JAYROD is offline Senior Member

5 best qb's i've seen

i really like abbot's thread about running backs so i thought i'd start another about nfl quarterbacks. i'm only picking 5 and they are all players i've watched many times in my lifetime.

1. john elway
    2. joe montana
    3. dan marino
    4. tom brady
    5. troy aikman (hey, i'm a cowboys fan)

i have peyton manning, brett farve and steve young next in line.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    1. Joe Montana
    2. John Elway
    3. Dan Marino
    4. Warren Moon
    5. Tom Brady

WARMachine is offline Post Cycle Extraordinaire~GOT PCT?
    1) Brett Favre
    2) John Elway
    3) Joe Montana
    4) Dan Marino
    5) Tom Brady

abbot138 is offline Anabolic Member
    Ouuchhhhh.....Well seeing as how John Elway ruined my childhood (see AFC Championships '86, '87, '89) you will not find him anywhere near my list, sorry.

1.)Joe Montana
    2.)Brett Favre
    3.)Dan Marino
    4.)Tom Brady
    5.)Troy Aikmen

A quarterbacks job is to win. IMO 90% of what makes a great quarterback is winning (hence Aikmen being 5), but when a guy has numbers like Marino, you just cant deny them................I would also have Manning and Young next....like I said Elway can suck my dick, lol.......True story, went to Denver with the Browns backers for a Broncos/Browns game about 5 years ago, wore a t-shirt the entire weekend that said "FVCK JOHN ELWAY!"....it was not very popular.

testigator is offline Junior Member
    Elway
    Montana
    Brady
    Marino
    Favre

I loved Dan Fouts and the Air attack SD but they didn't win enough. Marino's body of work is too good to pass on -pun intended- even though he didn't win the big one.

Brown Ninja is offline Anabolic Member
    How can everyone leave off Peyton Manning? He is by far the most amazing quaterback I have witnessed play football. He is so intelligent and has a rocket for an arm. I think he will dominate the record books by the time it is all said and done and will have added several more Super Bowls.

Iced696 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown Ninja View Post
    How can everyone leave off Peyton Manning? He is by far the most amazing quaterback I have witnessed play football. He is so intelligent and has a rocket for an arm. I think he will dominate the record books by the time it is all said and done and will have added several more Super Bowls.

I agree. The problem with lists like this is there are to many variables. Superbowl wins, stats, and personal opinions are always going to factor into someones picks. And in most cases, personal opinions make up to big a piece of the pie.

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    1-Marino
    2-Elway
    3-Montana
    4-Manning
    5-Fouts

Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy1 View Post
    1-Marino
    2-Elway
    3-Montana
    4-Manning
    5-Fouts

Fouts... It seems that not many people remember the absurd numbers he used to put up in a game. A team would have to put up 50 points in a game to keep up. The only problem was, their "D" was so bad there were numerous teams that could.

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by Iced696 View Post
    Fouts... It seems that not many people remember the absurd numbers he used to put up in a game. A team would have to put up 50 points in a game to keep up. The only problem was, their "D" was so bad there were numerous teams that could.
    Same thing for Marino. Had either of them had a defense and/or running game they would both have numerous rings on their fingers.

Brown Ninja is offline Anabolic Member
    I think that we are pretty lucky to get to see two of the very best EVER in Manning and Brady! Its amazing to think by the time that its all said and done that they could realistically be one and two on just about every list. Thank god its football season!

Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy1 View Post
    Same thing for Marino. Had either of them had a defense and/or running game they would both have numerous rings on their fingers.

Very true. It's to bad that a lot of people are so blind that they won't even consider a QB into the mix unless they have superbowl rings. If you look at the numbers, both Fouts and Marino have stats as good as almost any of the QB's people will rate into the top 10. There is SO much more to a QB. Do people say Sanders is any less of a running back because the Lions were a bad team while he was there and he never got a ring? Or, is Favre any less of a QB then Brady because he has two less Superbowl rings? That whole mindset is VERY narrow minded. If you look at the reality of it, 3 teams have won 15 of the superbowls, SF, Dallas and Pittsburgh. Of those teams each has more than one QB that have won those rings. That also leaves a lot of GB's that do have superbowl rings that nobody even mentions. Truth be told, superbowl rings have very little to do with the quality of a QB. And like it or not, Brady's legacy will forever be attached to Spygate for most football fans. Hell 75% of the country wanted the Patriots to lose the last superbowl. I would never take Brady off the list of the top 5 because he deserves to be there. But, a lot people don't think that way. And Manning is starting to look pretty mediocre as his team starts to fall apart around him.

Bottom line, and as I've always said, these lists are nothing but opinions.
    Last edited by Iced696; 10-08-2008 at 11:09 AM.

abbot138 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown Ninja View Post
    Hollly Shiiit, I did forget Manning, wow! Ok Im re-doing mine

1.) Montana
    2.) Marino
    3.) Manning
    4.) Brady
    5.) Favre

Thread Information