Nstart is offline Associate Member

Took Keto (from AR-R) for the first time, physically felt like I was going to die

Last night I took 3mg of Keto (as a test for when I do my cutting cycle) to see how I react to the drug.

I took the drug, and about 2 hours later, I felt a sudden rush all over my entire body. It felt like someone took a giant pitch fork, whacked it against a large pole and then placed it on my entire body. Seconds later, I had difficulty breathing and my heart felt like to it was going pop out of my chest. I started to feel like I was going to black out, so I quickly laid down in my bed and it helped for a couple of seconds. But then everything started all over again. This time I actually passed out for I don't know how long. As soon as I woke up, my body again felt like someone took a giant pitch fork, whacked it against a large pole and then placed it on my entire body. My entire innards felt like they were shaking violently but the outside of my body was not. I tried to reach for the phone to call 911 but I passed out again.

I laid in bed and I felt almost parallelized. I wanted to get up, but I couldn't. I wanted to move my hand, but it felt like someone literally froze my body and I had no ability to perform anything I wanted to do (such as move my arm, lift my body, or even turn my head). I don't know how much time passed before I could actually move, but it felt like an eternity.

As soon as I was able to get up, the first thing that popped into my head was to check my blood pressure. It read 72/38 with a heart rate or 43. I took it two more times and had similar results.

Then literally in just a couple of seconds, my body seemed to relax, my blood pressure went to 107/51 (this is my normal blood pressure) and my heart rate went back into the 50s (also my normal).

I decided not to call 911 or to even go to the hospital. My mind was shooting blanks and I literally had to think about how to pee, drink from a cup, or even take off my socks.

What happened? Did I have an allergic reaction or are these some of the side-effects of Ketotifen? Suffice to say, I don't think I am ever going to take it again. I literally felt like I was going to die in my sleep. I was going to go to bed, and never wake up. Looking back, I wish I would have at least called my doctor, but my mind was literally shooting blanks.

I woke up this morning and felt fine. I run 7 miles each Sunday with 2 friends, and I did so today, like every other time.

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    bump, i've never heard of this, are you taking ANYTHING ELSE, supplement or whatever, let's start there and see if there might have been a drug interaction

Quote Originally Posted by phate186 View Post
    bump, i've never heard of this, are you taking ANYTHING ELSE, supplement or whatever, let's start there and see if there might have been a drug interaction
    Yes, Here is my list:

Daily Supplements That I have been taking for more then a year:
    Green Source Dietary Supplement Multivitamin
    Calcium Citrate (calcium + vitamin D, Magnesium, Zinc) - 500mg
    Flax Oil - 3000mg
    ***** 3 Fish Oil - 1000mg
    CoQ-10 - 100mg
    CarniPure L-Carnitine - 500mg
    DHEA - 50mg
    Alpha-Lipoic acid – 300mg
    Carnosine – 100mg
    Green Tea Extract – 500mg
    L-Arginine - 500mg
    Proscar/Propecia - 1mg

Before Bed (I have been on this for years):
    Melatonin - 3mg
    Unisom Sleep Gels - 50mg
    Tylenol PM Simply Sleep - 25mg

My doctor has approved of all of these and I have been on these for a while (over a year) with no problems.

My cycle history:
    12 weeks of Sustanon 250 @ 750mg per week

PCT:
    Clomid, Nolva, and Arimidex (Liquidex)
    Last edited by Nstart; 04-20-2008 at 08:31 PM.

kick6 is offline Banned
    At the time you took the keto had you also take the melatonin, and the tylenol pm and the unisom sleep gels?

EDIT: unisom sleep gels are benadryl. You shouldn't need the keto if you're taking unisom.

Correct. I took my nightly dosage of all 3, then around 30 minutes later I took the Keto.

The thing is, everyone says (backed by what I have read) says that Keto works much better then benadryl. So that's why I planned on using it.
    Last edited by Nstart; 04-20-2008 at 08:51 PM.

bigswole32 is offline Junior Member
    sounds like my dnp cycle. 2 weeks of straight hell. hot as hell. always sweaty. puddle of sweat when i sleep. wake up 10 times when i sleep. oh man oh man

kick6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nstart View Post
    Correct. I took my nightly dosage of all 3, then around 30 minutes later I took the Keto.

The thing is, everyone says (backed by what I have read) says that Keto works much better then benadryl. So that's why I planned on using it.
    It does, but thats a hell of a lot of sleep meds. I'm imagining you're having some funky interaction between the 4. Try dropping the unisom while taking the keto as keto will make you just as sleepy.

