Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    FaTbAcK is offline Banned
    BEcause you dont wear pads doesnt mean tougher, means stupider

maguilagorilla is offline Associate Member
    Originally posted by Vegas Kid
    There's no doubt that football rakes in more money and that it's more complicated than rugby, but that's not the discussion here.

The point is, we have rugby year round, we don't wear pads, we obviously spend more time on the field than football players and that is why IMO, rugby is a more phsically demanding sport.

I'm sure the Univ of Texas has a rugby team you guys can go play for, I think they are one of the best around.
    yeah ill send out my little sister first and ask her if its worth the trip then think about wasting my time there

Rugby13 is offline Member
    Originally posted by maguilagorilla
    i'll try an get some rugby games in but,my little sister already said she has too many players!!hahaha..........hey rugby13 iv known guys that have died playint tag,so the fact that some one dies during a sport dont mean its tuogh it just something that happened. i just think football a harder sport from what i see on tv.
    Bro, that's why I said you should go play...with a good team and then let me know...

Originally posted by FaTbAcK
    Bottom line is you don't see Rugby raking in cash like Football. It is all about supply and demand, and obviously the people HERE IN AMERICA have spoken.......Football, deal with it bra's!!!
    You obviously played for a sorry team but as for the money thing.....Sports in America is SO comercialized. Where else in the world do people sign 100million dollar contracts to play sport for a few years? There is no pride and honor in the game. A guy will be playing for one team then as soon as he get a million more from another club he's gone the next year. No loyalty, and it's not like they need anymore money. As far as the 215 page playbook.....it's not like you have to remember all the plays. The coaches all feed them to you anyway, then you have 20 minutes half-time to have everything given to you again.
    Why in the good ol days did they play football without as much padding? I guess you're gonna say cause the game has evolved and peole are fitter and bigger, well it's a little ignorant thinking that rugby hasn't evolved in the same way!!!
    As far as the big guys in south Africa, the one we mentioned is one of many and I guarantee you that on a par for par basis the big guys in rugby need to be a lot fitter than the football players of the same size!! I think I've covered all your points...let me know if I've left one out.

You gotta do your research brother, because at the Div I level we are REQUIRED to know ALL those friggin plays dude, how else do you think we know how to execute them.....do you think that the coach breaks out some bottle caps and sticks and shows us that way, uhhhh HELL NO he mumbles out something like "SKY UNDER DOUBLE STINGER TRIPLE RING 43 ON SET" and that is just a basic defensive call....it only gets harder...each little word in that call assigns each player an assignment which he is responsible for.....unlike Rugby which is "hey go that way really fast and before you get tackled pitch"

By the way the rugby team I played for did blow, but I got the jist of the game and it was allright, but generic.

As far as football being commercialized, oh well, you rugby players can stay loyal and broke while the NFL players get to travel to team to team and remain beyond rich........

and the jury rest.....

You gotta do your research brother, because at the Div I level we are REQUIRED to know ALL those friggin plays dude, how else do you think we know how to execute them.....do you think that the coach breaks out some bottle caps and sticks and shows us that way, uhhhh HELL NO he mumbles out something like "SKY UNDER DOUBLE STINGER TRIPLE RING 43 ON SET" and that is just a basic defensive call....it only gets harder...each little word in that call assigns each player an assignment which he is responsible for.....unlike Rugby which is "hey go that way really fast and before you get tackled pitch"

By the way the rugby team I played for did blow, but I got the jist of the game and it was allright, but generic.

