EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator

Bechler's wife to sue Cytodyne

Background:
    Baltimore Oriole pitcher Steve Bechler died while allegedly having Xenadrine RFA-1 in his system. He had not eaten solid food during the two days before his death. He had pre-existing liver problems and hypertension. He was also overweight.

Update:
    Kiley Bechler is vowing to sue Cytodyne Technologies (the makers of Xenadrine) for his death. Her lawyer announced that they "intend to get this product off the shelves and put the manufacturer out of business."

Cytodyne responded by saying "The death of Steve Bechler is tragic and our condolences go out to his family. However, the position of the attorney making this accusation is based on neither fact nor science. Xenadrine has been used safely and effectively by over 20 million people in the U.S. alone. ... There is not a single clinical study that has shown ephedra to be unsafe. In view of this, it's reckless for anyone to point blame for Mr. Bechler's tragic death at this product."

Cytodyne also responded to the blame placed on them by the Orioles organization by saying "It's unfortunate that the Orioles' organization has chosen to ignore the fact that Mr. Bechler had a history of hypertension, liver disease and heat illness episodes and that he was allowed to exercise without proper hydration and nutrition."

The Baltimore Orioles will be giving Kiley Bechler financial assistance.
    Last edited by EXCESS; 02-25-2003 at 01:16 PM.

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    His own fault IMO he hadn't eaten real food in 2 days, he was an idiot and died because he knew nothing about dieting. He should have logged a couple hours on this board and he would have still been alive.

Pain

babi is offline Associate Member
    dude hypertension and high blood pressure is the same thing

kc
    kc is offline Female Member
    wow, little education and alot of common sense woulda helped him out!

durbin22 is offline Member
    The whole thing is bullshit. It's his own fault for taking Xenadrine with high blood pressure, liver disease, and having heat strokes in the past. I hope his wife does not get a dime. If she should sue anyone it should be the Orioles.

JasonNew-b is offline Associate Member
    In my house, with my wife and my kids...and my dog
    WTF? This whole ephedrine witch hunt is bullshit, and the media is only making it worse by running all their bullshit "specials" on how dangerous and addictive ephedra is. Its too bad this guy died, but the facts that are out right now show that this guy died because he wasn't monitoring his water intake, food intake, signs of heat stroke and his forementioned health conditions.

tt333 is offline Senior Member
    Ive got high blood pressure right now 180 over 110 and the doc told me to quit taking any fatburning products. Its not worth dying over. Anyways there not going to take Cytodyne off the shelf. He had high blood pressure so I dont think there going to win a case against that. If she dont get that money from Cytodyne then she'll either sue the O's or his doctor.

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator

MLB bans ephedrine for minor leaguers

Major League Baseball has banned the use of ephedrine for any player with a minor league contract.

Its a shame they're only doing this to save their asses and make Cytodyne the scapegoat. The blame should be placed entirely on Steve Bechler, whether it was a health condition or something he did. You don't make it to the major leagues without learning about health and nutrition. Its obvious that he neglected his safety by not eating and poorly hydrating his body during a grueling workout. I've taken ephedrine on numerous occasions, however I would never take it while not eating and I surely wouldn't take it if my heart rate is high due to a high intensity workout. The label on the bottle clearly warns individuals with the exact health conditions that Bechler had. He chose to ignore the risks. Its too bad that he died.

RealMenBench is offline Junior Member
    we need our own f*cking network so we can put the truth out on all this kind of shit ....

the fat bastard was just that .... a fat bastard, and not to mention his own retarded state .....

sucks for his family yes, but the only person to blame is 6 feet under

Teddy is offline Junior Member

Re: Bechler's wife to sue Cytodyne

Originally posted by EXCESS
    Background:
    The Baltimore Orioles will be giving Kiley Bechler financial assistance.
    IMO, the Bechler family should be sueing the Baltimore Orioles Organization and their trainers for neglect by not educating their players on safe weight loss methods and allowing their overweight son to reach a core body temperature of 106 degrees before removing him from the field.

I have read that Bechler was also wearing multiple layers of clothing in 80+ degree weather. I tell ya what, if I was the trainer at Spring Training I'd put an end to that shit real quick. That combined with any one of the other variables would be much more unsafe than RFA-1 alone.(half-brother died of an exercise induced seizure, hypertension, serious cramping, being overweight, overtraining, not eating)

I have my deepest sympathy for Mr. Bechler's death, however who is really to blame.

- Teddy

Thread Information