Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    maguilagorilla is offline Associate Member

whos the greatest?

how many people think emmit smith is the greatest running back of all time? i personally think he is

tt333 is offline Senior Member
    I'd have to say Jim Brown.

Rugby13 is offline Member

Re: whos the greatest?

Originally posted by maguilagorilla
    how many people think emmit smith is the greatest running back of all time? i personally think he is
    Don't know the history of the game to well but I'll have to say I agree with you on this one, see we agree on some things bro...

palme is offline Rosie Member

Re: whos the greatest?

Originally posted by maguilagorilla

Im with you bro

(yes i have followed football!)

Emmit is the man!

FaTbAcK is offline Banned
    Palme & Rugby13, I'm surprised you can spell football much less vote on who the best player is.....lol, just bustin yo balls........good to see you show interest in a sport that lures in SO many.......

Back to the best, Im not an Emmitt fan but statistically HE IS THE BEST, therefore there should be no argument. If I had to have one RB on my team though it definately would have been Payton.

now i think emmit is the greatest stat wise and a great rb but i really like tony dorsett...if a had an all maguila team at rb id probably have emmit payton and sanders,i really dont think there are alot a guys that can hold a handle on them, what do you guys think?

My All-Fatback team's rb's would be Payton, Sanders, Earl CAmpbell (hes a pure ponderback)

Originally posted by FaTbAcK
    My All-Fatback team's rb's would be Payton, Sanders, Earl CAmpbell (hes a pure ponderback)
    dude! campbell was a baaad man but so was hershel walker and who can forget bo jackson too bad his career ended early

true, I might would have taken Bo over Campbell pre injury.....

there are alot of other good rb dickerson,riggins,czonka well he wasnt a rb but he was good anyway

tt333 is offline Senior Member
    Bo could of been the greatest if he didnt get hurt.

Originally posted by Diesel
    Sorry guys, Emmit is NOT to greatest of all time IMO.

Look at the teams he played with around him versus that of Walter Payton. Payton played on piss poor teams year in and year out (except two years) while Emmit was on a Dynasty.

I am not taking anything away from him but facts are facts.

The all time best IMO ----- Barry Sanders. He is the only guy I have ever seen where you watched a play over and over again and by the third and fourth time you saw it, you still could not believe what he did.
    If he was still playing (and he still could play) he would have destroyed the rushing record and would still be adding to it. It would be at a point where Emmit could not even come close. And he would have done it on nothing but shitty teams.

D
    dude whos got the record? thanks, and by the by the cowboys have been pretty bad these past years yet he still rushed for over a thousand yards and was able to get the recordand how about his few first years the boys werent exactly a winner yet he was able to run dont take anything away from the man he did it! barry and payton are were great and the fact that they didnt win as much or wernt on a better team doesnt mean they were better huh? well you know what i mean.

JDOGGG is offline New Member
    The bets of al times easy: barry sanders. sanders never had a team smith was on a killer team for years except for recent.

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Check out Emmit's bio on NFL.com, click on the Boys icon and go to rosters- it speaks for itself.

Also to note. In a recent press confrence after the record was broken, Emmit expressed that he thought Barry was the best to ever play and aknowledged the record would have been taken by Barry less his retirment or injury.

Never the less, Barry washed himself up plain and simple. He had a contract that he signed and agreed to and he bitched out on his team. I think his abilities as a RB are amazing but whos to say what kind of team Detroit would have today if Barry would of HONORED his obligation.

One was great, the other still is. Thats the how the ball bounces-The Cowboy way.

trimunex is offline Senior Member
    My vote .. Barry "I'll break your ankles" Sanders. Like Emmitt said in his post-game interview on Sunday, "If Barry were still playing, he'd have over 20k rushing yards." But that's just my vote!

Ocnorb36 is offline Junior Member
    I am definantly partial to Barry Sanders and I will tell you why. He is the only back (ok sweetness had some of this trait as well) that when he made 11 men look silly and took it to the house you would never see a celebration. He always handed the ball to the ref and went back to work. Class act. But lets bring up a few ground warriors long forgotten. Gale Sayers only played in 68 games (roughly 4 NFL seasons) and was elected to the Hall in his first year of eligibility. Additionally, although he is a killer (IMO), you cannot deny that on the field OJ Simpson could tear it up. Playing for the most pathetic team in the AFC, he racked up 2000 yards in 14 games. Never been done since. Just my .02.

