Thread: sosa caught

popa is offline Senior Member

sosa caught

I seen on tsn that sosa was caught useing a corked bat, he got busted when his bat broke swinging at a pitch...lol
    does a corked bat help you hit the ball farther or something

jarrett is offline Senior Member
    you can swing with more force with a lighter bat compared to a heavier bat.. I think they should bann his ass from the sport.. make an example of him to other player but no only a 10 game suspension and a lil fine wtf??

durbin22 is offline Member
    I corked bat only increases your swing by 1 mph. As far as banning him that's ridiculous. Even with a corked bat is not going to turn a non homerun hitter into one.

ichiban is offline Female Member
    A corked bat is really light weight.....you can hit harder. At least he's owning up to it!I love it when the pros get busted!!

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    I agree he should get banned. He's supposed to be a professional player, so treat him like one and get rid of him.

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    Ban him? No. Many players are doing the same thing as we speak. The difference is Sosa got caught. Sosa has been one of the few bright spots in the game over the last 5 years. MLB is run by morons but they're smart enough to know that banning Sosa would harm the game more than Sosa harmed the game.

durbin22 is offline Member
    Originally posted by EXCESS
    Ban him? No. Many players are doing the same thing as we speak. The difference is Sosa got caught. Sosa has been one of the few bright spots in the game over the last 5 years. MLB is run by morons but they're smart enough to know that banning Sosa would harm the game more than Sosa harmed the game.
    I completely agree with you.

Ah hell, their all just a bunch of over paid, cry babies anyway. I see your point though and will change my vote, maybe a short suspension peroid is definetly in order though.

ripsid is offline Senior Member
    I say take his gear from him! That will learn him!
    What the F*K does Sammy F*n Sosa need with a corked bat? He has a short right field and more gear pumpin through his muscles that half of this board! And don't let the "I never used the stuff" hinder the before and after pictures of Slammin' Sammy!
    Hell, Barry "USA" Bond's owes his doctor much props and thanks for the prescriptions!
    These guys are amazinG!
    SID

KeyMastur is offline VET
    No chance of him being banned by the sport. He's very strong so I have no idea why he would use a corked bat.

But, for his fans, he's gonna have trouble explaining this one to the folks. As far as I see it, the 1998 homerun derby never happened. McGwire was on "Andro" and now with Sosa using a corked bat (hell, Bonds is on Growth among other things). I still think he'll get it, but this lower's his chances on the Hall of Fame.

Durbin, it increases bat speed by more than 1 mph. Having a corked bat makes it a few ounces lighter, but you're still getting the same length - which gives you more whip.

jleighty17 is offline Associate Member
    Originally posted by KeyMastur
    No chance of him being banned by the sport. He's very strong so I have no idea why he would use a corked bat.

But, for his fans, he's gonna have trouble explaining this one to the folks. As far as I see it, the 1998 homerun derby never happened. McGwire was on "Andro" and now with Sosa using a corked bat (hell, Bonds is on Growth among other things). I still think he'll get it, but this lower's his chances on the Hall of Fame.

Durbin, it increases bat speed by more than 1 mph. Having a corked bat makes it a few ounces lighter, but you're still getting the same length - which gives you more whip.
    this wont hurt his chances of the Hall of Fame at all he will be there the first time he is eligible. there have been 100's of people using a corked bat.
    JLI
    Last edited by jleighty17; 06-04-2003 at 10:04 PM.

An 8-10 game suspension and a fine. That's sort of been the standard lately. Just for comparison, an NHL player receives a 2 minute penalty for using an illegally curved stick.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Originally posted by jleighty17
    this wont hurt his chances of the Hall of Fame at all he will be there the first time he is eligible. there have been 100's of people using a corked bat. the bat when corked also has more jump off the bat and will go farther thats why they cork it not because its lighter.
    JLI
    I know it won't hurt his chances. But it'll make people start to think a little bit more.

So they don't cork it because it's lighter ??? How much would you like to bet on this ?? Take a few ounces of wood out and replace it with ground up cork, or ground up raquetballs. You tell me if it's lighter or not. Compression doesn't play that much of a role in it as you think.

Like I said, it's because of whip. The lighter and longer something is, the farther (further ??) the ball is going to go. Why do you think they make fungoes the way they do ??

Pumped109 is offline Associate Member
    So is he admitting to using the bat during last year too?? What an embarressment to the sport.

ripsid is offline Senior Member
    Slammy says that it's his practice bat! .... what's that smell???? is that Bullshit!????!!!??

