Hsheer is offline Junior Member

Building Muscle with food (Workout)

This thread is related to the thread posted earlier in the Diet section.

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread.php?t=443750

Workout routine:

Sun: Chest/Bi/20 min walking
    Mon: Legs/abs/20 min Cycling
    Tue: off
    Wed: Back/Tri/20 min swimming
    Thu: Shoulders/Traps/abs/20 min Cycling
    Fri: off
    Sat: off

Chest:
    Barbell Bench Press 12/10/8/6
    incline Barbell press 12/10/8
    machine chest Flye 10/10/10
    cable crossover 12/10/10

Biceps:
    Barbell bi curl 10/8/8
    dumbell Curl 8/8/8
    Concentration dumbell curl 8/8/8

Legs:
    Squat/Leg Press 12/10/8/6
    leg extension 10/10/10
    leg curl 10/10/10
    Calf raises 10/10/10

Back:
    Chinup 8/8 (This is my mximum reps)
    Lat Pulldown 10/8
    Cable seated low row 10/10/8
    T-bar 8/8/8
    dead lift 12/10/10

Tri:
    overhead bar press 10/8/8
    cable pushdown 8/8/8
    weighted bench dip 10/8/8

Shoulders:
    bar behind neck press 10/8/8/6
    lateral raise 10/10/10
    front raise 10/10/10
    machine rear raise 10/10/10

Traps:
    upright row or shrugs 10/10/10/8

abs:
    weighted hanging leg raise 12/12/10
    weighted crunches 12/12/10
    machine full abdominal crunch 12/12/10
    kneeling cable crunch 12/12/12
    side bend 12/12/12

Please comment

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Chest volume is too high in comparison to legs

Abs is too much

Train hard and you dont need much volume

Quote Originally Posted by baseline_9 View Post
    Chest volume is too high in comparison to legs

Abs is too much

Train hard and you dont need much volume
    by volume do you mean excersices, set or reps ?? and how much is recommended ?

Dan111 is offline Associate Member
    For chest I would replace the cable crossovers with dips (with or without weight, it depends on how many you can do without weight, but make sure you're leaning forward to put emphasis on the lower chest)

For biceps I would replace concentration curls with hammer curls (that's just my personal opinion as I never got much out of concentration curls, but if it's working for you, stick to it)

For shoulders I wouldn't do military press behind the neck as I feel the risk of injury outweighs any benefit from executing the exercise in that manor. Just stick to regular military press or use DB's (once again that's just my opinion)

Overall I think it's pretty good. Some people will say the volume is too high, but everyone reacts differently to weights and everyone has a different opinion on what to do.

So try doing that routine for awhile and as it goes along you'll notice exercises that aren't doing much for you and you can replace them with something else. Good luck.
    Last edited by Dan111; 08-30-2010 at 08:04 AM. Reason: grammar

bigz1017 is offline New Member
    i have a feeling that you may not be able to maximize your triceps, but thats just me. just like dan said try it out and if by the end of the workout you feel like you could have done better or something differently then make a few changes. but also you cant start doing all the exersizes you like because then when it comes time to change your routine you will not be able to find exersizes, thats why they recomend a certain amount of sets and exersizes. nobody can tell you what to do, your body is like a fingerprint everybody is different

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsheer View Post
    by volume do you mean excersices, set or reps ?? and how much is recommended ?
    I mean total sets.

13 sets for chest (consisting of only chest)

13 sets for Legs (consisting of Quads Hams and Calves)

See what I mean?

In not going to reccomend training volumed as its personal

I prefer Low Volume High Intensity

Thank you all for your replies, i'll try this one first after that i'll do some adjustments.

what do you think if i played soccer once or twice a week and do 100 rope skip in the morning. do you think it will be to much since my goal is to add some weight from muscle mass ?

bigz1017 is offline New Member
    what do you think if i played soccer once or twice a week and do 100 rope skip in the morning. do you think it will be to much since my goal is to add some weight from muscle mass ?
    if your goal is to add mass you are gonna have to change your sets and reps unless you are cycling because high reps dont do dick if you are natural, soccer is pretty good for cardio but you should limit it because usually you have to compensate for those lost calories but hey you can get a pretty good workout, 100 rope skips arent really gonna do anything. there is one way of getting big, working out with heavy ass weight keeping sets high (5-6 or even higher) and reps low (1-6) and eating literally until you feel like you are gonna puke, im not talkign about full stomach im talking about the real thing. personally by the end of the day by meal 6 and 7 i am almost always rushing to the toilet because i feel like i am about to puke

high sets with very low reps under 6 .. i think this for strength not mass ?? as per workout articles reps should be between 8 and 10 mass ?

