BUBBA74 is offline Senior Member

Obesity In Pro Football

Check this out! Study finds more pro football players are obese these days.

Click here for the article.

http://articles.health.msn.com/id/100100887/?GT1=6203

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    most of the people on this board is considered fat or obese if going by bmi as they aperently did in that article. Total bull****.,

BDTR is offline Retired
    Yes, BMI is bull****, however many pro ballers are VERY obese. Then again, the weight helps them, but it's not healthy. Have you ever looked at a retired lineman? Doesn't look too pretty. Keeps eating the same way but doesn't stay active.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by bdtr
    Yes, BMI is bull****, however many pro ballers are VERY obese. Then again, the weight helps them, but it's not healthy. Have you ever looked at a retired lineman? Doesn't look too pretty. Keeps eating the same way but doesn't stay active.
    Nah there isnt any american football on tv in sweden unfortunaly Would love to se it. Only thing we have here is pussy soccer and crap hocky.

The article has such a negative approach. I bet a 350 ibs half muscle/half fat lineman is 100% more healthy then a regular 280ibs obese couch potatoe.

What I dont understand is why do they get that big. Does it realy help them that much? Im guessing a lineman doesnt have to run much at all

BUBBA74 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    What I dont understand is why do they get that big. Does it realy help them that much? Im guessing a lineman doesnt have to run much at all
    Smarts+SIZE+Feet+Strength=A good linemen

A linemen needs to be able to move quick and agile for about 10-15 yards to make there blocks on offense or make the play on defense (Stop the ball carrier). As far as size goes its alot easier to fill a gap (defense) or create a gap (offense) when your 6'4 320lbs.
    Last edited by BUBBA74; 03-04-2005 at 05:59 AM.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Quote Originally Posted by bdtr
    Doesn't look too pretty. Keeps eating the same way but doesn't stay active.
    Very true. A lineman needs the weight to make it in the NFL...it's all about size and strength. They get used to eating a ton of foods to gain weight, and with all the exercise they get, even though they are obese according to the BMI, they are by far much healthier than they look. The problem comes when they retire and continue to eat in their normal fashion but the exercise is dropped and the pounds just keep on coming. One of the lineman here for the Buc retired three years back and he weighted 280 pounds at that time. After noticing how much larger he was getting and the fact his health was going he dropped a lot of weight....best thing he could have ever done. He could see the writing on the wall....whish I could remember his ****ed name!

redmeat is offline Senior Member
    If 6'0", 220 lbs is obese, than I guess that includes a bunch of tailbacks and linebackers with single digit bodyfat %.

3Vandoo is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    bring me any NFL 400lbs OBESE OL, and they are more active and in shape than 99% of the fat couch potato coors drinking mcdonalds american rednecks!

dans is offline Junior Member
    yeah BMI is a BS measurement

Thread Information