Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bOnDs !!!

$uperman is offline Member

bOnDs !!!

seems like barry bonds is starting just where he left off. he finished last season with 73 homeruns and he already has four in his first two games of the season. barry is simply amazing , one of the best swings you'll ever see.

Canes4Ever is offline Banned

Re: bOnDs !!!

Originally posted by $uperman
    seems like barry bonds is starting just where he left off. he finished last season with 73 homeruns and he already has four in his first two games of the season. barry is simply amazing , one of the best swings you'll ever see.
    I hate him; he's smug, cocky and so obviously *in-love* with himself.

Can't deny it though, he's an amazing athlete.

Just wish he wasn't such an asshole to fans and media alike.

Neo
    Neo is offline Senior Member

Re: Re: bOnDs !!!

Originally posted by Canes4Ever

Can't deny it though, he's an amazing athlete.

Gotta agree with Canes on this one. Barry has been a giant ass. He is a great athlete, but he also needs to realize that baseball is just a game that is nothing without its fans.

asshole or no asshole.... the dude can rip the ball like a mofo. not saying i like his personality but i do respect the guys talent

Neo
    Neo is offline Senior Member
    Absolutely....He's a great athlete!!!!

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    Somebody needs to throw a few fastballs at his head or all we'll be hearing this season is homerun hype! I'd much rather see a race for .400 or a pitching record, but that doesn't look too likely.

yeah your right... i cant believe how many homeruns have been hit so far. not just bonds , they have some guys with three homeruns in two games. i really think pitchers will watching alotta ballz leave the park

ibiza69 is offline Senior Member
    if he continues at this rate (2 homer games) he will be on pace for 214 homeruns, so that means he will break his home run reacord by early june. just a stat there.

KeyMastur is offline VET

Re: Re: bOnDs !!!

He is that way, but look at it this way - if you were that famous, and had the media watch your every move, and fans yellin

"sign this"
    "barry, over here"
    "barry you suck - that was mcgwire's record"
    "barry, can i have a ball"

then you'd want them off your back as well and be a little testy with everyone. fans follow you everywhere - at the ballpark every hour of the day just to get his autograph - basically appear like stalkers. they just won't leave him alone.

Vegas Kid is offline Senior Member
    Maybe if he would take all that body armor off, he wouldn't be leaning right over the plate. I thought the major league got rid of that garbage. It doesn't give the pitcher anywhere to pitch and BBonds doesn't have to worry about getting hit. He's a piece of shit!!

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Originally posted by Vegas Kid
    Maybe if he would take all that body armor off, he wouldn't be leaning right over the plate. I thought the major league got rid of that garbage. It doesn't give the pitcher anywhere to pitch and BBonds doesn't have to worry about getting hit. He's a piece of shit!!
    they didn't get rid of it, they limited it to how long it can be.

please explain why he is a piece of shit...

9natural9 is offline Banned
    Every great athlete, or achievement as a matter of fact, has to have a driving force behind it....in Barry Bonds case, I believe it is the chip on his shoulder and the "me against the world" attitude that drives him to be the amazing ball player he is.

The media has a funny and manipulating way to help form opinions of the fans by leading them with a negative slant towards certain athletes that rebel against the media.

Unless we know him personally, I don't think anyone can judge his charecter off the field. If history holds true then some said Ty Cobb was the biggest prick in his time as well, but either way you cant take away the fact Barry smashed 73 homeruns last season, and is consistently a heavy hitter. He is a Hall Of Famer, no doubt, but I am willing to bet my right arm that "they" will postpone his induction for as long as possible...what a fucking shame...the man goes to work on a baseball diamond and does his job remarkably...it shoudn't matter if he signs 1 or 1 trillion autographs...what a cop out to those who are being led by the machine....it's sad really!!!