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    This thread is related to the thread posted earlier in the Diet section.

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread.php?t=443750

Workout routine:

Sun: Chest/Bi/20 min walking
    Mon: Legs/abs/20 min Cycling
    Tue: off
    Wed: Back/Tri/20 min swimming
    Thu: Shoulders/Traps/abs/20 min Cycling
    Fri: off
    Sat: off

Chest:
    Barbell Bench Press 12/10/8/6
    incline Barbell press 12/10/8
    machine chest Flye 10/10/10
    cable crossover 12/10/10

I'd drop cable crossover and machine fly's. Add weighted dips or decline press (db or bb) - in fact, i'd rotate those 2 every other week. If you want to keep fly's, switch to db

Biceps:
    Barbell bi curl 10/8/8
    dumbell Curl 8/8/8
    Concentration dumbell curl 8/8/8

9 sets for bi's is perfect IMO

Legs:
    Squat/Leg Press 12/10/8/6
    leg extension 10/10/10
    leg curl 10/10/10
    Calf raises 10/10/10

Consider rotating leg curls with SLDL every other week. Add at least 1 more set to calf raises. Also, alternate your squat each week - i.e. standard squat, front squat, hack squat, close stance squat, etc

Back:
    Chinup 8/8 (This is my mximum reps)
    Lat Pulldown 10/8
    Cable seated low row 10/10/8
    T-bar 8/8/8
    dead lift 12/10/10

I'd do weighted pullups instead of chins - with chins you'll hit bi's again too soon IMO. Do wide grip pull ups, and closer grip lat pull down. Try to swap T-bar row with a real bent over barbell row - great mass builder. Good that you have the DL in there

Tri:
    cable pushdown 8/8/8

I'd add a close grip bench press - great compound exercise. With dips, make sure you are staying vertical and not leaning forward to ensure you're hitting mostly tri's and less chest

Shoulders:
    bar behind neck press 10/8/8/6
    lateral raise 10/10/10
    front raise 10/10/10
    machine rear raise 10/10/10

I like DB's better then BB for shoulders, but your call. Either way I wouldn't go behind the neck, no added benefit but added risk of injury.

Traps:
    upright row or shrugs 10/10/10/8

Not OR, do both. Consider swapping one or the other with face pulls from time to time

abs:
    weighted hanging leg raise 12/12/10
    weighted crunches 12/12/10
    machine full abdominal crunch 12/12/10
    kneeling cable crunch 12/12/12
    side bend 12/12/12

I must admit I rarely do abs, lol so I won't comment here!

Please comment
    Critique above in bold. Overall not a bad routine IMO, but your reps are kind of random. I'd stick with alternating heavier and lighter weeks - i.e. week 1 8-12 reps, week 2 4-7, and so on.

Thank you very much, it's a very constructive comments and make a lot of sense i really like it.

there just one question ?

Tri:
    cable pushdown 8/8/8

I'd add a close grip bench press - great compound exercise. With dips, make sure you are staying vertical and not leaning forward to ensure you're hitting mostly tri's and less chest
    Do you mean that i should add one more exercise ? like 12 sets total ?

Thank you very much, it's a very constructive comments and make a lot of sense i really like it.

there just one question ?

Do you mean that i should add one more exercise ? like 12 sets total ?
    You could, I don't think 12 sets would hurt, but personally i'd probably replace the pushdown with the press, it's a way better exercise IMO.

sean_holland is offline Associate Member
    1. I think you have too many sets in there. I can go through a workout in 45min with a good 2.5min rest in between my sets in 45min. I would go with 10-12 sets and maximize your effort and not your time spent.