Quote Originally Posted by kick6 View Post
    It does, but thats a hell of a lot of sleep meds. I'm imagining you're having some funky interaction between the 4. Try dropping the unisom while taking the keto as keto will make you just as sleepy.
    Honestly, I am terrified of trying Keto again. I'm willing to do 2 weeks on and then one week off when I do my cutting cycle. It's mostly your diet anyway that dictates how much weight to lose anywhere. The thought of taking Keto again after what I experienced really scares me.

NATE0406 is offline Anabolic Member
    damn thats crazy bro. it could have been an alergic reaction but i will have to agree with kick6 i think it was just too many sleep aids. but i wouldnt chance it. just toss the keto and stick to benadryl.

Schmidty is offline Test Is Best!
    Were u laying down when he first attack happened? U might have actually been asleep and thought this was happening to u or u half wake up and think all this crazy stuffs really going on??? Benadryl does the same thing to me sum times. And i got a unkle whos brother is paralized from the waist down for the rest of his life from benadryl, he took 2benadryl and layed down to go to sleep, was dreaming while he was awake and jumped or fell out of a3rd story ballcony...

breakbones is offline Senior Member
    Sounds more like a Panic attack, happens to me many times.

Wavelover is offline Junior Member
    Ketotifen may increase the effects of sedatives, sleeping pills, antihistamines and alcohol.

Hi Bro,
    Most probably you had Severe Allergic Reaction (Anaphylactic Shock).

Severe Allergic Reaction Symptoms
    The symptoms of anaphylaxis can vary. In some people, the reaction begins very slowly, but in most the symptoms appear rapidly and abruptly.

The most severe and life-threatening symptoms are difficulty breathing and loss of consciousness.

Difficulty breathing is due to swelling and/or spasm in the airways (which can include swelling of the tongue or the airways). In very rare cases, breathing can stop altogether.

Loss of consciousness is due to dangerously low blood pressure, which is called "shock."

In the most serious cases, the heart can stop pumping altogether.

These events can lead to death from anaphylaxis.

Triggers of anaphylaxis include many substances. Only a trace amount of the trigger may be needed to cause a severe reaction. Triggers of allergic reactions, including anaphylaxis, may include:

Prescription and over-the-counter medications (see Drug allergy)

Venom of stinging insects such as yellow jackets, bumble bees, honey bees, wasps, fire ants (see Allergy: Stinging Insect Venom)

Foods, especially high-protein foods - most commonly, shellfish, fish, nuts, fruit, wheat, milk, eggs, soy products (see Food allergy)

Food additives, such as sulfites

Transfusion of blood or blood products

Numerous other substances such as latex (natural rubber)

Dyes and contrast materials used during radiologic procedures or tests

peteroy01 is offline Senior Member
    Unisom Sleep Gels - 50mg
    --both of those active ingredients are DIPHENHYDRAMINE. you are taking the same crap! 75mg of Diphenhydramine isnt unheard of but to take 3mg of another anti-histimine is just crazy. O and the melatonin is another sleep aid. if you would have died, people would of thought you were committing suicide. get off all that crap dude. i think i can actually say this and be correct, DRINK A BEER OR TO BEFORE GOING TO BED. it would be better for you.

nhl1 is offline Associate Member
    Well if the beer puts you to sleep I'd say go for it, but the problem with me as that while alcohol may put to sleep, it never keeps me asleep.

Personally it sounds like anaphylicitc (or however u spell it) shock.

But as a person whos had insomnia for years I can tell you that lucid dreams and sleep meds can do some wierd shit, but still ur bp and hr shouldnt be dropping that low, it was probably allergic reaction.

For sleep, if your doctor really is approving all of those, which if he is hes not a very good doctor, try a prescription sleep aid. I take xanax, and it works wonders.

.50 to 1.0 mg at night before bed does it for me. hypnotics and juice dont seem to go so well together. (ie lunesta, ambien, rozerem) try getting on a benzo, they are great for keeping anxiety in its place and for sleep.

Amorphic is offline Veritas, Aequitas ~
    Quote Originally Posted by breakbones View Post
    panic attacks are a result of 'catastrophic misinterpretation' where your misinterpret somatic symptoms (such as a fast heartrate) for something like a heart attack.

the fact his bloodpressure was incredibly low definetly says some kind of drug interation occured or reaction.

my advice is to NEVER take the keito again.

dude, probably not anaphylactic shock. where are you guys getting this from? anti-histamines STOP Anaphylactic Shock. when the body is allergic to a foreign body, your bodies OVER response makes to many histamines which cause the signs and symptoms of Anaphylactic shock(or any allergic reaction). you can take Anti-histamines, to stop the histamines, to stop the allergic reaction.

with your low BP and pulse, i would assume you took way way way too many downers. hence your altered mental status and passing out for an unknown amount of time. and what you said "seemed like a couple of seconds" could have been hours with your mental altered state. anyways. i bet if you tried Keto again without every over the counter medication you can buy, you would probably just chill out and go to sleep. but now your so sure that its the keto that you'll probably freak out anyways. the mind is a powerful thing. also sounds like your addicted to sleep aids. call that 1-800# on the back of the box.