Originally posted by EXCESS
    Somebody needs to throw a few fastballs at his head or all we'll be hearing this season is homerun hype! I'd much rather see a race for .400 or a pitching record, but that doesn't look too likely.
    Yeah, it's part of the syndrome of how the game has changed, and for me, that's not for the better. The game is one of finesse when played purely, not of power.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Originally posted by 9natural9
    Every great athlete, or achievement as a matter of fact, has to have a driving force behind it....in Barry Bonds case, I believe it is the chip on his shoulder and the "me against the world" attitude that drives him to be the amazing ball player he is.
    I believe it's more of the "I want to be on top of the world" attitude - not me agains the world. Every athlete strives to be the best at what they are. Sports, especially baseball, have become so much of a business these days - which means the better you do, the more money you get. But, along with the money, comes fame and a developing history with every swing, every pitch, every game that is played.

He is a Hall Of Famer, no doubt, but I am willing to bet my right arm that "they" will postpone his induction for as long as possible...
    i doubt that. he will certainly be inducted the first time (5 years after resignation). any homerun champ deserves that honor.

Re: Re: Re: bOnDs !!!

Originally posted by KeyMastur

He is that way, but look at it this way - if you were that famous, and had the media watch your every move, and fans yellin

"sign this"
    "barry, over here"
    "barry you suck - that was mcgwire's record"
    "barry, can i have a ball"

then you'd want them off your back as well and be a little testy with everyone. fans follow you everywhere - at the ballpark every hour of the day just to get his autograph - basically appear like stalkers. they just won't leave him alone.
    Many, many ballplayers have the same thing happen to them and they aren't assholes like Bonds. It's no excuse.

Don't you think Cal Ripken must have gotten tired of crap back in 1998 (wasn't it?) when he was going for his record breaking Iron Man record ? How about McGwire in 1999 when he was on the HR pace ? Last year both Cal Ripken and Tony Gwynn were dogged all year because of their impending retirements, yet you will NEVER meet any two guys that are more fan friendly, always have time to talk to fans and feel the obligation to support the fans that make their way of life.

Bonds, was born and raised the son of an athlete, he of all of them knew the ropes before he started playing ball and should be more aware than the others that the fans are the most important part of the game, for without the fans there is NO BIG MONEY and there is not game.

Sorry Key, your argument doesn't cut it today.

KeyMastur is offline VET

Re: Re: Re: Re: bOnDs !!!

Many, many ballplayers have the same thing happen to them and they aren't assholes like Bonds. It's no excuse.
    not trying to start an argument, just offering a different point of view....

your choices of Gwynn and Ripken - yes, they are very fan friendly. some people can handle the media / pressure / fans / etc....some people can't and just get fed up with it. it's like you want to scream "just leave me alone for a little bit".

they didn't get rid of it, they limited it to how long it can be.

please explain why he is a piece of shit...
    See my answer above....that is why last year not as much was made of his HR run as a couple year before when Sammy Sosa and Mark McGwire ran for their record. Both McGwire and Sosa are fan friendly and Bonds is a self-absorbed and arrogant fuck.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    that is why last year not as much was made of his HR run as a couple year before when Sammy Sosa and Mark McGwire ran for their record. Both McGwire and Sosa are fan friendly and Bonds is a self-absorbed and arrogant fuck.
    that's b/c it had only been...what....3 years since McGwire & Sosa's amazing race. before that it had been....what....40 years since anyone came even close to that mark ??

all the player's are fan friendly for the simple fact of this - it makes them look better. bonds really doesn't care how he appears to the fans. he knows he's good and will still remain in the game until he chooses to retire.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    also, look at it this way.....remember the HR race in 61 between Maris and Mantle......who did the fans want to break Ruth's record? Mantle.......why ???? b/c Maris wasn't very open to the fans.

The media has a funny and manipulating way to help form opinions of the fans by leading them with a negative slant towards certain athletes that rebel against the media.

Unless we know him personally, I don't think anyone can judge his charecter off the field. If history holds true then some said Ty Cobb was the biggest prick in his time as well, but either way you cant take away the fact Barry smashed 73 homeruns last season, and is consistently a heavy hitter. He is a Hall Of Famer, no doubt, but I am willing to bet my right arm that "they" will postpone his induction for as long as possible...what a fucking shame...the man goes to work on a baseball diamond and does his job remarkably...it shoudn't matter if he signs 1 or 1 trillion autographs...what a cop out to those who are being led by the machine....it's sad really!!!
    Sorry, but I have had personal experience of his assholeness. He was at the Celebrity Golf Tournament that Dan Marino holds for his charities about 2 years ago. I was there and witnessed the kids and fans that waited for each of the athletes to pass by and talk, sign autographs and just greet and meet the fans. Every single athlete but Bonds stopped and greeted and talked to fans. This is why I think it's NOT just the media led campaign against him, but that there is a lot of validity behind it as well.