Oc

Originally posted by Ocnorb36
    I am definantly partial to Barry Sanders and I will tell you why. He is the only back (ok sweetness had some of this trait as well) that when he made 11 men look silly and took it to the house you would never see a celebration. He always handed the ball to the ref and went back to work. Class act. But lets bring up a few ground warriors long forgotten. Gale Sayers only played in 68 games (roughly 4 NFL seasons) and was elected to the Hall in his first year of eligibility. Additionally, although he is a killer (IMO), you cannot deny that on the field OJ Simpson could tear it up. Playing for the most pathetic team in the AFC, he racked up 2000 yards in 14 games. Never been done since. Just my .02.

Oc
    first of all why would anyone be a denver fan?? and then admit to it? anyway yeah gale was great and so was o.j ( by the way he is INNOCENT!) but admit it guys smith has the record and he does have alot of heart and guts he has never stopped playing and he restructerd his contract to keep on playing in dallas, barry was great but he quit, besides walter himself said if there was anyone he could see owning the record it would be emmit

seniormateus is offline Associate Member
    I have to agree with TT333 on this one. Based on what he did when he played it was hands down Jim Brown. He lead the NFL in rushing 8 out of 9 years. He was similar to Jordan or the Babe in pure domination of a sport during his era. He walked away on top and if he continued to play he would haved smashed Walter and Emmits records. I thought Bo Jackson could have been the best ever but Barry Sanders was my favorite to watch play.

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    There is no contest. Barry could do things that noone else could. Other rb's would look at him and wonder how the hell he did what he did. I hate the way he ended his career. I have no respect for the guy after that but he was the master.

i just saw emmit smith run to history, and let me tell you emmit can make people mis or could and he was tuogh any of you naysayers need to watch it on espn, dude he is the real deal! dont take away from thwe man 5 rushing championsips three superbowl rings and the all time rushing record and he still cant get no respect!? what does he have to do? please!!hate or love he gots the record and probably no one will break for a long time!!

http://www.totalcowboys.com/emmittnflrecords.htm

Maguilagorilla-----your not doing your boy justice. The link above is a tribute to ALL his records. Keep in mind, when you are talking about great running backs you must consider the intangibles. How about pass receiving?? How about blocking?? Blitz pick up?? Leadership?? Toughness?? Yes Emmitt had all those things. The problem is with different people your going to get different opinions and you cannot change what others think. The more you try, the more frustrated you will get. There are a lot of great backs and every bro on this board recognizes Emmitt is great. By the way, if you are a Cowboys fan I am sorry. Your championship days are over. The Broncos could always use a few more fans on the bandwagon. It is ok to admit that the Broncos are going to push around the AFC this year. Heh, you always have the Texans right!!!!!

Oc p.s.-----Jerry Jones needs his ass kicked---I say run him on a crossing pattern and let Woodson smack him.

http://www.totalcowboys.com/emmittnflrecords.htm

Maguilagorilla-----your not doing your boy justice. The link above is a tribute to ALL his records. Keep in mind, when you are talking about great running backs you must consider the intangibles. How about pass receiving?? How about blocking?? Blitz pick up?? Leadership?? Toughness?? Yes Emmitt had all those things. The problem is with different people your going to get different opinions and you cannot change what others think. The more you try, the more frustrated you will get. There are a lot of great backs and every bro on this board recognizes Emmitt is great. By the way, if you are a Cowboys fan I am sorry. Your championship days are over. The Broncos could always use a few more fans on the bandwagon. It is ok to admit that the Broncos are going to push around the AFC this year. Heh, you always have the Texans right!!!!!

