George Best 1946-2005 RIP

Former football star George Best has died in hospital at the age of 59.
    Son Calum, 24, who had kept an all-night vigil at Best's bedside, said: "Not only have I lost my dad but we've all lost a wonderful man."

Best died in intensive care at 1255 GMT on Friday following "a long and very ******* fight", said a statement from west London's Cromwell Hospital.

The ex-Manchester United and Northern Ireland star had multiple organ failure following weeks of ill health.

Best's father Dickie, 87, was among family members at the bedside overnight.

A statement from Best's second wife, Alex, said: "George was the love of my life. He was a unique and talented person who made a lot of people very happy."

Tributes

Republic of Ireland Prime Minister Bertie Ahern led tributes, describing Best as one of his "one of the best players the world has ever seen".

"In the days ahead people will struggle with words to try to describe his talent," Mr Ahern said.

"In this regard George should be remembered as the very best at what he did. He was quite simply a football genius."

The hospital statement continued: "The thoughts of all staff at Cromwell Hospital are with Mr Best's family at this time."

Best had been in hospital since entering with flu-like symptoms on 1 October, later suffering a kidney infection.

His condition deteriorated sharply last Friday with the development of a lung infection that led to internal bleeding.

Best, a recovering alcoholic, was particularly susceptible to infection because of medicines he needed after a 2002 liver transplant.

The Belfast-born former footballer and television pundit had been prescribed medication to suppress the immune system and prevent his body rejecting the new liver.

At the time of his hospital admission in October, Best's agent Phil Hughes said his client had been "off the drink" before being admitted to the hospital.

Heyday

Best is widely regarded as one of the greatest players to have graced the British and world game.

His heyday occurred during the 1960s, and he brought a pop star image to the game for the first time.

But the accompanying champagne and playboy lifestyle degenerated into alcoholism, bankruptcy, a prison sentence for drink-driving and, eventually, his controversial liver transplant.

He helped Manchester United win the First Division title in 1965 and 1967 and the European Cup in 1968. His role in the team's success was recognised by his becoming the European Footballer of the Year in 1968.

Best made 466 appearances for the Old Trafford club, scoring a total of 178 goals.

He also won 37 caps - scoring nine goals - for Northern Ireland.

This guy put northern ireland on the sporting map, and was probably the best football (soccer) player the world has seen! Its a sad day here, wev lost a son

ironboxer is offline Banned
    oh thats sad.
    I read it also here
    he was the best soccer player that northern ireland ever had

Booz is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    as an avid football fan myself i am saddened by the loss of one of the greatest players ever to grace the football pitch,however the way he jumped the quew for a liver and then carryd on with the alcohol did not impress me at all,that liver would have been put to better use if given to some-one else,jmo!

stocky121 is offline VET~ Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Quote Originally Posted by booz
    as an avid football fan myself i am saddened by the loss of one of the greatest players ever to grace the football pitch,however the way he jumped the quew for a liver and then carryd on with the alcohol did not impress me at all,that liver would have been put to better use if given to some-one else,jmo!

agreed bro he ****ed up even after a second chance

Chemical King is offline Anabolic Member
    i agree. I dont think he should have got the new liver especialy now that he has proved it was a waste. but i dont wanna speak ill of the dead so R.I.P.

off to the match sunday should be a good game!!!

Im gona go to Old Trafford and sign the book of condolences,Ill write a little someting from u guys if you would like??

Quote Originally Posted by xtralarg
    Im gona go to Old Trafford and sign the book of condolences,Ill write a little someting from u guys if you would like??
    that would be nice mate,a great player but like i said did not like wat he did with the gift of life he got!
    we will respect the minutes silence!!!

I agree,he wasted that gift like he wasted his unique talent,shame really.

they allways show that bloody goal he scored against us when he went round almost the whole team,god he was gifted!!

they allways show that bloody goal he scored against us when he went round almost the whole team,god he was gifted!!

Was that the one against the gunners?

Was that the one against the gunners?
    how dare you!!!im a nasty little west ham fan

how dare you!!!im a nasty little west ham fan
    Didnt thay have a firm called ICF or something?

are you takin the piss by any chance???

are you takin the piss by any chance???

No mate i used to follow football years ago and as far as i remember west ham had a firm called icf or something?

No mate i used to follow football years ago and as far as i remember west ham had a firm called icf or something?
    yeah mate i think they are still around,it still goes off when we play certain teams,chelsea,the yid fvcks and ofcoarse yourselves!!!take a look ive put up a photo of the icf's top dog in the whore thread!!!scares the shit outta me!!!

Thread Information