View Poll Results: Who is to blame for the current financial situation in sports?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Players (including the unions)

1 33.33%
  • Owners (big money teams)

2 66.67%
  • Fans (not enough support)

0 0%
  • Leagues (too much expansion)

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%
    EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator

Who is to blame for the current financial situation in sports?

It seems like half of the sports news today relates to contracts, bargaining agreements, strikes, lockouts, contraction, etc...

My question is - Who is to blame for the financial situation in major sports leagues?
    Last edited by EXCESS; 06-06-2002 at 01:31 AM.

Vegas Kid is offline Senior Member
    Everybody!! I can't really side with one group or the other. I guess ultimately WE are to blame. If we wouldn't go and support the teams then the players wouldn't be making ridiculous amount of money. I believe that the owners should be allowed to pay their employees whatever the hell they want. If the player doesn't like it then leave! You don't see Microsoft employees wanting million dollar paychecks just cuz Gates is a billionaire.

If there is another strike that will be it for baseball! Average person stuggles to make 25K /yr and saves up to buy their shit (jerseys, hats) and get a ticket to the game and all these fucking players complain about is how 5mil ain't enough. I'm sick of that shit.

9natural9 is offline Banned
    Its the old marketing tool of supply and demand...we want sports, and that is a good thing, but unfortunately for the sanctity of sports, the money grubbing vultures could care a less about the game, but more so the all mighty buck...which in some sense I cant blame them for raking it in, although we are setting ourselves up for a complete breakdown in entertainment soon, I can already tell in the lack of efforts in certain high profile athletes.....

shonuff is offline Associate Member
    t.v. as soon as they started playin games on tv the game itself changed

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    The players, owners and leagues drive the fans away, so its not our fault. Players unions are too damn greedy. They claim to be concerned about small market teams until the thought of a paycut comes up. Owners like Steinbrenner are killing the small market teams as well. I'm also against teams being owned by large corporations. The leagues ultimately have the power to change this stuff but they won't risk lengthy lockouts.

Thread Information