As far as football being commercialized, oh well, you rugby players can stay loyal and broke while the NFL players get to travel to team to team and remain beyond rich........

and the jury rest.....
    As for the calls: I didn't mean you don't need to know what they are, I'm saying the coach tell you which one to run each play. It's not like you decide what to do. In rugby you need to know the moves as well as decide when to use them as well, with no coach shouting moves into a microphone for you.
    As for the money: well yes football players do get paid well, very well, but just to point something out the proball ruggers get paid pretty damn well as well, not the 100million $ signings but after they stop playing those dumbass football players spend it all and go bankrupt anyway so that's no good huh.

well, i dont really think we were talking about money, there no contest american sports probably generate more .......dont get me wrong i think rugby is fine and all good hits good athletes and all but for my time its gotta be football hands down amybe in the next life if im not as tough or born kinda "sweet" ill try rugby

Check this hit out bro.... AND NO PADS!!! By the way both these guys are over 6 foot and weight about 230, and htey the small boys!! After you click on the link go right down to the bottom and click on "clips from the tri nations" then click on this one: Rassie crunches Larkham
    http://www.sarugby.net/index.html?SC...1&fanzone_ID=4

cool site!! i showed to my neighbor(who by the way goes to cosmotolgy school and works part time at the chukee cheeses) and he says its somthing that he and his "girlfriends" could get into!!

123A is offline Junior Member
    hey! manguillagorilla, you crack me up bru... shit, i watched my first game of "football" last night, 3 things i couldn't grasp about the game.

1. why so many coaches, and players?
    2. why does the bloody game stop so many times?
    3. and why tackle a guy if he hasn't got the ball?

you all stand in a line facing each other, this guy passes it back to another guy, everybody attacks each other, one guy runs, and the guy with the ball throughs it to him, game stops, and then it all starts again, then the ref. blows and then they kick it for posts.
    just after all that they keep changing players on the feild, and when they get off, these guys are finshed, no wonder with the amount of crap they have to wear, i admitt some of these guys are big, but, the look no bigger than rugby players....wait.... remember the rugby players don't have shoulder pads on, helmet, gloves, knee pads etc. so maybe, just maybe they look the same size.
    it looked physical to me, it looked tactical to me too, of course you need to know what you doing to keep play going, so i came to a conclussion, rugby is MORE physical to time of play, and you got 2 games that are played against 2 teams to score to win.

but... i laughed when my girlfriend came in while i was watching and said.... "i'm glad to see that they are starting to take precautions in rugby now, by letting the players were helmets and pads for protection"

YOU watch your 1st game of football and came to THAT conclusion.........well, maybe you dudes over there should wear helmets, cause your brains are mush......lol

Fatback did you see the hit I posted a little earlier? What you think?

YOU watch your 1st game of football and came to THAT conclusion.........well, maybe you dudes over there should wear helmets, cause your brains are mush......lol
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

HEY! EVEN OUR BALLS ARE BIGGER!!

you know what i saw my first COMPLETE rugby game and i gotta admit not bad, not bad reminds alot of when i used to play "tag" or "hide and go seek" and even a little of "smear the queer" but mostly it bruoght memories of watching my little sister and her friends play house and drinking tea and baking those mud pies, ahh the memories,that reminds me let me call her up and say hi who knows , maybe i ll let her know about this thread and she might get some of her patients at the resthome partake in some rugby hahahaha,but there not gonna be able to use thier walkers and canes wouldnt want it to get too ruoghlol

hey, manguilagorilla, just don't let the forget to bring there pretty little uniforms with those nice shinny helmets, and there gloves, shine pads, knee pads, elbow pads, kneckbraces and don't forget the shoulder pads, cause you'all look so mean and tough in those shoulder pads, well even let them stop play every 2 minutes, so that they don't get toooo tired hey? we an't have that hey, then we can have a cup of tea and some pie afterwards just for the sport of it hey??? lol

Hitman is offline Senior Member
    Fatback i have to speak up because your arrogant behavour is making me see fuckin red.Firstly rugby is not a "broke" sport it is in fact a multi million dollar organisation and like football some of rugby and its players are extremely commercial.Secondly we dont "pitch" the ball we "pass" it.You want to know which sport is "tougher"? well do a search on Buck shellford or colin meads, back in the day Buck played the last crucial 10 mins in a game with his testicles and scrotum disattached from his member and colin had a broken arm and told the medical staff"just tape it up, she'll be right". Fuck when one of the NFL players break a nail they need a shoot of novacain.We have sma;; clubs that play football and an invitational side from the states came over to play them needless to say the americans one well afterwards they were takin to a test match between nz and aussie well you should have seen the looks of amazement and heard the comments coming from the yanks, one of them said "why arent they wearing pads and protective gear" to which the new zealand management and fans sitting nearby burst into laughter. Oh and maguilagorilla which one were you in that game of "smear the queer"? hmm......HITMAN