Oc p.s.-----Jerry Jones needs his ass kicked---I say run him on a crossing pattern and let Woodson smack him.
    hey bro im not trying to change anyones mind i know how football fans sre im just trying to get him some respect and as for the info on him im the worst kinda of fan ...an uneducated fan!! know what i mean! everyone gets there years and the boys are over but that cant stop me from ruoting for them they'll be back!! you just watch! i would never be a denver fan i liked elway and oj but thats it, im aint to crazy about jj but he did get us troy michael and emmit and three rings so cant complain too much..........ah well sometimes the truth is hard to admit and it does sometimes hurt GO! EMMIT GO!

trimunex is offline Senior Member
    As far as the RESPECT issue, well I'm not going to get into that. I'll just say I'm tired of hearing players and fans crying like whittle, whittle babies about not getting respect .. to the players, just Shut-Up and play.

Anyway, back to the Emmitt issue. All I'm going to say to the Emmitt fans, is when you are remembering how 'great' Emmitt is/was, don't forget about 'the MOOSE'. He was an important part of Dallas' running game.

Wimmpy is offline Associate Member
    Definetly Barry! But I think OJ is a close second!

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    Barry Sanders is the greatest. Emmitt is great but he had a Super Bowl calibre team when he was in his prime.

kreper69 is offline Associate Member
    hey bro i know he's not the greatest, but one of my favorite backs was Robert Smith.. flame away, but i've been a true minnesota fan for years...

Now I know I'm showing my ignorant side to football here but correct me if I'm wrong. Emmit smith is a RB while Jerry Rice is a WR right? Then this doesn't count in this thread but I saw a stat last night saying jerry rice had by far the most touchdowns and some other records as well

Good to see you paying attention to the superior sport (hehe). Yes, Rice actually broke 2 records on Monday night (much to my dismay!!!). One, he became the first football player to have over 200 touchdowns in his career (201) and broke Walter's all time yards-from-scrimmage record. Rice is an amazing athlete for 40years old. Congrats on your rugby accomplishments by the way.

Oc
    Last edited by Ocnorb36; 11-13-2002 at 08:40 PM.

Thank Oc

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Cowboys have had a bad team the last few years, but for most of the time emmit was there, he had one of the best offensive lines, and a great QB in aikman. When u look at barry, well thats all the lions had. Lions O line always sucks, and until harrington, our QBs have sucked more then any cowboy QB ever. I'm from detroit and every time the lions play everyone talks about how much they suck, and its been that way the last at least 10 years. The only thing that kept ppl watching for a long time was barry, u watch him and he just dazzles you. When he retired, i remember ppl saying they wanted to break his legs, ppl loved him, but when he left like that, he really dissed the fans.

Payton was in the same type of situation as Sanders, the bears have never had a QB, and he played on alot of bad teams for alot of years. Payton still managed just like Barry.

When u look at Emmit's record, it took him 2 more games then payton to break his record. Emmit overall had a shitload more to work with then payton and barry ever had. Not only that, emmit is just boring to watch. I mean yeah he's tough and he runs hard every play, but other then that he has nothing on barry.

I guarantee that Barry has been on ESPN alot more then Emmit, Barry has more highlights in one season then emmit has in his entire career. Too bad Barry didn't keep playing, he was on pace to break paytons record about 2 seasons faster.

Big_Dippin is offline Associate Member
    If you look at the greatest from a statistical standpoint, then yes-E. Smith is the best. But I have to take Walter Payton as the best running back ever. He had a complete game that noone compares to. Barry Sanders had all the moves, but couldn't block worth a shit. Plus Payton acheived his stats with a shitty team, all but 2 years that he was there.

TestTubeBaby is offline Associate Member
    Bo would have been the best except for injury, he was just a genetic freak. From what I've heard and read, Bo hated lifting and running, and hardly did so. An up and coming back is Michael Bennett, plays for the Vikings...he has the potential to be the best, give him time and you'll see. you already can, he gets 15-20 carries per a game, but then has the highest rushing average out of any back right now i believe, with a 5.5?

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Originally posted by TestTubeBaby
    Michael Bennett, plays for the Vikings
    He does have a lot of potential. Another guy I've been paying attention to is Portis on Denver. That man is going to great one day.

