Rugby13 is offline Member

Any true sprinters in here?

Just wondering...I ran 11sec flat in my senior year on grass, that was in 1998. I have been training a little but I wanted to know if there are any good training programs online to increase speed?

jleighty17 is offline Associate Member
    squats lunges :-)
    the cure for everything.
    JLI

How many reps per set...how much weight?

just whatever u can do weight wise 8-10 reps
    a friend of mine was running a 4.5 and by getting his legs that much stronger he is running a 4.36
    JLI

FaTbAcK is offline Banned
    I run a 4.37, 5'11" 230, havent ran the 100 since high school state qualifiers but ran a 10.67 and got last, I was the ONLY white dude by the way.....but what works for me now is a parachute, squats, running up hills and running down hills (focus on your stride downhill and your expolsion uphill), swimming pool excercises are good, plyometrics, and NATURAL speed (this is a key).............by the way 11 flat isnt too shabby on grass dude, keep it up

Thanks fatback, I appreciate it, I've never run on track actually. Might be interesting if I got the opportunity.

TestTubeBaby is offline Associate Member
    glut ham raises, power cleans, hang cleans, and plyo drills, they train ur fast twitch. im in an OD program...if you want anything else like drills etc you can PM me.

and dont do the up and downhill drills by the way.

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Responding to fatback:
    about natural speed and him being the only white guy in the race

THis is something i read bout genetics a while back, black ppl tend to be faster in part because their calves are more stretched out and i guess this helps with speed. I heard some black bodybuilders have some trouble building their calves up, cuz they are naturally fairly stretched out.

Also, black people tend to have better genetics because of what happened to them in the first couple hundred years of american history. Just stating facts not discriminating.

those aren't facts buddy, i'm sorry. black athletes on average are faster because a larger percentage of them have high fast twitch ratios. calves stretched out? that has NOTHING to do with it. also, white athletes can have the same amount of fast twitch as black athletes, but on average, its pretty rare. also, black athletes have limb proportions well suited for speed they're long and (lower leg close or equal to length of upper leg). again, white athletes can be blessed with the same proportions, and fast twitch etc, but on average, doesn't happen nearly as often. those are the facts...

is there a way to increase the fast twitch ratio? I feel i have natural speed. like i said, i ran the 100m in 11 sec (in my senior year) on grass with no sprinting training. we had our school sprinting competition once a year so that's basically what my sprinting consisted of, besides for my sports like rugby etc. I have good leg strength, not huge legs but they are strong for their size.
    Last edited by Rugby13; 11-18-2002 at 07:01 PM.

size and strength dont always go together, and huge amounts of strength dont have much to do with speed.

plyometric train your fast twitch. also explosive movements/lifts, hang clean, power snatch, power clean, split jerks, etc

Thanks bro. Are you currently training for sprinting or what do you do?

yep, im a sprinter.

what event do you do? times?

indoor 60m, 100m outdoor, 4x100m. PM if you wanna know times. peace

bro ur crazy if u say strength doesnt equate to speed y do u think every damn sprinter in the olympics is massive because the stronger your legs are it is easier move mass( your body) across a surface(the track) y do u think cars that weigh more have to have more power to be as fast as lighter ones. genetics play a huge role in it too its all about your fast twitch fibers which you are born with only so many u cant add more but you can make the ones u have stronger.
    JLI
    Last edited by jleighty17; 11-24-2002 at 09:11 PM.

i know this, but im saying, for the most part, strength doesnt have too much to do w/ it, cuz how many people make it to the olympics? yea thought so, but also, carl was not strong, neither was calvin smith, frankie fredericks are just some examples. i didnt start lifting til 2 months ago, and ive been sprinting 3 years, and i guarantee that im fast

Thread Information