Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator

Rich Beem is your PGA Champion

Rich Beem is a 31 year old, unheralded pro who stunned the field yesterday by winning one of Pro Golf's 4 major Championships yesterday. The PGA Championship was the 4th and final major this year and Beem was a huge underdog. Seven years ago he was selling cell phones and car stereos in Seattle and still carries a business card from that job to remind him of where he was. His first ever tour win came in 1997 when he won a small pro/am tourney in Truth or Consequences, New Mexico. He earned his largest pay check to date from that win....$5000. Yesterdays victory was accompanied by $990,000 in prize money!! He was among the leaders after round 2 and round 3 but was very modest about his chances. During yesterdays round, he played flawlessly and was calm and collected the entire time. He nailed an eagle on the 13th hole (a par 5) which vaulted him to -11. It turns out that cushion was needed as golf's best, Tiger Woods, made a late charge by knocking down birdies on his last 4 consecutive holes. Tiger had a blip on holes 13 and 14 when he scored back to back bogeys. After that he seemed to focus on his game and was simply brilliant. Beem bogeyed the 18th but that was all ne needed to do as he finished with a score -10 to Tigers -9.

Vegas Kid is offline Senior Member
    Good for him, he deserved it. Did you hear the guy scream "Don't miss it" on his last put. That shit was funny.

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    My favorite shot of the day though would have to be Funks slam dunker. That was simply amazing.

nuke is offline Member
    My question is this ??? If Tiger can come back to -10. From the 13th hole !!! Why cant he put that energy in from like the 8th ??

Big Prop to Rich Beem

BTW- Did you see his wife?- Cutie !

I love seeing the underdogs win and I would love to see Phil Mickelson finally win a mjor...he deserves it. I'm also a fan of Mie kWeir being Canadian but I have to say that Tiger is the man!! I will watch any tourney thathe plays in. He has brought this great game to a new level and makes it enjoyable to follow!

nuke is offline Member
    Poor Phil. I agree Pete, he needs to win one next next year.

I was very disappointed with Sergio coming in at +1....I'm a big fan of his.

Like you said though, Tiger brings a lot to the game and he will be around for a while !

I'm becoming more of fan as I mature I don't play nearly as much as I would like (between 4-8 rounds per year) but that has more to do with priorities (lifting and softball coome first ). I actually like watching any Major and any tourney with the big names. Nuke, I agree about Sergio, another talented young player who brings excitment and electricity to the game. He has not even come close to hitting his stride yet and his best years are yet to come.

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Golf isnt even a sport...how can there be so much money in it?

Originally posted by nuke

I was very disappointed with Sergio coming in at +1....I'm a big fan of his.
    Tell me you're kidding. I can't stand that piece of shit. How many times does he have to grip the fucking club before he wacks it in the rough? I can't stand watching him, it's so annoying. I'm no golf coach, but gripping the club 100 times before a shot can't be great for your swing.

nuke is offline Member
    Vegas- That part is annoying as heck !
    But its like anything else if you learn to play like that it NEVER goes away.

Look at David Robinon he has to bounce the ball 3x before he shots a free throw !! He has to or the universe will cave in or something. :-)

Pete- I may play 5x a year and I live n GOLF USA ! Florida, more golf courses per capita than anywhere in the counrty. But it is a very difficcult and frustrating sport, and being a big guy I have trouble with those tiny clubs.

I have to use custom made one from a buddy my size

Originally posted by nuke
    Pete- I may play 5x a year and I live n GOLF USA ! Florida, more golf courses per capita than anywhere in the counrty. But it is a very difficcult and frustrating sport, and being a big guy I have trouble with those tiny clubs.

I have to use custom made one from a buddy my size
    What are the clubs like Nuke. Are they longer than normal? I have a slicing problem and my friend Big Sus thinks it may be because of my swing (kinda like a baseball swing) where there is a lot of club head speed generated. He suggested fat shaft clubs like he has. Maybe worth looking into. By no means am I a good golfer (usually high 90's) but I sure do enjoy getting out with friends and playing a round on a beautiful course. As they say " A bad day of golf is still better than a good day at work!!"

Butch is offline Anabolic Member
    Originally posted by palme
    Golf isnt even a sport...how can there be so much money in it?
    Are you kidding me bro.....it may not seem like a sport but you try and get out there and practice six hours everyday, then play 72 holes ove rhte weekend (granted you make the cut) and then jump on a plane and so that shit all over again. I'm not flamin you bro....but i have been playing this sport avidly for the last 15 years of my life.

It is the most mental sport there is. It's fuckin' hard to play golf everyday and expect to have good results everyday. Golf has the largest slumps ever. Look at some of the guys that excell one week and play like shit the next.

Pete, as far as Mickelson is concerned....homebiy is a choke artist.....he has to get all that mental shit out of his head. Or he is gouing to turn out like Norman did. Norman was the choke artis of the late 80's and early 90's. I hope he gets through this shit!

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Walking around with a club does not count as a sport. Dart isnt a sport either and itīs alot of mental shit there to? Same with bowling. i could go on and on. Some "sports" should just be played with friends over a few beers.

Okay throwing darts bro....come on! I don't know if you have ever played golf...but you don't just walk artound with a club in your hand. If you have never played before then I would suggest you pick a cluba and a ball and try to hit the ball into a small hole. But try doing this about 420 yeards away from the hole.....it's not easy....

I understand your philosphy behind what you are saying...but seriously it is more complexed than you think. People need to have a more opened mind to this game/sport...

And I agree Palme....golf is best when played with your boys and a few cases of beer....but the competition is just as fun....

Golf is a sport a skill sport. It's great for business meetings and also for weekend getaways. Bowling is not a sport, nor darts, pool, theather ball, and many others.

It's all up to what you consider a sport. I don't think synchronized swimming is a sport but I couldn't do that shit.

Originally posted by Vegas Kid
    Golf is a sport a skill sport. It's great for business meetings and also for weekend getaways. Bowling is not a sport, nor darts, pool, theather ball, and many others.

It's all up to what you consider a sport. I don't think synchronized swimming is a sport but I couldn't do that shit.
    I agree bro...that's pretty much what I was trying to say....you have a better choice of words.

Thread Information