin care products.

I have included two photos of a person using Melanotan II below:

Before Melanotan II Treatment -- Light Skin, Type II

After 16 days of Melanotan II Treatment: This Photo was taken 2 months after the final treatment. This person did not tan during the 2 months post treatment demonstrating the long acting effect of Melanotan II on Melanin production.

http://www.drnase.com/rosacea_hot_topics.htm#mel

RA
    RA is offline Grade A Beef
    Thanks for the info vette. I know 3 people including my wife that has it.

Tesla is offline Member
    This is great information. I have a mild case of it. You've got me wanting to try melanotan II now. Those before and after pics are impressive.

Kato is offline Member
    good info vette

i gotta say mII is lb for lb the best product i have ever taken as far as seein the results you want and expect.

Blog Entries
    My pleasure guys!

Been awhile Kato, hope all is well!

tvd220 is offline Member
    nothing I have ever tried help my roc. as much as melanotan!!!

Z12
    Z12 is offline Associate Member
    This is great! My face has always been prone to acne, and as I get older, more rosacea-like symptoms. I'm seriously considering trying it - this article is encouraging, but I might wait till it comes out as a perscription. I'm assuming the perscription version will be a pill, right?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Z12
    This is great! My face has always been prone to acne, and as I get older, more rosacea-like symptoms. I'm seriously considering trying it - this article is encouraging, but I might wait till it comes out as a perscription. I'm assuming the perscription version will be a pill, right?
    Doubtful it will be a pill...and it is years away from being scribed, especially in the states. Many research sites do make it available though

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    i love the MT2 .. but it gave me a very dark birth mark like thing on left pelvic region >< but its not BIRTHMAR color its just a blotch that looks WAY MORE TANNED than everywhere else >:[

Thread Information