(1*) is offline Member
    crazy ......

manoooo is offline New Member
    DUDE that is crazy!! thanks for sharing and glad to hear your alright!

kingwilliam is offline Associate Member
    My advice is to never take it again. Your description of what happened sounds like some kind of psychedelic trip off of Belladonna or Jimsonweed.

NEVER take it again. You need to ween yourself off all that sleep medication. That would scare the shit out of me.

Thank God your ok

Quote Originally Posted by peteroy01 View Post
    dude, probably not anaphylactic shock. where are you guys getting this from? anti-histamines STOP Anaphylactic Shock. when the body is allergic to a foreign body, your bodies OVER response makes to many histamines which cause the signs and symptoms of Anaphylactic shock(or any allergic reaction). you can take Anti-histamines, to stop the histamines, to stop the allergic reaction.

with your low BP and pulse, i would assume you took way way way too many downers. hence your altered mental status and passing out for an unknown amount of time. and what you said "seemed like a couple of seconds" could have been hours with your mental altered state. anyways. i bet if you tried Keto again without every over the counter medication you can buy, you would probably just chill out and go to sleep. but now your so sure that its the keto that you'll probably freak out anyways. the mind is a powerful thing. also sounds like your addicted to sleep aids. call that 1-800# on the back of the box.
    Dude,
    Let us know that the brand name of Ketotifen is Zaditen.
    Look at the warning on the leaflet quoted below :

BEFORE YOU USE ZADITEN

When you must not use it

Do not use zaditen if you have an allergy to :

*any medicine containing ketotifen
    * any of the ingredients listed at the end of this leaflet

Some of the symptoms of an allergic reaction may include shortness of breath, wheezing or difficulty breathing......etc.

Dude as far as I know any medicine is contra-indicated to those have hypersensitive to particular medicine.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
    Were u laying down when he first attack happened? U might have actually been asleep and thought this was happening to u or u half wake up and think all this crazy stuffs really going on??? Benadryl does the same thing to me sum times. And i got a unkle whos brother is paralized from the waist down for the rest of his life from benadryl, he took 2benadryl and layed down to go to sleep, was dreaming while he was awake and jumped or fell out of a3rd story ballcony...
    I was not laying down when it first started. When I sensed something was wrong, I immediately laid down on my bed, put my arms and legs out and began to breathe deeply and slowly. I am 100% sure I did not fall asleep because I began to feel very dizzy, and my vision become cloudy and then it started to go black.

Sorry to hear about your uncle.

Quote Originally Posted by breakbones View Post
    I know what a panic attack feels like and what I also had a Vasovagal Syncope when a doctor was marking me up for surgery (this happened twice right before both surgeries). This felt NOTHING like these two things at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelover View Post
    Hi Bro,
    Most probably you had Severe Allergic Reaction (Anaphylactic Shock).

Severe Allergic Reaction Symptoms
    The symptoms of anaphylaxis can vary. In some people, the reaction begins very slowly, but in most the symptoms appear rapidly and abruptly.

The most severe and life-threatening symptoms are difficulty breathing and loss of consciousness.

Difficulty breathing is due to swelling and/or spasm in the airways (which can include swelling of the tongue or the airways). In very rare cases, breathing can stop altogether.

Loss of consciousness is due to dangerously low blood pressure, which is called "shock."

In the most serious cases, the heart can stop pumping altogether.

These events can lead to death from anaphylaxis.

Triggers of anaphylaxis include many substances. Only a trace amount of the trigger may be needed to cause a severe reaction. Triggers of allergic reactions, including anaphylaxis, may include:

Prescription and over-the-counter medications (see Drug allergy)

Venom of stinging insects such as yellow jackets, bumble bees, honey bees, wasps, fire ants (see Allergy: Stinging Insect Venom)

Foods, especially high-protein foods - most commonly, shellfish, fish, nuts, fruit, wheat, milk, eggs, soy products (see Food allergy)

Food additives, such as sulfites

Transfusion of blood or blood products

Numerous other substances such as latex (natural rubber)

Dyes and contrast materials used during radiologic procedures or tests
    Wow, thank you. Thinking back, I did have a harder time swallowing water when I tried to get a drink.