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Originally posted by ripsid
    Slammy says that it's his practice bat! .... what's that smell???? is that Bullshit!????!!!??
    Of course it's BS. Baseball players know which bat is for BP (batting practice) and which bats are their gamers. After they are done taking BP they go into the locker room to chill for a bit before the game and most take their stuff with them for fear of it getting stolen. That was the only excuse he could think of to not make himself look so bad, and not make others look bad. He can't go and say "well, so-and-so gave it to me" and rat someone else out. He also can't say "well, yeah, i knew it was corked and i wanted to hit bombs".

He said he wanted to put on a display for the fans. Shit, the wind blows either in or out at Wrigley field. If it's blowing in, no chance you're gonna hit a bomb, because it blows at least 10 mph, if not more. When it blows out, a simple fly ball will carry over the fence.

If you only had 6 bombs in 138 at-bats after being known to dominate the NL, what would you do to get back on track ??

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    This will blow over. Most people still think Albert Belle was one of the best to have played the game and he acted like an asshole to everybody. But he got his props because he earned them. Sammy is good for the game...period! He's affable, approachable, does not have a huge ego and he can crank em out of the park on any given day. I honestly don't think corking a bat makes a big difference in his case...the same could be said of Bonds or McGuire. They are strong men, with good eyes, who know how to hit a long ball. Think about it, if the majority of Sammy's dingers were barely creeping over the fence then yes, maybe the bat made a difference, but this man absolutly launches most of his shots high, long and deep. I say, give him a little slap on the wrist and let him do what he does best...put asses in the seats.

If you only had 6 bombs in 138 at-bats after being known to dominate the NL, what would you do to get back on track ??
    Well said.

chinups Guest
    What are you guys talking about. I would say 80% of all athletes use AS like it was protein, Sammy being one of the leading canidates. Os you see banning a player for corking a bat but letting every athlete grow more in two yrs then they did in 25 yrs is ok. Sorry but I don't agree. The guy is one of the best players out there as far as loving his fans. I say everyone stands by slammin sammy and lets forget about it. FYI-I hate the cubs

tt333 is offline Senior Member
    Who cares, im all about seeing the long ball. But now im wondering if he did and everbody else was using corked bats in the homerun derbys?

None of the bats confiscated by MLB were corked. They also cut open the bat he used for homerun #498 and it wasn't corked either.

flexgolf is offline Member
    who the hell says to ban him. this situation has come up a bunch before....and i dont recall previous players getting banned. he doesnt hit all those homeruns because of a corked bat. he hits them cause he is on AS

Originally posted by flexgolf
    he doesnt hit all those homeruns because of a corked bat. he hits them cause he is on AS
    He is able to hit homeruns because he is a talented hitter. Steroids can assist the task, but they don't make an average person a homerun hitter.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Originally posted by EXCESS
    He is able to hit homeruns because he is a talented hitter. Steroids can assist the task, but they don't make an average person a homerun hitter.
    No doubt. Just like Bonds. People scrutinize him because he's huge - "oh, he's on juice". Juice or not, with a swing like that, it's hard not to hit them.

Anyone catch the David Lettermen Top 10 Sammy Sosa Explanations for Using a Corked Bat.

Anyone catch the David Lettermen Top 10 Sammy Sosa Explanations for Using a Corked Bat.
    "Damn Al-Qaeda!"

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    The fuckin media just crucified Sammy!!These supposed sports experts are the worst for claiming he is tainted and and a cheater!! These fucking dickheads look for chinks in the armour of superstars, just because they are pissed at thier own failed dreams and lack of talent!! It makes me angry when I hear crap like that! While I will stipulate that salaries and profits to owners are astronomical and come at the expenses of the fans, I love sports and sports heros make it compelling to watch. Sammy Sosa is a baseball hero, he sprints out onto the field for every game, he acknowledges the fans, he feels he is blessed to be playing baseball for a living...he seems like a genuinly good guy!! Can you imagine what Football would be like without Butkus, Payton, Staubach, Bradshaw, Swan, Montana, Sanders, Rice or Favre? Or Basketball without Ewing. Johnson, Irving, Bird, Rodman, Wilkins, Jordan, Pippen or Carter? Or Baseball without Rose, Ruth, Aaron, Gehrig, Jackson, Bench, Williams, Yazstremski, Sosa, Bonds or McGuire? Or Hockey without Richard, Plante, Howe, Orr, Esposito, Gretsky, Messier or Roy? Bottom line....heros make it interesting and compelling.

