**TOP** is offline Senior Member

Possibly a new take on post workout nutrition

Ok ive seen this before but just ran across it again being published in a Powerlifting USA magazine,Its saying that post workout carbs are counter productive!This guy comes very highly accredited,hes not just some bozo off the street! Read this if you will and lets here what you think??

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/md92.htm

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    I have been preaching this for awhile. Glad someone else agrees with me.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

To me it makes sense! But every where you look people are forcefeeding post workout sugar!!!! But like i always say science changes everyday!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by topherhinton View Post
    To me it makes sense! But every where you look people are forcefeeding post workout sugar!!!! But like i always say science changes everyday!!!
    Kinda, a study may come out every now and then that raises the possibility of a change in the consensus. However unless there is a glaringly new and break through discovery. Rarely does the consensus change in science. The body of evidence is weighed much more heavily than a single study, unless it is a revolutionary piece of work, and this has to be reproduced and studied further before the body of evidence shifts.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

BG

OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

Tips For Young Lifters

So what do you say cut out the white potato and half a banana post workout! lol

SuperLift is offline Senior Member
    Im not sure if i can believe this... I guess ill never know because ill never be running the study myself!

either way prolly wouldnt make a huge difference

diamond is offline Female Member
    thank god.. i was completely wondering about that!!! thank-you!!!!
    i was looking for sum ppl perspective on that..

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    i have being training for about 10-12 years now and have never had simple sugar meal for post workout.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diamond View Post
    thank god.. i was completely wondering about that!!! thank-you!!!!
    i was looking for sum ppl perspective on that..
    This is an excerpt from my Q@A thread. I have wrote about this subject a few times on this board. I believe I have a couple other post in that thread on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    Actually i did until recently, I started researching low carb diets and doing pwo, protein only. I read a couple of really good studies that looked at protein synthesis PWO with carbs + protein ingestion vs carb only or protein only or control. In both studies protein synthesis pwo was not significantly different in the protein+carbs vs the protein only group. I wish I could find the studies i am not sure were I put them. I think it was in ACSM's journal MSSE in the may or june edition. I can not remember I read so many papers throughout the week Its hard to remember were i got them all. I will see if I have them in my endnote file if you really want them.

Anyway what brought me to those papers is there is an effect called after burn where the body is in a fat burning mode to make up for the O2 debt and the effect of adrenaline post exercise. It has been know for sometime that for about 2 hours after exercise the metabolism is raised and a larger percentage of fat calories are being use to generate ATP for growth and repair and other energy needs. However as soon as insulin hits fat and muscle cells it virtually cancels the effects of adrenaline and causes a virtual shut down on fat burning. The reason for this is that insulin and adrenaline have an inhibitory effect on each other in the intracellular second messenger systems. (AC, PP-1, IP3 and probable some others I cant think of right now)
    Last edited by MuscleScience; 10-03-2009 at 09:56 PM. Reason: edited to save on confusion.

BG

OB

BG

Tips For Young Lifters

diamond is offline Female Member
    nice! thanx havent cum across that yet. thank you for postin it again

NutriLyf is offline New Member
    I like this...so you suggest PWO sugars not beneficial?

chubbsub is offline Junior Member
    after weights, I think the 2:1 ratio is the problem/issue....too many carbs at once

energizer bunny is offline Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference
    Interesting.........adding more confusion to the best way to recover.......

heres a read for the use of carbs and protein....http://www.poweringmuscles.com/article.php?id=55

POPS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chubbsub View Post
    after weights, I think the 2:1 ratio is the problem/issue....too many carbs at once
    I agree! Im carb sensitive so I do the reverse. Been working out for me so far so Ill leave it alone for awhile.

Thread Information