Unisom Sleep Gels - 50mg
    --both of those active ingredients are DIPHENHYDRAMINE. you are taking the same crap! 75mg of Diphenhydramine isnt unheard of but to take 3mg of another anti-histimine is just crazy. O and the melatonin is another sleep aid. if you would have died, people would of thought you were committing suicide. get off all that crap dude. i think i can actually say this and be correct, DRINK A BEER OR TO BEFORE GOING TO BED. it would be better for you.
    My doctor placed me on ambien 10mg a while ago and that worked really well for about 3 months before it lost it's ability to work well. At the start it literally knocked me out, but after a couple of weeks, the effect become very weak.

I take a 50mg sleep gel and a 25mg one before that is the least amount I need. Why take 100mg if I only need 75mg to put me to sleep. For some reason why body doesn't become used to taking this dosage and is still able to put me to sleep.

My doctor is well aware of me taking these sleep aids and recommends them over any prescription sleep aid out there. I've always had difficulty sleeping even when I was a little kid. I can get 2 hours of sleep, and then stay up for 24 hours. My body want to go to sleep but my mind won't let me.

Quote Originally Posted by nhl1 View Post
    Well if the beer puts you to sleep I'd say go for it, but the problem with me as that while alcohol may put to sleep, it never keeps me asleep.

Personally it sounds like anaphylicitc (or however u spell it) shock.

But as a person whos had insomnia for years I can tell you that lucid dreams and sleep meds can do some wierd shit, but still ur bp and hr shouldnt be dropping that low, it was probably allergic reaction.

For sleep, if your doctor really is approving all of those, which if he is hes not a very good doctor, try a prescription sleep aid. I take xanax, and it works wonders.

.50 to 1.0 mg at night before bed does it for me. hypnotics and juice dont seem to go so well together. (ie lunesta, ambien, rozerem) try getting on a benzo, they are great for keeping anxiety in its place and for sleep.
    My doctor is very good, regardless of what you say. We tried a prescription sleep aid before (ambien) and the effectiveness wore off quickly (as I stated in a previous post). For some reason why body keeps reacting the same way when I take benadryl my body reacts the same way, and the results have not diminished.

Quote Originally Posted by Amorphic View Post
    panic attacks are a result of 'catastrophic misinterpretation' where your misinterpret somatic symptoms (such as a fast heartrate) for something like a heart attack.

the fact his bloodpressure was incredibly low definetly says some kind of drug interation occured or reaction.

my advice is to NEVER take the keito again.
    Yep, I don't think I will ever touch Keto again. EVER!

When I take my 3 sleep aids, each night, it makes me feel tired about 1 hour after taking them. I don't just pass out or start dreaming about unicorns and leprechauns. It allows me to fall sleep most of the time and my dreams are very typical (women, cars, friends, family, events that happened, etc...)

well if you want to save some $$$$$$, get the off brand benedryl. each pill is 25mg of DIPHENHYDRAMINE. you dont have to buy the Tylenol PM and Unisom since both active ingredients are Diphenhydramine.

Waveloader-every medicaition had to put that on their label for liability purposes. you can be allergic to Benadryl but not Diphenhydramine. the allergy could come from the cutter/filler in the cap, or the material that makes the cap. see what im getting at?

I looked for the off-brand version at Rite-aid and Walgreens but it wasn't much less. Where do you buy off-brand benedryl?

bump, is the product in the previous post exactly what I am looking for?

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    that would work or if you have a big lots store they have off brand benedryl call "Allergy Remedy" or something like that that like 25 25mg pills for 1$

Quote Originally Posted by phate186 View Post
    that would work or if you have a big lots store they have off brand benedryl call "Allergy Remedy" or something like that that like 25 25mg pills for 1$
    The closest one is like 27 miles away (according to their site).

I guess I'll just order the 1000 capsules and then one day if I am in the area go to big lots and pick up the 25mg ones. This way I can take my 75mg dosages each night and not have to spend so much money on unisom sleep gels (they are expensive).

Thanks phate186!

nhl1 is offline Associate Member
    I can get 2 hours of sleep, and then stay up for 24 hours. My body want to go to sleep but my mind won't let me.

If this is the case your body isnt where the problem is. It is your mind. Not being able to shutdown your head at the end of the day is a sign of anxiety. You need anxiety medication, not sleep aids.

Xanax, Valium, Klonozapan

Ask your doctor for a sample 10 day sample, they are better than anything out there.

Thread Information