HITMAN.......WAHAHAHWAHAAHAAHA!! smear the queer....WAHAHAHAHA! you are a lot quicker with words than i am, tell them wat a games like against the allblack and the springboks, i think this is the only time you'll see a south african and a new zealander agreeing on any sport, there is no loved lost between these two countries when it comes to rugby, (or cricket, heY?) but if you wanna see tough, have a look at the Allblacks line up.... some big mf's there, but never really been a threat to us down here.....ummmm!

p.s. HITMAN... good to see ya back...hows your boy?

p.s. HITMAN... good to see ya back...hows your boy?

palme is offline Rosie Member
    LOL he played without his nutsack? F*cking hardcore bro!

Hows your boy doing Hitman?

Hey 123 and palme yeah its good to be back fuck i thought i had been banned lol i couldnt access this place through any means but i sent the addy to myself from my dads once i figured i could access it from his comp.And shaun is real good he got his cast off a week ago, he still has some stiches in his head because its too difficult to get out due to the pits left in his melon oh and he has takin off AGAIN since coming home from hospital dont know what to do.......HITMAN ps....123 what do you think of us poaching that aussie player steve devine? have you been following that?

glad to here the kids come better.... no none, i haven't heard a thing about it, he must not be that good hey!?!?!? lol, how?
    is he newzealand born or something?

well as far as i can see he was born over here in NZ, went to aussie but the problem is he played representitive rugby for them in the 1998 world sevens so thats where the problem lays.The NZRFU is applying for a dispensation dont know on what grounds but he appears to be pretty good.Hey who was that prick from the boks that likes to drop kick at the last minute lol ive lost money both times cause of him (one was the world cup). I actually like watching the boks vs kiwis better than against oz mainly because of the high emotions and and physical nature of both sides. We have a touring side playing england(they just lost to us 50 something to 20 something) ireland and wales but its pretty much our B team......HITMAN

Jack87 is offline Retired Vet

Re: Rugby vs Football

Originally posted by Rugby13
    I figured this might get a reaction but which do you think is a physically tougher sport?

I respect Rugby players, I mean the guys are crazy playing with no pads and hitting the shit out of each other...

Football still has to be more physical though, because they are running just as fast and are much larger men, so IMO they are taking more of a beating then Rugby players...

I can't imagine getting hit by a Linemen weighing over 300lbs that can still run the 40 in under 5 seconds... That's like getting hit by a freighttrain...

stransky was the man!!! jannie de beer has a good boot against u kiwis as well, but about steve, wat does he feel about the hole thing?
    we had the same thing with an 21 yr wing playing for some english county, born sa but lived most his life in uk, he was not pleased about the draft he received for sa, never really found out wat happened, but we don't have any new province players, so ????
    don't you guys have a tour here beginning next season?
    i was watching a sports special on your rugby schools, shit, you guys have some of the best rated acad. in the world, couching is out of this world, and got some strong new blood comming up the ranks aswell.
    so hows fitzpatricks new ear???? lol

hey, buff, howzit!
    pads or no pads, you got a 300lb fella, tackling you, its bound to hurt no matter wat sport?!? IMO

Originally posted by 123A
    hey, buff, howzit!
    pads or no pads, you got a 300lb fella, tackling you, its bound to hurt no matter wat sport?!? IMO

Bro I already said I respect Rugby players, how much more you want from me??? To kiss their ass? Cus that will never happen!

I still say Football players are just plain and simple bigger faster men and when the hit you there's gonna be more pain involved... How many Rugby players bench over 500lbs and squat 700lbs, and can still run a 4.8 second 40, tell me that????