Ty Cobb was a prick, and a racist asshole. Certainly not anyone I would want my children to emulate, and there are so many other baseball players to look up too than that jerk.

I have no problem with Bonds being in the HOF as soon as he is eligible, his on field accomplishments regarding HR's are without question. However he hasn't performed like a champion when it really counted; at Pittsburgh he had a career under .200 batting average when in the playoffs and at San Francisco his numbers are not much better. In 1997 I believe he hit his 1st HR of the post-season after 15 playoff games. During the season is one thing, but REAL CHAMPIONS and GREAT PLAYERS play and lead in the playoffs, which at, he certainly has failed miserably.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    In 1997 I believe he hit his 1st HR of the post-season after 15 playoff games. During the season is one thing, but REAL CHAMPIONS and GREAT PLAYERS play and lead in the playoffs, which at, he certainly has failed miserably.
    a game is a game. playoffs - so the stakes are a little higher. doesn't mean you have to change anything to play better. just keep playing like you are and it will all fall in place. some people just have their shining moments - whether it be good or bad.

i doubt that. he will certainly be inducted the first time (5 years after resignation). any homerun champ deserves that honor.
    I agree, he will be in the HOF on the 1st ballot. He deserves that; I have no question of his being in the HOF, I just don't think he's a HOF player when it comes to the fans. He's a 1st class JERK. That is the basis of what I 1st said in this thread. He's an amazing athlete, but I can't stand him, he's a self-absorbed and arrogant prick and it's a damn shame he has the HR record and I will love it if someone else can beat him this year.

The unfortunate thing is he could be # 3 on the all-time list by years end. He most certainly will pass up Harmon "The Killer" Killebrew and Mark McGwire this year.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: bOnDs !!!

not trying to start an argument, just offering a different point of view....

your choices of Gwynn and Ripken - yes, they are very fan friendly. some people can handle the media / pressure / fans / etc....some people can't and just get fed up with it. it's like you want to scream "just leave me alone for a little bit".
    Hey I agree with you, it's tough and hard to put up with. I probably couldn't do it myself. Still doesn't change the fact I have heard he is the same whether he is with fans or with people at restaurants. I read in the paper last year he refuses to tip white people that serve him. Is it true? I don't know but I believe it's very within the character he has shown us already.

Again I will say, he's an amazing athlete, I just think he is an arrogant fuck and a self-absorbed asshole. For what its worth, I followed Tony Gwynn and Call Ripken and thier retirements more closely last year than his HR chase.

mishon1 is offline Associate Member
    bonds doesnt seeem to care about anything but winning. everytime the press talks to him thats all he talks about. he doesnt talk about how many home runs he wants. he is cocky but shit when u hold 3 records and set them all n one year then u can b. i think everyone is crushing homeruns cause they r luv'n the juice. everybody's using i think like 40% or baseball players.

shonuff is offline Associate Member

...it shoudn't matter if he signs 1 or 1 trillion autographs...what a cop out to those who are being led by the machine....it's sad really!!!

Your 100% right about that...every listens to the media and judges somebody about what the media says.

case in point when latreall sprewell tried to choke his coach the media crucified him and made him out to be a bad guy. and EVERYONE listened to the media. even the average joe who didnt even know who he was heard about the story and formed there opinion about him based off the "media" and said stuff like he should be kicked out the nba, and hes a piece of crap...etc.
    But now the media is sayin hes a good player and a good guy and those same people who crucified him even the media or on his nuts!!!!!! I bet u if Jordan had did the same thing everyone would be blaming the coach for what happened, why cause Jordan cant do wrong in the medias eyes and the fans eyes.
    it would have been more like "i wonder what coach did to jordan to make him snap like that" and nobody would crucify Jordan.