Originally posted by Big_Dippin
    Barry Sanders had all the moves, but couldn't block worth a shit. Plus Payton acheived his stats with a shitty team, all but 2 years that he was there.
    I don't know when the lions have ever been great, and i am from detroit. How do u expect Barry to be a good blocker when he is like 5'4, and weighs nothing compared to a defensive end

Saboudian:

Your from Detroit and you don't know when the Lions were ever great? They won the first NFL championship in 1935 and 4 titles in the 1950's. That's when they were great. In the 1990's they made 6 playoff appearances and were in the 1991 NFC championship game in which they were spanked by the eventual champion Redskins. As far as Barry is concerned he was 5'8" and 200 lbs and could squat reps with 600lbs. If they needed him to block believe me he could handle a defensive end. Blocking in the backfield you always cut the big men and face up the secondary blitzers. Give your Detroit runner some kudos. The man was great.

Oc

Saboudian:

Your from Detroit and you don't know when the Lions were ever great? They won the first NFL championship in 1935 and 4 titles in the 1950's. That's when they were great. In the 1990's they made 6 playoff appearances and were in the 1991 NFC championship game in which they were spanked by the eventual champion Redskins. As far as Barry is concerned he was 5'8" and 200 lbs and could squat reps with 600lbs. If they needed him to block believe me he could handle a defensive end. Blocking in the backfield you always cut the big men and face up the secondary blitzers. Give your Detroit runner some kudos. The man was great.

Oc
    I always forget about those 1935 and 50's teams, who doesn't? That is going a bit far back don't ya think, i'm surprised u would even bother bringing them up.

I wasn't saying he couldn't block, but i don't think he was necessarily a great blocking back, just the fact that he was in the game opened up the pass. I think to understand the lions, u really got to be in michigan. To see every local channel making fun of them, even hearing the jokes on Leno, seeing thousands of fans at the games with paper bags on their heads, always hearing " we still got the wings". Even when they were in the playoffs, they never realistically had a shot, i would guess most of those playoff appearances were 1st round losses. The lions just always get a bad hand, bad QB's, bad coaches, bad staff, and i like to wonder who would put in a rookie head coach and president in the same season. Up until this season, the lions were mostly old guys, no salary cap room, and no future. Luckily they got a couple players this year, namely finally a QB, but the problems they face are still lingering and will plague for at least a few more years. They need massive rebuilding.

Don't get me wrong, i love Barry, and the lions are still my favorite team and always will be. You just have to understand that for a long time, he was the only reason to watch the lions, there were no other stars on the team. When he left, everyone acted liked they didn't need him, but they really did. The one thing that really surprises me is how high attendance is, before and after barry. They sell out games even when they have the worst record.

I just want to end this arguement, for every reason that u can come up with that the lions were ever good, its very easy for me to talk all day about the bad side. The only think i'm glad for is that at least we're not the bengals.

decadbal is offline Banned
    BARRY SANDERS, look at his team and line, if he had emmits line, emmit woudlnt even hold a record, plus ive met emmit smith and hes a complete pile of dog****, asshole, who thinks he owns the world, barry may be the same, atleast he earned the yards he got, he didnt have them handed to him by the biggest line in the NFL. and John Riggins is the man, i believe he still owns one of the nfl rushing records in the superbowl. START THAT DIESEL UP

ItalianMuscle is offline Senior Member
    I have to say walter payton

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    not to knock emmit further, or faulk for that matter.. but this season priest holmes might break both the rushing TD record and the total TD records set by both of them.

Not to mention, ladianian tomlinson has had over 1500 yards of total offense in every season he's played, and 2 of the three seasons were over 2000 total yards. He plays for the chargers for christ sakes.. they've got one of the worst lines in football, and his first season is often considered "the hardest 1000 rushing yards ever attained".

These guys are up and comers for sure.. especially tomlinson. But of all time, it's got to be sanders. go on kazaa and download some of his highlights.. he'd break 3, 4, 5, 6 tackles and run 40 yards for a td ON A REGULAR BASIS. There's one i love where he drops a 300 lb lineman with a stiffarm at full speed. he was great. amazing to watch. reminds me of priest's last season where just no one could touch him.
    Last edited by chrisAdams; 12-19-2003 at 11:00 AM.

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by saboudian

I just want to end this arguement, for every reason that u can come up with that the lions were ever good, its very easy for me to talk all day about the bad side. The only think i'm glad for is that at least we're not the bengals.
    Don't the bengals have a winning record this season? I'm pretty sure they're still in the playoff race.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information