KeyMastur is offline VET

David Letterman Top 10

Top 10 Reasons Why Sosa Used a Corked Bat

Top Ten Sammy Sosa Explanations

10. "My mind was clouded by the anabolic steroids "

9. "Damn Al-Qaeda"

8. "I may be a strong guy, but those bats is heavy"

7. "I wanted to catch the premiere of 'American Juniors' -- man, those kids can sing!"

6. "Hans Blix checked my bat for three months without finding any cork"

5. "Wanted to do something to take the heat off my girlfriend, Martha Stewart"

4. "Threat of rain necessitated a more buoyant bat"

3. "If you hit home runs you get paid $20 million a year, dumb ass"

2. "I was Punk'd"

1. "Pete Rose bet me I wouldn't do it"

All 5 of Sosa's bats that are in the hall of fame were x-rayed and all of them were found to be corked. At least that's what they just said on the news radio show the guy in the next office is listening too. I can't believe this crap. If it's true, he's lost all respect from me, if it's not than to hell with the media. I can understand using AS to better your performance, but to altar your equipment is plain stupid.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Originally posted by BIG TEXAN
    All 5 of Sosa's bats that are in the hall of fame were x-rayed and all of them were found to be corked. At least that's what they just said on the news radio show the guy in the next office is listening too. I can't believe this crap. If it's true, he's lost all respect from me, if it's not than to hell with the media.
    No, it's not true. Here's a link with story provided :

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/ne...=.jsp&c_id=mlb
    Last edited by KeyMastur; 06-05-2003 at 11:33 AM.

jarrett is offline Senior Member
    did ya'll watch espn this mornign with jose conseco saying the only reason why they are giving him such a hard time is because he's black and cause he has acomplished so much being from the dominican republic.. I think this shit has gone way to far. the man comitted a crime in the MLB and should be punished.. a slap on the hand is not permisible . they should fine him way more than 30k and at least suspend him without pay for the remainder of the season.. I swear these players are the bigest bunch of babies out there wanna cry casue there not getting paided enough then wanna cheat the system by using steriods and bats that have been altered

Thanks Key! I wasn't to sure about that story. I don't believe it was an accident though. HE knew what he did and should pay for it, way more than 30K anyways. I mean hell that's like me someone making $30,000 a year having to pay a $5 fine. He makes millions.... I say fine him at leasr 6 digits. These players don't realize how good they have it. Hell getting paid all that money because they can hit or catch a damn ball. It's not like they're saving lives or something. Ok enough of my whining!

chinups Guest
    When he picked that shit up he prob knew. But they did test his bats and non were corked but that one. I love SLAMMIN SAMMY!!!!!! Fine him whatever but you got to love a nice guy like him.....

Originally posted by jarrett
    they should fine him way more than 30k and at least suspend him without pay for the remainder of the season.
    The problem is MLB has set the precident by suspending past offenders 7-10 games. There is ZERO chance Sosa will be suspended for the remainder of the season. The guideline for suspensions should be more harsh, but suspending him for the remainder of the season will only harm the league more at this moment. As far as MLB is concerned, 'Sosa' is Spanish for 'money'.

Originally posted by BIG TEXAN
    All 5 of Sosa's bats that are in the hall of fame were x-rayed and all of them were found to be corked. At least that's what they just said on the news radio show the guy in the next office is listening too.
    You must have been listening to Jim Rome or another one of those Hard Copy style sports shows. Its not like the Hall of Fame takes his bats from him as he walks off the field. They request the bat and Sosa decides if he wants to give the bat. Even if he always used corked bats, he could still substitute a legal bat to donate to the hall.

tt333 is offline Senior Member
    I saw the Canseco interview and he blew his shit way out of porportion. He's just a fucking Coke head that tried to run over his wife. Anyways, I dont care if they used cork bats or not. Baseball is already boring as hell. I love playing but I hate watching. The fans want to see the long ball, so fuck give it to them.

Excess- I realize that, I was just posting what I heard. Thanks to Key, I got to read the real story.

Originally posted by tt333
    I saw the Canseco interview and he blew his shit way out of porportion. He's just a fucking Coke head that tried to run over his wife.
    I saw that too. Canseco's a joke and so is his legacy. He makes shit up for attention and the media eats it up. He said this is only a big story because Sosa isn't white. Not true. Its a big story because Sosa is one of the biggest stars in baseball. Wilton Guerrero isn't white and nobody blew his corking situation out of proportion because he isn't a big star.

animal333 is offline New Member
    Sorry Cubs fans, but Karma is a bitch. Good job Sammy.

decadbal is offline Banned
    im just wondering why waste time talkin about baseball, its the most boring **** on tv, id rather watch soap operas than that crap. sosas a chump, just like the rest who cant play football...lol

Thread Information