The same thing goes for people like Iverson the media didnt like him and called him a trouble maker, bad influence, thug..etc.then he makes a rap cd with cursing and violent lyrics..etc and the media crucifies him and now hes REALLY a trouble maker, bad influence blah blah blah, and EVERY1 believed the media and made an opinion about him....but now he has takin hes team to the finals, nba mvp, does press conferences with hes kids on hes lap and now hes a good guy, positive role model,hes just misunderstood..etc
    and of course since the media changed there view on Iverson so did every1 else who is a slave to da media!!!!!

Sorry to rant here but i hate it when people judge athletes when they KNOW NOTHIN ABOUT THEM EXCEPT WHAT THEY HEAR FORM THE MEDIA!!!!!!

Peace

also, look at it this way.....remember the HR race in 61 between Maris and Mantle......who did the fans want to break Ruth's record? Mantle.......why ???? b/c Maris wasn't very open to the fans.
    Doesn't this make my original point? That he's an amazing athlete but its a shame he's such a jerk? No argument Key, just we agree it seems in a way.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Originally posted by mishon1
    everybody's using i think like 40% or baseball players.
    um.......no.......try a higher number.....

a game is a game. playoffs - so the stakes are a little higher. doesn't mean you have to change anything to play better. just keep playing like you are and it will all fall in place. some people just have their shining moments - whether it be good or bad.
    My point being he hasn't UPPED the ante when it comes to playoff time. All althletes know you have to up the ante when it comes to the playoffs, unfortunately for the Pirates and Giants so far, Bonds has never done that.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Doesn't this make my original point? That he's an amazing athlete but its a shame he's such a jerk? No argument Key, just we agree it seems in a way.
    ah, we do.....shoot me now....

he's portrayed a jerk b/c he chooses not to acknowledge the fans b/c they are constantly hounding him. baseball is work believe it or not. the owner's are the real people in it to make money. if they don't get the best players, they won't have the best business. so, they attempt to get the best players regardless of how they act. as long as their team wins, they will make money and they will look good.

um.......no.......try a higher number.....
    Yeah, probably like 75%. I saw a game the other day on ESPN Classics that was about 10 years old. The difference was remarkable in the size of the players it really shocked me.

The juice has changed the game.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    The juice has changed the game.
    which brings up a few points :

1 - bigger faster stronger = better
    2 - if you're better, then you'll get more cash (cause it's a business !)

shonuff is offline Associate Member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Canes4Ever
    [B]

Sorry, but I have had personal experience of his assholeness. He was at the Celebrity Golf Tournament that Dan Marino holds for his charities about 2 years ago. I was there and witnessed the kids and fans that waited for each of the athletes to pass by and talk, sign autographs and just greet and meet the fans. Every single athlete but Bonds stopped and greeted and talked to fans. This is why I think it's NOT just the media led campaign against him, but that there is a lot of validity behind it as well.

Canes Barry knows how people think of him and how bad they talk about him..why would he sign an autograph for a fan that dosnt like him??and probaly only wants his autograph so they can sell it on ebay and make some money??????

Gary Shefeild is in the same boat... hes on home field boos him and calls him racist names, he has to sit out in da field and have hes home team yell and curse at him the whole game!!!!! and then those same fans ask for an autograph...but most people dont know that Gary is a christain and he wouldnt sign autographs but he understands thats not the right attitude to have and goes ahead and signs them. But once again the MEDIA lables Gary and so do the fans.

jleighty17 is offline Associate Member
    Originally posted by ibiza69
    if he continues at this rate (2 homer games) he will be on pace for 214 homeruns, so that means he will break his home run reacord by early june. just a stat there.
    if my memory serves me correct there are 162 games in a season so 2 a game liek he is doing nowthat would be 324 homeruns in a season not 214 just a little correction there

CANES WROTE.... I read in the paper last year he refuses to tip white people that serve him. Is it true? I don't know but I believe it's very within the character he has shown us already