2. Don't listen to the guy saying you need to go low reps and eat everything until you puke as advice to get big. Low reps are for strength training, and 1-2 rep ranges can be done poorly with or without a spotter and can lead to injury. If you are looking to body build I find the best rep range between 8-12, with my first set being a 6 rep set with a heavier weight.

3. Go and read the WHOLE 'sling shot' training post. Its great and works very, very well.

Quote Originally Posted by bigz1017 View Post
    if your goal is to add mass you are gonna have to change your sets and reps unless you are cycling because high reps dont do dick if you are natural, soccer is pretty good for cardio but you should limit it because usually you have to compensate for those lost calories but hey you can get a pretty good workout, 100 rope skips arent really gonna do anything. there is one way of getting big, working out with heavy ass weight keeping sets high (5-6 or even higher) and reps low (1-6) and eating literally until you feel like you are gonna puke, im not talkign about full stomach im talking about the real thing. personally by the end of the day by meal 6 and 7 i am almost always rushing to the toilet because i feel like i am about to puke
    This is real bad advice...

I eat 6 meals a day, well into 300g of protein and I don't ever feel like that. I would really like to see your 'Mass Building - Low Rep Training' & binge eating breakdowns.

But when someone who can't even use spell check to post before they are giving someone advice on their health speaks, I'd hope the masses tend to ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by sean_holland View Post
    This is real bad advice...

I eat 6 meals a day, well into 300g of protein and I don't ever feel like that. I would really like to see your 'Mass Building - Low Rep Training' & binge eating breakdowns.

But when someone who can't even use spell check to post before they are giving someone advice on their health speaks, I'd hope the masses tend to ignore it.
    ^^ x2

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    You could, I don't think 12 sets would hurt, but personally i'd probably replace the pushdown with the press, it's a way better exercise IMO.
    thank you very much gbrice, I thought that pushdown is a must in triceps training. I do really like the press excersice

Quote Originally Posted by sean_holland View Post
    1. I think you have too many sets in there. I can go through a workout in 45min with a good 2.5min rest in between my sets in 45min. I would go with 10-12 sets and maximize your effort and not your time spent.

2. Don't listen to the guy saying you need to go low reps and eat everything until you puke as advice to get big. Low reps are for strength training, and 1-2 rep ranges can be done poorly with or without a spotter and can lead to injury. If you are looking to body build I find the best rep range between 8-12, with my first set being a 6 rep set with a heavier weight.

3. Go and read the WHOLE 'sling shot' training post. Its great and works very, very well.
    I'm already heading to the link you have provided, How many sets do you recommend ?

And let me tell you something that will make you laugh, all of the trainers here in kuwait (not only my gym) and they are all foreigners (mostly from Philipin) they are telling me that this routine is useless and made up for fitness only not bodybuilding

as per their opinion .. i should train each muscle twice a week with atleast six excercises of 3 sets.

for example:

Chest/Bi
    shoulders/tri
    back/traps
    off
    repeat

and the nearest routine to what i'm seeing here is

Chest
    Shoulder/Trap
    Back
    Legs
    arms
    off
    repeat

and as i said atleast 6 excersices for each muscle, But the problem is that they are big so somtimes you think that they maybe be right and you are doing something wrong !

thank you very much gbrice, I thought that pushdown is a must in triceps training. I do really like the press excersice
    no problem bro, and IMO the tricep pushdown is most definitely NOT a must to build good tri's.

The 'musts' in triceps training I feel are Skull Crushers, but they can be very tough on the tendons of your elbows, both interior and exterior. I do them, but they cause me tendon pain....so you have to weigh what is more important to you. Trust me elbow pain is no picnic and if you don't have it, I would avoid it.

I train 5 days a week, and because I train to failure and train compound free weight exercises with maximum expenditure in a 10-12 set range I only train muscle groups once a week. I like to give my muscles ample recovery time before assaulting them again.

I have a 5 day on 2 day off split every week. Tuesdays and Saturdays are my off days from the gym.

Thread Information