"howzit" were i'm from means "HELLO" btw... sorry
    and the answer to your question, almost the whole front line, both games have got some BIG mf's, and as much as you respect football, i feel the same about rugga.... now imagine this if you started a sport combinding the two, that would be interesting.....

123A the score i gave was the the rugby league against wales.But the NZ vs ENG game is this weekend and you should read some of the shit the english press is saying like "NZ is sending over their 5th rate hooker, their 3rd rate props and the only player worthy of playing is starting on the bench johna lomu". Well i wonder what they will say when they lose.

Originally posted by buff87

Bro I already said I respect Rugby players, how much more you want from me??? To kiss their ass? Cus that will never happen!

I still say Football players are just plain and simple bigger faster men and when the hit you there's gonna be more pain involved... How many Rugby players bench over 500lbs and squat 700lbs, and can still run a 4.8 second 40, tell me that????
    With all due respect bro, you obviously don't know much about rugby if you think there aren't guys benching more than 500 and squatting more than 700. The difference is rugby players don't run 40's we run the whole length of the field then do it again without stops. Now don't go telling me football players run more than rugby players cause then you really showing the ignorant side to you. Come on now As far as the bigger guys hitting harder, that all gets cancelled out with all the padding bro. Tell me something, what would hurt more? Getting crunched by 300 pounds of muscle with pads on or getting crunched by 300 pounds of muscle with no pads? I REST MY CASE
    Keep well bro

I love how all you Rugby guys get so serious when people side with Pro Football being tougher...

All I can say is line 11 rugby players against 11 NFL Pros and see what happens...

My money says the rugby bros as tough as they are will get the shit knocked out of them...

All I can say is line 11 rugby players against 11 NFL Pros and see what happens...

My money says the rugby bros as tough as they are will get the shit knocked out of them...
    No Pads...ANY DAY bro!! but how will they be competing against each other? what will they be playing?

Pads or no pads bro I say just line them up and let them knock the shit outta each other...

I've seen some pretty tough Rugby players bro, but honestly I've never seen the 300lbs monster type you're talking about... Seen plenty of 240lbs to 250lbs bros that looked tough as nails, but that hardly puts them in the class of a nasty ass offensive or defensive linemen in the NFL...

well, then you'll see a 250lb+ rugby player kicking a 300lb monsters ass...hehe! p.s. with his helmet on 2

ECKO 747 is offline Associate Member
    Bros Rugby is not only a tougher sport but a better sport..... Football is no where near as exciting as Rugby (even though it gets the most media coverage)....Football is for lil girlie types who are to scared to break a nail and have to wear pads for protection.... Rugby is pure Test and adrenalin, a man sport in the least.....

Originally posted by 123A
    well, then you'll see a 250lb+ rugby player kicking a 300lb monsters ass...hehe! p.s. with his helmet on 2

You guys make me laugh....

I've seen some pretty tough Rugby players bro, but honestly I've never seen the 300lbs monster type you're talking about... Seen plenty of 240lbs to 250lbs bros that looked tough as nails, but that hardly puts them in the class of a nasty ass offensive or defensive linemen in the NFL...
    The difference is the 250 lbs rugby players last 80 minutes on the field with a ten minute break, teh 300lb football players line up, fall against each other, have a break, do it again, and maybe once more, then they go sit on the sideline for a while
    I must say, this thread is pretty funny isn't it

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Buff you mah bro but a football player would be owned by a rugby player.

D.L. is offline Junior Member
    Football is not as touch, you almost doesn't feel a thing... so I must say I like rugby alot but here in Denmark everybody is playing soccer AND IT SUCKS BIGTIME!!!

Vegas Kid is offline Senior Member
    You got 300 lb lineman in Football, but I doubt any of them can actually move around non stop for 5 minutes in a row let alone 80 min. I'm sure football players are stronger but there is no way in hell that some 350lb lineman could last a half.

Hell, you got recievers and rb's who almost pass out after running 80 yards. There over on the bench with the O2 mask on and gasping for air.

Come on, you guys can't be serious about this football thing being tougher.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information