My point exactly CANES, you READ in the paper. Give me the name of the waiter/waiters that Bonds didn't tip, not the publication of a slanted writer. The paper written by who, the media machine. They can make or break a public figure, don't be so gullible to the power they possess. He might have said that, if so that makes HIM a racist, but it doesn't count out the fact that he has set himself athletically in the history books as THE TOP HR hitter in the game to date. Everyone has to have a good and bad guy, that is just the way we humans are. Bonds got tagged with that title, maybe he deserves it, maybe not, but the bottom line is being a bad or good person to the fans or media isn't a qualification in his field of employment, though it would be smart of him to play the political game with the entire "machine" but he chooses to just show up and work. Anything outside of the baseball diamond and 9 innings is irrelevant to his responsibilities. He isnt REQUIRED to be at the fans or medias expense. It is his right, we have to respect that. We don't necessarily have to agree or understand it, but at least respect it. As far as his playoff performances, he has yet to "prove" hisself to me, but then again it takes more than 1 HR record holder to win big games, just ask Mark Mcguire. His playoff stats are suspect as well, but because he adhores to the politics that polute all athletics it is NEVER mentioned. BTW, HOF voters, believe it or not, are media fed and in my opinion Bonds will suffer for this more than the 5 years after his retirement. Yes he deserves immediate induction, but so does Pete Rose, and we all know where he is at.

BTW, I love this debate, very passionate.
    Last edited by 9natural9; 04-04-2002 at 10:44 AM.

ah, we do.....shoot me now....

he's portrayed a jerk b/c he chooses not to acknowledge the fans b/c they are constantly hounding him.
    And he also CHOOSES to be an asshole. And guess what, he also has hurt himself commercially as well. Don't see Bonds in too many commericals, like you see Ripken, Gwynn or McGwire.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    And he also CHOOSES to be an asshole. And guess what, he also has hurt himself commercially as well. Don't see Bonds in too many commericals, like you see Ripken, Gwynn or McGwire.
    that's cause he doesn't want to be. he doesn't need all that extra bullshit to make him look good - he does that with his stick. why do you think so many other ballplayer's have "charities" that they help fund ??? it makes them look better, more of a "family" man or whatever.

which brings up a few points :

1 - bigger faster stronger = better
    2 - if you're better, then you'll get more cash (cause it's a business !)
    To # 1, yes and no, has bigger, faster and stronger changed the game enough as to make it a better or worse game ?

It used to be that "pitching and defense" won you games, now it's a HR battle. I am old-fashioned and prefer pitching and defense.

(Post #34)

CANES WROTE.... I read in the paper last year he refuses to tip white people that serve him. Is it true? I don't know but I believe it's very within the character he has shown us already

My point exactly CANES, you READ in the paper. Give me the name of the waiter/waiters that Bonds didn't tip, not the publication of a slanted writer. The paper written by who, the media machine. They can make or break a public figure, don't be so gullible to the power they possess. He might have said that, if so that makes HIM a racist, but it doesn't count out the fact that he has set himself athletically in the history books as THE TOP HR hitter in the game to date. Everyone has to have a good and bad guy, that is just the way we humans are. Bonds got tagged with that title, maybe he deserves it, maybe not, but the bottom line is being a bad or good person to the fans or media isn't a qualification in his field of employment, though it would be smart of him to play the political game with the entire "machine" but he chooses to just show up and work. Anything outside of the baseball diamond and 9 innings is irrelevant to his responsibilities. He isnt REQUIRED to be at the fans or medias expense. It is his right, we have to respect that. We don't necessarily have to agree or understand it, but at least respect it. As far as his playoff performances, he has yet to "prove" hisself to me, but then again it takes more than 1 HR record holder to win big games, just ask Mark Mcguire. His playoff stats are suspect as well, but because he adhores to the politics that polute all athletics it is NEVER mentioned. BTW, HOF voters, believe it or not, are media fed and in my opinion Bonds will suffer for this more than the 5 years after his retirement. Yes he deserves immediate induction, but so does Pete Rose, and we all know where he is at.

BTW, I love this debate, very passionate.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Bonds will suffer for this more than the 5 years after his retirement. Yes he deserves immediate induction, but so does Pete Rose, and we all know where he is at.
    Pete Rose isn't being inducted b/c he broke the rules - he gambled on baseball. not allowed

KeyMastur is offline VET
    It used to be that "pitching and defense" won you games, now it's a HR battle. I am old-fashioned and prefer pitching and defense.
    as an old coach of mine used to say "there are 3 things that win games - pitching, defense, and timely hitting"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information